Yup, another which iem to buy thread.
Jul 14, 2009 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SantinoSan

Head-Fier
So, I am currently favoring some Monster Turbines, but the more I listen, the more the top end is starting to sound shrill, and not as clear as I like. A bit fatiguing. I LOVE the bass, and could even use a bit more if it was only sub-bass, say below 80 Hz, but still, the bass is great. the mids are fine, no real complaints other than some mid bass bloat, but I eq it out a bit.

I also have the ADDIEMs and love their smooth, but very detailed top end. Though not as loud as the Turbines, the top end is still more detailed and crisp. Perhaps it is the armature sound I like for treble...but the bass. I just can't get it to my liking...even with an E5 bass boost and some eq, it just doesn't have the shear quantity.

Now my musical tastes are quite varied, from country and movie soundtracks, to DnB and Trance. Lots in between too.

So, to sum it up, ADDIEM-like treble with Tubine-like bass. As far as cost...under $200 would be preferred, but I am flexible.

Any more info on the new Audio Technica 70's...heard these may be a good bet for the cost.

Thanks,
Santino

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 4
You can probably find used IE8's for $250 or less on here or somewhere else. I'm not sure what their current new price is. You can definitely find the IE7's for under $200.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 4
Try to stretch for the IE 8.

Or, extrapolating based on supposed performance similarities based on the general population (NB: not of my own experience), the Atrio M5/M8 may be worth a try for a Benjamin less.

The dynamic elements, like in the IE 8, are going to produce the meaningful, authoritative bass you want and must have. And believe me, the IE 8 was absolutely no slouch in the treble department (read: it was wonderful).

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 4
No siree, IE8 is no slouch in the treble department, it can sell you pop music like delicious ice cream cakes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back