Z-5500 headphone jack
Nov 8, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 9

Shahrose

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 14, 2006
Posts
3,933
Likes
307
Location
Toronto, Canada
Quote:

Originally Posted by smsmasters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it would be best I guess to run my se530 directly to the x-fi instead of through the z-5500?

Would the z-5500 really affect the sound coming through the earphones to a great extent?



you won't notice a difference (except perhaps in volume levels) with IEMs. if you were using full-sized headphones, i'd recommend plugging them in directly into the soundcard, but for such small earphones, it won't really do anything to the sound.
 
Nov 9, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 9

myinitialsaredac

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Posts
1,337
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you won't notice a difference (except perhaps in volume levels) with IEMs. if you were using full-sized headphones, i'd recommend plugging them in directly into the soundcard, but for such small earphones, it won't really do anything to the sound.


I would have to disagree with this point. I find there is quite a difference between using one amp and using a different amp with my 530s. I would suggest using the x-fi headphone amp over the the z5500.

Dave
 
Nov 9, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 9

Shahrose

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 14, 2006
Posts
3,933
Likes
307
Location
Toronto, Canada
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have to disagree with this point. I find there is quite a difference between using one amp and using a different amp with my 530s. I would suggest using the x-fi headphone amp over the the z5500.

Dave



i've used the z5500 and the x-fi, and tried IEM's with them both (basically the OP's setup) so i stand by my advice.
still, there's some chance you could be right, so i suggest the OP to try out both ways and see if he notices a difference. personally, i say the minuscule difference in sound quality gained from direct input to the soundcard (for IEMs) is heavily outweighed by the convenience of having the z5500 output so close (on the desk) and being easy to plug into.
 
Nov 9, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 9

myinitialsaredac

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Posts
1,337
Likes
12
Convenience is a big point, thats why I have my comp as my main source
biggrin.gif
But I have tried my 530s out of my onboard soundcard, iphone, ipod, bose speaker pob, and the micro amp and they all have very distinct sq differences. I would concur with your advice to try both, after all YMMV with all this sound preference stuff.

Cheers,
beerchug.gif

Dave
 
Nov 9, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 9

Shahrose

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 14, 2006
Posts
3,933
Likes
307
Location
Toronto, Canada
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Convenience is a big point, thats why I have my comp as my main source
biggrin.gif
But I have tried my 530s out of my onboard soundcard, iphone, ipod, bose speaker pob, and the micro amp and they all have very distinct sq differences. I would concur with your advice to try both, after all YMMV with all this sound preference stuff.

Cheers,
beerchug.gif

Dave



hmm, your situation is different though in that all of the outputs you mentioned are amped. see, with the z560/z680/z5300/z5500 headphone outputs, the signal isn't amped. it's merely an oversized volume attenuator. so while it does degrade signal quality (not terribly so), but since it's not acting like an amplifier, you can't really liken it to outputs from different amps.
also, in your case, i agree that using different amps would make a significant difference with almost any headphone, the se530 included.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top