yurbuds Ironman series?!? any good?
Jul 13, 2011 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

justinmonty

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has tried the yurbuds for gym/workouts?!?

here's a link to their website:  http://www.yurbuds.com/

I'm currently looking for a gym earphone/ in ear and was wondering what some of you recommend?

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 18
The whole concept of that is flawed as even if you twisted, you're not actually twisting or moving the part inside your ear canal, all you're doing is twisting the earbud so it lies just in between the grooves of your ear cartilage - which you can essentially do with any earbud.

There's nothing special about those and they look like a total scam; but I could be totally wrong. They have created an incredible advertising and marketing campaign for them.

I got to the gym every day and I just use my Westone 2's with a great isolated fit on them. You're most likely going to find that earbuds will just no stay in. Better getting around the ear earphones because there is little to no chance of them falling out if you have a good seal. I'd recommend my own Westone 2's, but they actually just broke today (lost sound in left due to cable failing) so I'm rather annoyed at this and wouldn't recommend them (even though I've had them for 1.4 years now). 

Look into stuff like the SoundMagic PL50 and that sort of IEM and you're most likely going to get a better seal and they won't fall out.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks I was looking for a pair that was water/ sweat proof because I just also broke my brainwavs due to sweating :frowning2: so I didn't want that to happen again all I found so far for working out are the jaybird endorphin and the yurbuds?!? any other good options out there?

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 18
You must sweat a lot!! **** that's not cool that they broke cause of your sweating...

I guess that would be an option then if you don't want them to break.

What about the Sennheiser sport line? I know nothing about it, but a quick google shows that they are sweat proof, you might find better value for money there.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 18
I bought them for the silicon sleeves; they really stay in the ears, never fall out. The buds toned toward lower-mid and higher bass, they sound somewhat "blur" when used with usual mp3 players; the buds need more power to sound good.
Normally, when earbuds were caught with something, they fell out of your ears -- it is actually a good thing. I snapped Yurbud's wire, I did not realized it was caught with door handle when I slammed the door shut.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 18
I wouldn't recommend the Yurbuds Ironman Series, what I would recommend are the tips themselves.  If you want a review of them, you can find one here: http://www.ifans.com/blog/25005/  I wrote it (on a different forum though :p).  I didn't like the sound at all.  I do like the tips, and those are definitely not a scam, they stick to your ears like glue...  They also attract ear wax, dust, fur, hair...  You name it.  This is the disgusting part. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Thanks I think I'm going to order the tips however what ear buds will work good with them?!?

Hm...  Well, they should be able to fit most earbuds well.  They do fit the stock Apple earbuds.  You can also email them, I can't find it, but I did remember reading you can send them your earbuds and they'll ensure that it fits.  If you want to know for sure, just email a rep.

Some tips when using these: like IEMs they still require a good seal to hear everything nicely and correctly.  Don't expect these to work miracles.  They do increase bass a little from what I've noticed with my Apple Earbuds (I don't have too many earbuds, only IEMs).  They don't work on IEMs.

Product page: http://www.yurbuds.com/ybcart/get-sized?category_id=0

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 18
I absolutely love my ironman series!  Best thing I have ever used for working out and running.  I live in Oklahoma and if you guys have been watching the news lately I'm sure you've seen the type of heat we've had this summer.  Yesterday I ran 3 miles during the mid morning....heat was just about at 100 degrees.  They never budged at all.  I have run in a light rain with the same result.

The twist to fit system isn't a gimmick and yes you can do it with any earbud.  The point of doing it is to seat the bud further into the grooves of your outer ear so that it doesn't move.  It works like a charm.

I actually think the buds sound just fine for what they are.  They do lean a little towards the low end....not thumpy by any means.  The sound of the earbud is about the same as any other 30 to 40 dollar earbud out there.  You won't get a pk1 sound here....but that's really not the goal. 

the tips are compatible with any normal earbud.  So if you already have a set of buds you like....just use the yurbud on those.  I continue to use the ironman because the cable is meant to take water and sweat also.  Plus the one poster that talked about everything that sticks to them....that's true!  however, you just pop them off and wash them under some warm water and they are brand new!  BTW, let them air dry...or the lint from your towel will them replace whatever it was that you washed off!   lol.

If you just get tips...go to the website and custom size a pair....it will make a pretty significant difference for comfort. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend the Yurbuds Ironman Series, what I would recommend are the tips themselves.  If you want a review of them, you can find one here: http://www.ifans.com/blog/25005/  I wrote it (on a different forum though :p).  I didn't like the sound at all.  I do like the tips, and those are definitely not a scam, they stick to your ears like glue...  They also attract ear wax, dust, fur, hair...  You name it.  This is the disgusting part. 

I'm really interested in knowing how they work. How does the twist lock feature work in your ears? I've got some screwed up ears and all buds fall out at pretty much at any movement. Interesting to see this concept, but as they didn't explain HOW they stuck in your ears, I lost interest. 
tongue.gif

Edit - Just read you're review. They're "grippy" that's the reason. That was why I was a bit skeptical about the whole "twist and lock" thing haha.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
I'm really interested in knowing how they work. How does the twist lock feature work in your ears? I've got some screwed up ears and all buds fall out at pretty much at any movement. Interesting to see this concept, but as they didn't explain HOW they stuck in your ears, I lost interest. 
tongue.gif

Edit - Just read you're review. They're "grippy" that's the reason. That was why I was a bit skeptical about the whole "twist and lock" thing haha.

Yeah, the twist lock helps only a little bit.  The Silicone they use is grippy.  I wouldn't know how they would work with you, especially if your ears are screwed up (from what you said).

Quote:
hmm do the personalized ones really make a big difference in comfort?!?

I couldn't tell you exactly, I didn't get personalized ones.  They are made to fit your ear size (since you have to send them a picture of your ear with a quarter), that's all I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back