Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jan 26, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #557 of 1,480
Just curious, what did they say?
They forwarded my concern to Zähl, apparently there was a bit of a misunderstanding there, but based on the response it seems like it could have happened due to a power surge. They recommend replacing both fuses if one of them blows, because it could have been that both of them were affected so when I replaced the first one the second one was already damaged.

Anyways, I don't think they are overly concerned about it, I'll report back to them if it happens again. The unit has been working fine since then, the original fuses lasted a few weeks, so it might take a while for it to happen again.

Jan 26, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #558 of 1,480
They forwarded my concern to Zähl, apparently there was a bit of a misunderstanding there, but based on the response it seems like it could have happened due to a power surge. They recommend replacing both fuses if one of them blows, because it could have been that both of them were affected so when I replaced the first one the second one was already damaged.

Anyways, I don't think they are overly concerned about it, I'll report back to them if it happens again. The unit has been working fine since then, the original fuses lasted a few weeks, so it might take a while for it to happen again.
That makes sense but a bit obscure that two fuses needs to be replaced. Two purple fuses would be $$.

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #560 of 1,480
At least a little over simplified, the HM1 does offer some flexible features some may find useful. If you're chasing sound, you may make the argument going for something like the Realiser would be the better utility, however, the HM1 is also generally marketed as a studio tool.
I actually did quite a bit of research into the Realiser a while ago. I considered getting one but it's just way too much hassle and not very user friendly. After trying Lina's Expanse, I never gave the Realiser a second thought.

Jan 26, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #561 of 1,480
I actually did quite a bit of research into the Realiser a while ago. I considered getting one but it's just way too much hassle and not very user friendly. After trying Lina's Expanse, I never gave the Realiser a second thought.
It's convoluted to say the least and requires extreme dedication, however, the applicable sound progress simply has no peer.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #562 of 1,480
It's convoluted to say the least and requires extreme dedication, however, the applicable sound progress simply has no peer.
That may be true but after a lot of research, it felt like buying a Tesla from Ikea. I'd be more likely to get it for gaming rather than music. If I only had the time anymore.

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #565 of 1,480
any difference in sound between the balanced and non-balanced headphone out?
I believe it’s single ended, but it’s “dual mono” as in independent ground when using the 4pin XLR connector. The only downside is the shared ground when using the 1/4 inch socket.

I suspect the difference is negligible in most cases.

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #566 of 1,480
From what I hear he seems to be a good guy and would probably be a lot of fun to hangout with arguing over various audio gear. However, his tastes and preferences generally don't match mine so his reviews aren't a great reference point for me personnally.
Can confirm Zeos is a good guy and a ton of fun to hang out with.

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #567 of 1,480
I don't spend my entire life taking notes of when crap happens in chat, no. Hell, if you are in there you should be well aware I basicaly only post while drunk. It's to the point that @Danmellinger constantly gives me crap for drunk hot takes when I call sus crap even. Tbh if you care that much about responce time, why not just post what it was yourself if you are in the same chat that should give me insider info?
I've got him blocked so I'm assuming EVAN801 is spouting some sort of conspiracy theories that you are responding to.

And it's true, I do spend most of my time giving you crap for your drunken hot takes which I find nearly as entertaining as listening to my HM-1 and Susvara :)

For anyone wondering, I found that my early unit (one of the first two in the US - SN011) didn't have the relay click-off on one of the channels when you dial it down to full attenuation. Not a big deal but I emailed Zahl and he replied within a day with a thorough and transparent explanation (the early batch had some parts tolerance issues). I sat on it for a while since it was the holidays and then resurfaced after the new year. Michael connected me with @TaronL who had the always amazing @Netforce arrange for shipping. Zahl proactively let me know when they received, fixed and reshipped the amp and headphones[dot]com did the same.

I shipped the amp on Jan 6th and received it back today, which is fantastic considering customs. Michael was a joy to work with once I got the ball rolling and headphones[dot]com service was amazing as usual. Man, this thing is just too good with Susvara!

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #568 of 1,480
For anyone wondering, I found that my early unit (one of the first two in the US - SN011) didn't have the relay click-off on one of the channels when you dial it down to full attenuation.
In addition to anyone wondering if you purchased from us in North America, no this does not apply to your unit. Only applies to Dan's unit and our demo unit. It is why the the shipment to North America was slightly delayed as Michael found out about this issue and made sure it was not present in any other unit shipped.

After CanJam NYC, our demo will be getting shipped to Michael to have this issue fixed as well.

Glad your repaired unit arrived safe and sound @Danmellinger and @Netforce was able to make sure it was a smooth experience!

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Feb 3, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #569 of 1,480
It just blew another fuse, and as far as I know my power has no issues, none of my other equipment seems to be affected and it's connected to a power conditioner (Panamax M5300-PM). The power conditioner reports 120V which is normal in the US and I'm using a Pangea power cable.

The fuse blew instantly after I pressed the power button, so... there might be something bad with my unit. If the fuse blows again, I'll try with a different power cable, in case that's the issue.
Power cable can sometimes cause issues if its bad. Friend of mine blew several fuses on his amp (not HM1, different amp) whilst using an 'audiophile' cable but using generic ones it was totally fine

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #570 of 1,480
That makes sense but a bit obscure that two fuses needs to be replaced. Two purple fuses would be $$.
There's multiple fuses because there are multiple independent power supplies. There is a separate PSU for the left and right channels and another separate one solely for the front panel indicators/logic circuitry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back