Zappa Plays Zappa: Tour de Frank!
May 1, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillC
Yeah, it's a real shame that no one that played with Zappa ever seemed to do anything afterwards.

very_evil_smiley.gif

How untrue...

George Duke, Terry Bozio, Ansley Dunbar, Steve Vai...
?

These guys did nothing?
confused.gif

EDIT: I may have mis-read that. Sarcasm intended?
My appologies.

May 2, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
How untrue...

George Duke, Terry Bozio, Ansley Dunbar, Steve Vai...
?

These guys did nothing?
confused.gif

My appologies.

so mr. sarcasm detector (j/k!), are you gonna go? vai and bozzio are both supposed to be there.

May 2, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman

My appologies.

Even with an evil smilie sarcasm just doesn't always translate onto the web.
biggrin.gif

Zappa's ability to attract, hire and nurture talent as a bandleader rivals his talents to compose and play in my book.

May 2, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #19 of 32
hey... quick advice needed:

which should i purchase next, You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 1 or Uncle Meat?

May 4, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #21 of 32
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo. Is sold out. I was gonna go to see Vai live. I wonder if he would play tender surrender though. I heard Dweezel Zappa has become an amazing guitarist.

Still. NOOOOOOOOOooooo

May 8, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
hey... quick advice needed:

which should i purchase next, You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 1 or Uncle Meat?

c'mon... someone's gotta have an opinion on these two. i just can't decide!

(also a shameless bump)

May 8, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #24 of 32
I would say go with Uncle Meat, it’s my favorite of his early period and has some of his best classical inspired musical passages. It is also about as weird as it gets even for zappa, but if you like that then go for it. While I enjoy the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore series I usually go straight to the studio albums because I enjoy the polish and production more. Hope that helps.

May 8, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by king896
I would say go with Uncle Meat, it’s my favorite of his early period and has some of his best classical inspired musical passages. It is also about as weird as it gets even for zappa, but if you like that then go for it. While I enjoy the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore series I usually go straight to the studio albums because I enjoy the polish and production more. Hope that helps.

interesting, thanks. i used to shy away from Zappa's live albums, because i generally preferred studio production for rock and pop in general.

however, once i realized that several of his erstwhile "studio" albums were actually live performances with overdubs, i got Roxy & Elsewhere and Zappa in New York, and was blown away by the quality of both the musicianship and the production. not to mention they weren't just rehashes of the studio versions of songs, but a combination of new songs and different arrangements.

turns out, Zappa strongly preferred the energy and improvisation of live performances, so he put a lot of effort into his live albums. so lately, i've been listening to his live albums a lot more than his studio stuff.

having said that, i do really dig his early 70s instrumental albums, especially Burnt Weeny Sandwich and The Grand Wazoo.

May 18, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #26 of 32
an update... since i know everyone has been trembling in anticipation over which album i'd end up buying... i got You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 1.

the sound quality is generally top rate, but it varies widely since it's a survey of live material from 1969 to 1988. but the performances are fantastic... it definitely gives a better idea of what a Frank Zappa concert was like than the other live albums i have (Roxy & Elsewhere, Zappa in New York, Filmore East). the improvisation is unbelievable, as are the arrangements. and the bands are mindblowingly tight. HIGHLY recommended for Zappa fans.

Jun 12, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #27 of 32
the show is tonight at the Beacon!

i've got orchestra seats, and i'm freakin' excited. i hear they've added "Chunga's Revenge" to their setlist, with a solo from Frank himself, as played via video on a huge screen behind the stage.

i hope Ike Willis and Terry Bozzio are there for the show. i'll post a report tomorrow... if anyone gives a ratsass.

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
the show is tonight at the Beacon!

i've got orchestra seats, and i'm freakin' excited. i hear they've added "Chunga's Revenge" to their setlist, with a solo from Frank himself, as played via video on a huge screen behind the stage.

i hope Ike Willis and Terry Bozzio are there for the show. i'll post a report tomorrow... if anyone gives a ratsass.

I do give a ratsass, since I can't see them in Chicago. Let us know your impressions!

A_Sr.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #29 of 32
ok... here's the report:

before the show, they played uncut zappa concert footage from the 70s... which got several standing ovations.

Dweezil and the gang played a lot of the old favorites... sort of a greatest hits collection, which is to be expected.

Napoleon Murphy Brock did almost all the singing, except when Terry Bozzio came out for the second set and played a few of his classics (punky's whips, tryin' to grow a chin).

Dweezil was a very mellow and understated stage presence. his playing was excellent (on his dad's old Gibson SG), but sometimes it almost seemed like he was intimidated by his father's ghost. He didn't really command the show, the way frank would have.

Steve Vai didn't come out until the second set, after Bozzio's turn in the spotlight. i'm not much of a fan of shredders, but Vai and Dweezil had some really good guitar duels... although the warm, tubey sound from Zappa's SG was a little overwhelmed Vai's ultra-bright guitar-hero sound. Dweezil didn't showboat... Vai did (and brought the house down).

The band was incredibly tight, although not as spontaneous as Frank's old bands were.

Overall, the evening was a fantastic tribute, if not quite equal to the real thing.

some of the highlights:

Florentine Pogen
Pygmy Twilite
Zombie Woof
Inca Roads
Peaches en Regalia
Punky's Whips
The Black Page
Chunga's Revenge (with a solo from frank via videoscreen)
Idiot person Son
Let's Make the Water Turn Black
Montana
Don't Eat the Yellow Snow/St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast/Father O'Blivion
Cheepnis
Trouble Every Day (finished off with a mindblowing drum duel)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back