Yulong's new DA8
Jun 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #272 of 544
Quote:
Quote:
I can only speak of my DA8 , that has the DSD playback issue or whatever is it that you want to call it. 

My bad rubenpp.  I apologize for my comment.  I incorrectly thought you were a prospective owner who had come to the conclusion that because of one person’s experiences, the  DA8 had a universal DSD playback issue.  Had I paid more attention I would have realised that you are the person who is having problems with the DA8 and DSD. 

For the record, I am using JRiver 18, Windows 7.  As cwtim01 mentioned he is using a linux rrig.

What player/OS are you using?  Perhaps the DA8 does not play well with a certain hardware/software combo?  Have you tried reinstalling the Yulong driver?  Double checked all settings?

^This. We probably shouldn't rule out that its a software or computer issue. Try what mrcasey recommended and also try connecting the DA8 to a different computer. If the issue is gone you'll know its something to do with the computer, the drivers, or your media player.

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #273 of 544
Probably a silly question, but does anyone know if the DA8 is compatibler with A+ integer mode?
For me very important for the choice.

Thanks

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #277 of 544
Quote:

My bad rubenpp.  I apologize for my comment.  I incorrectly thought you were a prospective owner who had come to the conclusion that because of one person’s experiences, the  DA8 had a universal DSD playback issue.  Had I paid more attention I would have realised that you are the person who is having problems with the DA8 and DSD. 

For the record, I am using JRiver 18, Windows 7.  As cwtim01 mentioned he is using a linux rrig.

What player/OS are you using?  Perhaps the DA8 does not play well with a certain hardware/software combo?  Have you tried reinstalling the Yulong driver?  Double checked all settings?

No problem mrcasey :) 

I also sent GrantFidelity an email regarding my DSD concern.and they replied to me with Yulong's recommendations (similar to yours ) but still no luck...my only recourse is to send it back to China at my expense and if they find a problem -- then they will replace it.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #278 of 544
Quote:

^This. We probably shouldn't rule out that its a software or computer issue. Try what mrcasey recommended and also try connecting the DA8 to a different computer. If the issue is gone you'll know its something to do with the computer, the drivers, or your media player.

Have tried at least 6 different computers ( 2 PCs, 2 mac minis early 2010 , late 2011.. latest Thinkpads T430 & X1 Carbon)  with the ff OSes

Windows 7&8, Osx 10.6.8,10.8.3  ..with Jriver MC18 , Foobar and  A+1.5 .

I have done this in 3 different locations - apt, friend's home and the office.

Same results.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #279 of 544
Also try a variety of USB ports.  I had a DAC that didn‘t like being connected through a USB 3.0 port even though USB 3.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible. 
You could very well have a defective unit but considering your next option is to send the DA8 back for replacement, it might be worth trying everything you can (although it sounds like you already have).

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #280 of 544
No no... Demand a replacement. You received a defective unit. How can they make you pay for shipping to China. There is a purchase time window right? You should have up to a month  or if its defective they should swap it out. Its not your fault its messed up.

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #281 of 544
For those looking to acquire some DSD files:

dsdfile.com, http://shop.dsdfile.com/ has just released 2 more albums in DSD 64 and DSD 128. (currently downloading)

Although I am very pleased with the DSD content I have downloaded from other distributors, dsdfile.com stands out IMHO for quality and price so far.  They have two outstanding compilation/sampler albums (must have for trying out DSD on your DAC).  Additionally they have released 5 new albums in a short time period.  It seems like they are ramping things up lately.  Check them out.

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #283 of 544
Not to be a party-pooper but could it be that there are above average QC issues with Yulong products? 

I remember reports of some rather "unorthodox" soldering on the D18 a while back as well.

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #284 of 544

Quote:
Also try a variety of USB ports.  I had a DAC that didn‘t like being connected through a USB 3.0 port even though USB 3.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible. 
You could very well have a defective unit but considering your next option is to send the DA8 back for replacement, it might be worth trying everything you can (although it sounds like you already have).

Thanks MrCasey..definitely trying everything to avoid having to ship it back to China. 

Quote:
No no... Demand a replacement. You received a defective unit. How can they make you pay for shipping to China. There is a purchase time window right? You should have up to a month  or if its defective they should swap it out. Its not your fault its messed up.

I bought my DA8 through Grant Fidelity , it is part of their warranty that the customers are responsible for shipping back to them  ..unfortunately I did not read this before making the order.

Quote:

Good call.  

Would appreciate any advice if anyone here has had previous experience with returns or repair to Yulong?

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back