Z1R is hard to drive?
Sep 8, 2018 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
I have it plugged into a Rudistor RP8K-VT which has much less power than the RS Darkstar I was using recently. The Rudistor with the volume cranked I am getting 66DB on my meter. Half volume, no sound at all. Cups are matched should not be bad amp plus sounds fine. Just not very loud. You need to turn up the Z1R to really get the bass experience. Of course I am careful of my ears. Now, I put the PS2KE and they are blasting half way. I just honestly did not remember the Sony's being that hard to drive?

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 12
No. I have a custom braided cable with 18 braids to each cup made of silver,gold,OCC.

The amp might be broken or some setting in preamp. To trouble shoot it I will try a different amp, if okay unplug Rudistor from preamp and try. At least I know if it is the amp Rudi will fix it.

If it is the Phones well I lost over 2 grand there. Unless Sony can fix them. First I need to figure out what is wrong. Volume should not be cranked for 60DB on those. The weird thing is the Grado's worked. That may not be a good sign.

Sep 9, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 12
No. I have a custom braided cable with 18 braids to each cup made of silver,gold,OCC.

The amp might be broken or some setting in preamp. To trouble shoot it I will try a different amp, if okay unplug Rudistor from preamp and try. At least I know if it is the amp Rudi will fix it.

If it is the Phones well I lost over 2 grand there. Unless Sony can fix them. First I need to figure out what is wrong. Volume should not be cranked for 60DB on those. The weird thing is the Grado's worked. That may not be a good sign.
I would also try the original cable to eliminate the custom cable as a problem. I am 99.9% sure it's not the headphones. Also swap out any adapters if you are using them.
Bern
edit...I just tried the Z1R out of the Sony NWZ-A17 dap....which has no power to drive anything properly and the Z1R is ok out of it. Not great..but usable.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 12
This is very strange. everything is working fine. The Z1R work fine on other amps with the aftermarket cable. Other headphones work fine on the Rudistor. On the Rudistor the volume needs to be 3/4 to get 60DB, full volume gets 80DB. Which is plenty for me but you do not run things at full volume, I do not remember if this combo always did this since I hardly use it. I just went to use it a few days ago and was surprised by this. I did think they are easy to drive. Many doing so straight out of an iPhone. I would think half volume would be plenty. I have no idea what is going on. I can't bother Rudi because it seems his amp is fine too. I simply do not get this. Oh, I tried stock cable with the Rudistor and same low volume issue. I know this is extremely odd. If anyone has any idea I would appreciate it. I am not going to run the amp at near full volume. Great way to kill it. Might as well not add insult to injury. I do not get this and am simple baffled on this one. One last thing, The preamp has attenuation on but on XLR output. I turned it to 00DB and no difference. If you guys just think it is safe to crank it problem solved.I do not think that is a good idea.

Nov 19, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #10 of 12
I know this is old. Few days ago with fine cable. Amp sounding dull. Bad Diode in output section. Being a Diode this could have plagued me then as well. They usually die a very slow death. All this time not listening to the best. I repaired it and burnt in 400 hours. I could easily hear the difference. Like a veil removed and Z1R have no veil to speak of IMO. Well I guess maybe unless you ask A certain professional reviewer.... I am getting pretty old I am sick but when I want something done I can still manage it. Iron shaking bad news though. I discovered tennis wrist brace stabilizes me some with fine Motor tasks. No one needs to respond this is so old. Just figured I would mention I overlooked something. It was only noticeable as needing more turns of the volume back then. It burned a few days ago though. I could see heat on PCB. Just used Flux cleaner.

Nov 19, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 12
I personally like old threads springing alive as I often wonder are these people still around, what has happened etc. Glad to hear that you worked it out. The Z1R was my favourite headphone to date I think.

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #12 of 12
I know this is old. Few days ago with fine cable. Amp sounding dull. Bad Diode in output section. Being a Diode this could have plagued me then as well. They usually die a very slow death. All this time not listening to the best. I repaired it and burnt in 400 hours. I could easily hear the difference. Like a veil removed and Z1R have no veil to speak of IMO. Well I guess maybe unless you ask A certain professional reviewer.... I am getting pretty old I am sick but when I want something done I can still manage it. Iron shaking bad news though. I discovered tennis wrist brace stabilizes me some with fine Motor tasks. No one needs to respond this is so old. Just figured I would mention I overlooked something. It was only noticeable as needing more turns of the volume back then. It burned a few days ago though. I could see heat on PCB. Just used Flux cleaner.
In my last few years at work..I needed a gigantic lighted mag lamp in order to do any soldering. Without it everything looked like a blob..and that was with glasses.

Bern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back