Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jan 14, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #421 of 1,480
My wallet has been on life support since late 2021 due to this hobby (and me)
Mine's already died and been reincarnated as a Cash Point Machine 😄

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #422 of 1,480
fomo. deposit paid. hope it is worth the wait; eta May 2023. hopefully end game as my wallet has taken a few large hits recently... lol.

My wallet has been on life support since late 2021 due to this hobby (and me)

I've already died and been reincarnated as a Cash Point Machine 😄
Don't be too hard on yourselves guys... After all, in today's Eco-economic environment, there are always other possible rival monsters and hazards on the horizon competing for the juice in your wallets--Climate change, tsunamis, floods, droughts, wild fires, recessions, inflations, stock market crashes, internet+social media scams and scammers, politician shenanigans, and you name it...So why knock yourselves for chasing a little sonic holy grail in the midst of all this fray?

Personally, given the choice, i'll pick a Zahl-HM1+ Susvara monster any day over all the other usual suspects... I am sure my own wallet will eventually agree, if it survives all those other monsters, and if I am still around to listen at all...

Your mileages may vary, of course:)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #424 of 1,480
How would the Zahl HM1 compare to something like the ampandsound Red October? Have any of you had the opportunity of listening to both and can let me know which sounds better or you prefer? Thank you!
Typical solid state vs tubes. HM1 sounds perfectly uncolored, while Nautilus is elegantly colored / does tube things--specifically rich mids, holography, and a liquidy smooth delivery.

20230108_182506.jpg

Red October is essentially Nautilus for 300b tubes. I listened to both at CANJAM SoCal and was happy to find I still like Nautilus better--it's a bit more vibrant and punchy, whereas Red October was a bit more laid back and smooth in comparison. But both are magnificent.

I know it's cliche to declare "endgame" in this hobby, but HM1 and Nautilus are like the ultimate 1-2 punch for delivering any sound profile to any headphones. HM1 offers Class A and Servo flavors with a host of fine tuning options, and the multitude of OI taps lets Nautilus find optimal synergy with any headphones wanting some tube flavor.

anybody compared the single ended and balanced inputs and can share his opinion on sound differences if at all?

I can offer that both are magnificently clean. I haven't done enough direct A-B with the same cans to see if there are differences to pick up on, but I haven't shied away from plugging into either one depending on which headphone I'm listening to and the cable it's wearing at the moment.

Casual impression is they're close enough to identical that I'm not bothered to put much thought into it. I love ZMF cans on tubes, so I tend to keep 6.35 cables on those and just use the same for, say, Atrium + HM1. But I'll lean balanced where it's easy, so D8KP LE gets XLR. for example.

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #425 of 1,480
I can offer that both are magnificently clean. I haven't done enough direct A-B with the same cans to see if there are differences to pick up on, but I haven't shied away from plugging into either one depending on which headphone I'm listening to and the cable it's wearing at the moment.

Casual impression is they're close enough to identical that I'm not bothered to put much thought into it. I love ZMF cans on tubes, so I tend to keep 6.35 cables on those and just use the same for, say, Atrium + HM1. But I'll lean balanced where it's easy, so D8KP LE gets XLR. for example.
Thanks.
I'm also interested in the inputs quality differences (if any) in case a DAC is connected either by single ended or balanced inputs.

Jan 14, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #428 of 1,480
How would the Zahl HM1 compare to something like the ampandsound Red October? Have any of you had the opportunity of listening to both and can let me know which sounds better or you prefer? Thank you!
Give me some time with HM1 and i will get back to you with a red october comparison, also which headphones do you plan on using? My main 2 headphones are 1266TC and susvara.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #429 of 1,480
Don't know about the Mojo 2, but I do use the Stealth with Hugo 2 when travelling. It works reasonably well.

Also have the HM1 on order, hopefully getting them in May
Same here, I have the Mojo 2 and Hugo 2. It will play with either But more enjoyment with Hugo 2. But if you add the Cayin C9. That will take either to an Ultimate travel setup. I’’m on a cruise and using the Hugo 2/Cayin C9 with my Steaths. Great combination.

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #430 of 1,480
I'll do a shootout with the Sus, LCD-5 and Utopia 2022 vs the Elites when my HM1 finally gets here (early march is the current estimation). Said it before, If the HM1+ Rossini (which has amazing dynamics and bass) can't make it slam...nothing will for me. In contrast, the Elites even on the Oor have a pretty tactile sound.
One of the tracks I've been using recently for evaluating this is
Do you know what # you are in line ?

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #432 of 1,480
I think I read somewhere that the four knobs at the bottom works for the line out as well, is this true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back