YULONG's new U18 USB 24/192 Async digital Interface
Dec 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #121 of 169
Quote:
[size=medium][size=medium]It could very well be that you have a bad unit but it is much more likely that it is a computer related issue.  [/size]Have you tried installing the driver on a different computer, just to experiment.   [/size][size=medium]Try disabling your antivirus software as well.[/size]

[size=medium]What O.S. are you using?  How new is your computer?  This driver takes some jam to run.[/size]

The laptop is a 2-year old core i7 Lenovo running Windows 7 Pro. It's definitely powerful enough to run an audio driver. I've been thinking of putting an SSD with Win8 in it partly because of this issue but I'm hesitant because the computer has never had any problems otherwise and I'm not convinced that the laptop is the problem. I may give it a go on the desktop to verify the unit is not defective.

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #122 of 169

Quote:

The laptop is a 2-year old core i7 Lenovo running Windows 7 Pro. It's definitely powerful enough to run an audio driver. I've been thinking of putting an SSD with Win8 in it partly because of this issue but I'm hesitant because the computer has never had any problems otherwise and I'm not convinced that the laptop is the problem. I may give it a go on the desktop to verify the unit is not defective.

[size=medium]It sounds like your laptop has plenty of juice to run the driver. Definitely try things out on another computer before concluding that the unit is bad. I am curious to hear about your results.[/size]

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #124 of 169
It sounds like your laptop has plenty of juice to run the driver. Definitely try things out on another computer before concluding that the unit is bad. I am curious to hear about your results.

I wiped my laptop and installed Windows 8 but the problem persists. So far the U18 has worked every time I have unplugged and re-plugged the USB cable though.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #125 of 169
Quote:
I wiped my laptop and installed Windows 8 but the problem persists. So far the U18 has worked every time I have unplugged and re-plugged the USB cable though.

Thankfully it is working again.  I find it strange that you continue to need to plug the U18 in and out every time you start up your computer.  No doubt this could be a little frustrating.  If you get a chance, do try and run the U18 off another computer to see if the same issue crops up.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #126 of 169
Mine will be here on Tuesday - bummer..  However,  now I use a V-Link with no drivers on a windows 7 laptop.  Sense i don't have any drivers loaded up now.  I shouln't have any issues correct.  J. River sees this unit as what?  

Is this a AISO driver?  Or can I still use WASPI Event Style?

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #127 of 169
Quote:
Mine will be here on Tuesday - bummer..  However,  now I use a V-Link with no drivers on a windows 7 laptop.  Sense i don't have any drivers loaded up now.  I shouln't have any issues correct.  J. River sees this unit as what?  

Is this a AISO driver?  Or can I still use WASPI Event Style?

Use WASPI Event Style:

JRiver sees the U18 as:

Set U18 as default audio device on your Computer:

Click on properties and set to 24/192:

Go to supported formats and check off all boxes:

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #130 of 169
Quote:
*****Works flawlessly*****
 ​
 ​
Using J. River 18:

How can I view the Audio Path in Theater view?

[size=medium]Awesome, I am glad it is working for you.  Perhaps you can comment on SQ once you have had a chance to listen to the U18?  [/size]

[size=medium]I don't use Theater View much so I can't help off the top of my head.  There is lots of forum info on JRiver out there.  You could try looking around in here:[/size]

[size=medium]http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions[/size]

Quote:
There is no on and off switch.  It just stays on all the time?  Is that good for the unit

[size=10pt]My clock radio has been plugged in and running for over 10 years and it is still working. :)[/size]

[size=10pt]IMHO I can't see leaving a solid state piece of equipment on 24/7 causing it any harm.  Of course, it is always a good idea to have electronics unplugged during an electrical storm.  Leaving a 100 watt, Pure Class A amplifier on 24/7 would probably "up" your power bill significantly but the U18 does not use much energy.  My U18 has been essentially on 24/7 for a few months now and has had no issues so far.[/size]

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #132 of 169
I got my U18 yesterday. I have not been able to get it to run with my player. I use cPlay on an XP machine. When I try to load a track I get the following error:

ASIO Driver starting...
Output  1 [ YULONG_ASIO_Out_0 (L) ] Active (1) type (NOT SUPPORTED, type=16) > Left Channel
Output  2 [ YULONG_ASIO_Out_0 (R) ] Active (1) type (NOT SUPPORTED, type=16) > Right Channel

ASIO start aborted. Only 32 bit ASIO format supported.

DSP does NOT support current ASIO output format (only 32 bit supported).
DSP NOT started.

Doing a little research, I found the following from the cPlay developer:

cPlay only supports pure 32 bit ASIO soundcards. ASIO standard defines a great many input and output formats. Trying to accommodate all would compromise quality. So I decided to stick with the most common standard - 32 bits.

As far as I understand, most ASIO drivers will have provisions to set input to 32 bits even if those bits don't actually get used.

I tried setting up the U18 just using the basic ASIO4ALL driver, but it could not establish a connection with the U18. My current USB->SPDIF unit is an HLLY unit with the prior Tenor chip in it and it runs fine with cPlay. It would be nice if Yulong added 32bit support to their ASIO driver. In the meantime, I am back to my HLLY MMK converter.

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #135 of 169
Quote:
I am not familiar with that player.  Download Jriver's free trial and see if you can get it working with that.?

Thanks for that and the info about the crystals. I did try the U18 with another laptop running Win 7 and it worked fine with JPlay and on another machine running XP and Foobar2000 it also worked fine. Problem is, I don't use those players. I have built my system around cPlay over the last couple of years based on the sound it provides which is to my ears, a cut above the others. I just need to be able to select 32-bit in that Yulong ASIO panel that currently only shows options for 16 and 24 bit. 

Maybe I will try downloading some ASIO drivers for other similar players and see if I can get one that works with the U18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back