Zappa Plays Zappa: Tour de Frank!
Apr 27, 2006 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

VicAjax

Headphoneus Supremus
Dweezil, Ahmet and the ZFT are taking it on the road...

playing the music of Frank Zappa with a bunch of his old sidemen, including Terry Bozzio, Steve Vai and Napoleon Murphy Brock...

and I HAVE TIX TO THE SHOW AT THE BEACON!!!

woo hoo!

dweezil had better not ****** this up.
cool.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 32
oh c'mon. i know there's some love for zappa round here. who's going?

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 32
Hey man, thanks a MILLION for posting this info!!! I've got a close friend in Phoenix who's been a Zappa follower since his earliest days. I just turned him on to the Dodge Theater date. Mucho gracias!!

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 32
Wish I could make a show. I saw Zappa on the "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar" tour with Vai in his band. The two of them trading licks on "Whipping Post" as an encore was mind blowing.

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
dweezil had better not ****** this up.
cool.gif

Incidentally, I was at the Surround Pro awards in 2003 when Dweezil played two of Frank's numbers after accepting a posthumous award to Frank. He most certainly did not ****** it up. He played 'em like the masterpieces they are.

M

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
Incidentally, I was at the Surround Pro awards in 2003 when Dweezil played two of Frank's numbers after accepting a posthumous award to Frank. He most certainly did not ****** it up. He played 'em like the masterpieces they are.

M

yeah, there's an interview on the website with Dweezil, where he said he basically locked himself away so he could take his guitar playing to a whole new level.

in fact, he's planning on doing "The Black Page" during the tour... which was never really meant to be played on guitar. so i do have hope.

Apr 28, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 32
Long ago, in the hazy days of my youth, I saw Frank when Belew was in the band. Rather astounding as I had no idea who Adrian was, but boy could he play. Whatever happened to him anyway?
evil_smiley.gif

I want to go to the show in Chicago, but at $55 for the cheapest ticket (and that doesn't include all of the wonderful Ticketmaster charges) I don't think I can swing it for two of us.
frown.gif

A_Sr.

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 32
I don't know if Adrian has done any touring but he is still around and making music. He has a couple of recent releases.

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
I don't know if Adrian has done any touring but he is still around and making music. He has a couple of recent releases.

biggrin.gif
Sorry, I was making with the funny. Belew has been a part of King Crimson since the '80's, played with Bowie, Talking Heads, Laurie Anderson and about a bazillion other folks. It's so hard to express the funny via typing sometimes.
icon10.gif

A_Sr.

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 32
Me and my friend are going to pick up tickets for the Beacon Theater next Friday, the only question is how much we should spend on these!

As being a young child when FZ passed this is as close to seeing his greatness that I will be able to witness with my own eyes. I am so excited, this year has been great musically so far!

May 1, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by king896
Me and my friend are going to pick up tickets for the Beacon Theater next Friday, the only question is how much we should spend on these!

As being a young child when FZ passed this is as close to seeing his greatness that I will be able to witness with my own eyes. I am so excited, this year has been great musically so far!

did you manage to get tix? i think it might be sold out.

May 1, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 32
no not yet
eek.gif
, I was waiting till I go to work on Friday to pass by the Beacon and pick them up their. I am going to have to call them, ticketmaster seems to be out, but I have seen before where ticketmaster all of a sudden gets tickets a week before the concert even though they said they were sold out before. If I miss it I will be pretty upset, but I guess I have at least a chance by going to the theater this week. Thanks VicAjax for letting me know!

May 1, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr
Long ago, in the hazy days of my youth, I saw Frank when Belew was in the band. Rather astounding as I had no idea who Adrian was, but boy could he play. Whatever happened to him anyway?
evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, it's a real shame that no one that played with Zappa ever seemed to do anything afterwards.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back