Zana Deux: Best or Worst for HD800?
Feb 25, 2009 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

greggf

1000+ Head-Fier
Since the Zana Deux controls the rather laid-back HD600/650 so strongly and well, I've come to wonder what the amp will do with the HD800, which is supposed to be a much tauter-sounding headphone. Could there be a problem? Is there such a thing as a "too-controlled" sound?

I understand that this is theoretical at this point and that no one has probably heard the combo of ZD and 800. But I'm thinking of juicing my life back up again with a second go-around with a Zana, and wondered if folks had any ideas on the pairing.

How many of you ZDers are getting the HD800 and looking forward to the pairing, by the way?

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 35
On paper, the ZD should drive the HD800's with authority. Volume and power should not be an issue, seeing as the ZD pumps more than half a watt into the 300 ohm load of sennheiser. Reading that the HD800 has impressed people with its liveliness and transient character, it seems the ZD and 800 would fit like a glove. Also considering that OTL's traditionally do very well with hi impedance cans, and the ZD with its stiff PSU and low output impedance, as well as its ability to function without any hum noise or fuss, I would imagine those people with the 800 and ZD are going to be happy. Please keep in mind I say "should". Also, in the same way that I "should" have never sold my ZD, maybe you'll keep it this time, or you'll be sorrrryyyy
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 35
I do not know, but have a nice feeling about the combo. I love what it is doing with the HD650, so looking forward to the arrival of the HD800.
I can not see what could be wrong with this setup, with the right tubes and all, but time will show.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 35
I know, I know, regrets play a massive role in this hobby, eh?
redface.gif

In hindsight, nothing has sounded better than the ZD. It looks like that's what people may say about the HD800.

I just re-read for the umpteenth time your 6moons review of the Zana. I have to thank you for that - and for all the considered opinions you offer and the great way that you "hear". Thanks!

=gregg=

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 35
one thing I know is that we need more.power.please.

and it's not because the can needs it. except for the k1000, no dynamic can will handle the 2watts or more that the more powerful amps deliver.

it's not the power per se, but rather it's the power supply that these massive amps utilize. with better power supply comes better control on delivery of sound to your cans

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 35
I've struggled for years to understand the technical issues that make one amp great and another not-so-great, and I still don't understand much, because I'm not a technical kind of guy. But if anybody can explain why raw horsepower isn't as important as stiff power supplies or other factors, I'm all ears.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 35
I'm definitely planning on getting an HD800 to try with my ZD. I'm super happy with the pairing with my ATH AD2000's (as everyone's probably tired of hearing by now!) so that's the one to beat for me. Of course, jp11801 and Voltron both heard the new Senn's and both have a pair of AD2000's (I think if you live in the Bay Area you have to?!?!). Al's already preordered and jp# can't be far behind.
I guess the second question is,.. will Craig's Balancing Act be the amp to take the 800's to the moon and beyond?!?! (and which output tube compliment?)
I'm betting that Foo Me will be the first to answer that question.

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #9 of 35
i like many others else am waiting and waiting for the 800's to finally ship.
given craig's track record, i am hopeful the BA will do wonderful things with it.
i decided to bite the bullet and go for the AD1 tubes like Icarium.
hopefully march will be a good month for us all!
smily_headphones1.gif

but i doubt there'll be a clear answer until canjam where i'm sure there'll be lots of comparisons.

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #11 of 35
Yeah I'm definitely looking forward to hearing how the Zana pairs with the HD800 since this is the pair that I've been saving up and trying to pair. Hopefully it's out of this world so I can save some money and not have to chase down a pair of AD2000s! Btw, has anyone tried the D7000s with the Zana and how did they perform?

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the second question is,.. will Craig's Balancing Act be the amp to take the 800's to the moon and beyond?!?! (and which output tube compliment?)
I'm betting that Foo Me will be the first to answer that question.

I am purely speculating about this, but based on conversations with Craig that I had when I was thinking about going from the ZD to the moth si2a3/45H, my experience with senns and different amplification, and my experience and knowledge between OTL and transformer coupled amps, I do not think the BA will necessarily be above and beyond what the ZD can provide. I have not heard the BA or any of its prototypes but when I talked to craig about the moth, he thought the moth was a bit better with everything except the senns. Hearing the 650's with the ZD, the ZD had a way of opening her up like no other amp. IME, OTL's just really play nicely into high impedance cans. The ZD is such a high quality OTL that basically your taking something which seems naturally optimised for the hi impedance senns, and the actual circuit itself is just so well designed and well behaved that I really believe the ZD and 800 pairing will be pretty suberb.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am purely speculating about this, but based on conversations with Craig that I had when I was thinking about going from the ZD to the moth si2a3/45H, my experience with senns and different amplification, and my experience and knowledge between OTL and transformer coupled amps, I do not think the BA will necessarily be above and beyond what the ZD can provide. I have not heard the BA or any of its prototypes but when I talked to craig about the moth, he thought the moth was a bit better with everything except the senns. Hearing the 650's with the ZD, the ZD had a way of opening her up like no other amp. IME, OTL's just really play nicely into high impedance cans. The ZD is such a high quality OTL that basically your taking something which seems naturally optimised for the hi impedance senns, and the actual circuit itself is just so well designed and well behaved that I really believe the ZD and 800 pairing will be pretty suberb.

I'd second that. The Moth gives a slightly more pleasing presentation with everything, but the Zana is so perfect with the Sennheisers.

As for the question at hand, I ran a few charts:

graphCompare.php

graphCompare.php

The low end impedance hump on the HD800 is interesting, though I don't think it will present a problem for the Zana.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 35
Thanks for posting the charts. I was wondering what the curves would look like. I'm not really worried if the ZD can drive the HD800's properly, but how much difference being driven balanced will make to stuff like soundstage and imaging. Considering how well the other Senns respond to balancing, I'll want to hear the 800's through the BA for sure!
I had a chance to compare the HD650's stock, with upgraded cables and balanced through the Zana and the HD-2. I've also heard the 650 through the Nautilus and there's a bigger improvement from being balanced than the comparatively subtle difference in cable upgrades. I'm not that big of a fan of the 650's so switching to balanced didn't make sense for me,.. but if the 800's are what I'm hoping for (an AD2000 with deeper bass and better soundstage) I could see selling my other dynamics off and making the jump.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 35
Not much going on in this thread in a while, but still interesting, at least to me.

My HD800 is incoming this week. Would be nice to hear some more impressions on this particular combo from the people who have heard it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back