Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jan 20, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #496 of 1,474
6 months wait, multiple delays and issues but my HM1 is finally here, number 47/50 🫡

It does look awesomely gorgeous, one has to admit! That has got to make all the waiting feel very rewarding at this moment. And I am referring just to the unboxing and initial visual experience of taking it all in. No? The yet-to-come auditioning itself may then count as the "pièce de resistance"

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #498 of 1,474
Sounds like the problem is not placing the order directly with Zaehl.

That's true with anything, but less so with fully analogue components.
Buying through UK retailer was going to be £2k cheaper than from Zahl direct after VAT.

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #499 of 1,474
I find it disappointing when a reviewer of Zs caliber decides to put all his frustrations, outside pressure(s) on a product review video and eventually leading up to some awkward moments and just gibberish and deconstructing points that are off putting, of my view on said reviewer.
I was really frustrated by this one because it was more of a price rant than an actual review of the device. Moreover, most of the headphones and sources he used were in the hundred dollar range and guaranteed not to show what the HM1 can do. Beyond a certain technical baseline, when you have a transparent amp like this, it is crap in, crap out. He never used it with Susvara, Stealth etc, but some $10 headphones at the beginning of the video, but then rants that it has no power based on the spec sheet.

If he is so philosophically opposed or morally angered by an expensive product that he can't do a meaningful review, he should just not review it and keep to the kind of affordable gear he likes.

I also wonder if he has had heard of the WA33, or any other equally or higher priced amps that have been on the market for a while.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #500 of 1,474
6 months wait, multiple delays and issues but my HM1 is finally here, number 47/50 🫡

Killer setup, the best of the best! Looks like your all set to drive any and every headphone you could ever want.

Jan 20, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #501 of 1,474
I was really frustrated by this one because it was more of a price rant than an actual review of the device. Moreover, most of the headphones and sources he used were in the hundred dollar range and guaranteed not to show what the HM1 can do. Beyond a certain technical baseline, when you have a transparent amp like this, it is crap in, crap out. He never used it with Susvara, Stealth etc, but some $10 headphones at the beginning of the video, but then rants that it has no power based on the spec sheet.

If he is so philosophically opposed or morally angered by an expensive product that he can't do a meaningful review, he should just not review it and keep to the kind of affordable gear he likes.

I also wonder if he has had heard of the WA33, or any other equally or higher priced amps that have been on the market for a while.
His reviews are basically his opinion, which in this case he was not ok with recommending an $8,000 dollar amplifier. I think it was a fairly positive review, but not for those wanting to justify spending that kind of money on a headphone amp.

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #502 of 1,474
His reviews are basically his opinion, which in this case he was not ok with recommending an $8,000 dollar amplifier. I think it was a fairly positive review, but not for those wanting to justify spending that kind of money on a headphone amp.
I may be going out on a limb here, but if you don't use TOTL headphones or sources in your HM1 review, it's not a useful review. Nor is it a useful review when there are barely any qualitative comments about the sound itself.

Again, he could have made a general video titled "Don't buy expensive headphone amps because it makes you a bad person" and he would have been perfectly on topic.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #503 of 1,474
Also, value for money is questionable, especially after seeing Z Reviews youtube vid. Holo Audio Bliss KTE coming next week instead.
I love my Bliss KTE. However... it's highly unlikely Zeos would judging by the last review he did on a Holo Audio product.

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #505 of 1,474
Not sure why you guys are even discussing Zeos. He's a POS of a person and his opinions shouldn't even be considered for any purchase. Let's focus on the gear and the impressions of people who know what they are talking about and put their money where their mouth is.

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #506 of 1,474
Not sure why you guys are even discussing Zeos. He's a POS of a person and his opinions shouldn't even be considered for any purchase. Let's focus on the gear and the impressions of people who know what they are talking about and put their money where their mouth is.
From what I hear he seems to be a good guy and would probably be a lot of fun to hangout with arguing over various audio gear. However, his tastes and preferences generally don't match mine so his reviews aren't a great reference point for me personnally.

Jan 21, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #507 of 1,474
Let’s not dwell on this topic. What you hear and what you know are two different things.

I’d love to hear owner’s opinions.

Jan 21, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #508 of 1,474
Jan 21, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #509 of 1,474
I can understand Zoe's views quite well, he also owns enough toys that sound very good
There are products that are very good....and there are products that come at the wrong time, or in my view simply said many years too late for the announced price
(To me, as mentioned earlier, headphone playback looks different than it has in the past and will continue to do so)

Nevertheless I wish the future owners of the HM1 much joy with it 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back