Zana Deux vs Singlepower Extreme
Jun 29, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #31 of 36
IIRC, it's the Russian 6C33C-B power tubes and 6D22S rectifier in the Zana that offer very little in the way of options. Clearly the 6SL7 driver tubes in the Zana have about a thousand tube rolling options, although the better-regarded 6SL7's can cost a lot.

The better regarded 6SN7's in the SP Extreme can cost more than 6SL7-types, but you only need one. And 6AS7-type tubes are not expensive - the most expensive varieties are still less than $50 each, and very good RCA 6AS7G's can be had for $5 each.

Jun 29, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #32 of 36
The Zana deux only uses one 6SL7 so that the exteme uses one 6SN7 hardly makes the Extreme cheaper in terms of tubes. The fact that you can only roll one tube in the Zana is in a way a bonus for me, as I would rather avoid spending too much hunting down different tubes and comparing them. If the options are limited on the non 6SL7 tubes, that pretty much mean that I can get whatever tubes I can get my hands on for these positions as long as they are matched to the degree the design of the amp requires.

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #33 of 36
Ahhh..I see that now - 2 rectifier tubes, one driver tube. And the power tubes are not that expensive, but still more expensive than the 6AS7. Of course the Sp Extreme is quite a bot less expensive tnan the Zana in and of itself. Nonetheless, both terrific amps, really. Hard to go wrong either way.

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #34 of 36
having rolled pretty much all there is to roll on my ZD..... power, rectifier and driver tube(s). I have to say that Craig (the ZD designer) is right. Only the 6SL7 makes a "significant" difference.

I have several varients of this to suit different moods/music/cans. The extra rectifiers and power tubes are "spares". But don't anticipate having to use them much as the ZD hardly taxes them (at least not the power tube, don't know about the rectifier)

My near neighbour has a couple of Sps.... maybe should arrange a shoot-out.

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The better regarded 6SN7's in the SP Extreme can cost more than 6SL7-types, but you only need one. And 6AS7-type tubes are not expensive - the most expensive varieties are still less than $50 each, and very good RCA 6AS7G's can be had for $5 each.

A tung-sol 2c51 or WE 396a & ecc-1 tubes like the Raytheon 6414 and 12av7 sound a bit better on my 701s but the 6sn7/VT-231 sound better with the RS-1 to me but that's what's so nice about the extreme. Options.

Jun 30, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #36 of 36
if you only consider audio technica phones, the I recommend you to buy the at-dha3000 which is available on the For Sale forum now

as i experience, all of the audio technica has a problem which is that singer's voice becomes overpowered with loud volume. With the audio technica at-dha3000 , you won't hear the overpowered voice at loud volume anymore.

However, one problem is that the audio technica amplifier at-dha3000 is only good for audio technica phones not for other brands. That's why i say"if you only love audio technica phones, then buy the at-dha3000 and you won't regret it" . The amp also has a very good built-in DAC so you don't even need to spend money for a good DAC such as benchmark dac1 or lavry da10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back