Yulong DA9
Aug 2, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #16 of 32
Just installed the latest version of Windows Creator and also installed the Yulong DA9 drivers. Rebooted and did not turn the power off the DA9 so it powered back on with the computer. I intentionally left the "headphones out" mode on. I got full volume after rebooting! Hopefully, that fixes one of my issues. I'll report back if the problem returns. THX

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #17 of 32
Cool!

Btw I see they have listed the regular driver plus a newer DSD256 driver. I had good luck with the beta of the 256-capable Thesycon driver, so if this is the same thing (and I assume it is) hopefully it will be rock solid.

I used the regular driver (comes up as XMOS) prior to that and everything was fine, but the bulk of my time was spent with the customized Thesycon. So I'm more confident in saying that one is reliable, even if the other one is probably fine too.

Anyway, hope it works out for you.

Aug 3, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #18 of 32
I downloaded the DA9 driver, not the 256. I wasn't sure what the 256 was and now that I know, I really don't have a need for that.

Regardless if this fix works or not, the sound on the DA9 is worth some inconveniences. I'm really blown away by it on a nightly basis. By far my favorite rig I've had. All my headphones sound fantastic, especially the 2 that I can go balanced on. Just like the A18 and D18, every recording sounds good but so much more detail with the DA9. For a music fan (and not an audiophile) such as myself, I'm having a hard time imagining enjoying my music more at this price point. (Particularly the Massdrop price) i couldn't be happier I pulled the trigger on the DA-9.

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #19 of 32
Agreed, the DA9 is quite satisfying. I just picked up an Ether C and brought my Effect Audio Eros balanced cable out of storage (used to use it with Alpha Dogs, sold those a while back). Sounds killer straight from the DA9 balanced out. I'm not even tempted to connect a stand alone headphone amp in this situation.

Aug 3, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #20 of 32
Yeah, at this time, I'm not tempted to add an amp with my current headphone stable. The DA-9 amp is more than sufficient with my 3 phones. The only advantage I'm thinking is that I could avoid the mode changes on the DA-9 because I would only need the "DAC Out" to the AMP. Both the headphones and speakers would connect to the AMP. But that's a lot of money just to simplify my connections. I'd need something pretty solid just to match the DA-9 capabilities and I'd have to get something with the balanced option. I think I'm content to just run the speakers directly to my computer to avoid the mode changes.

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #23 of 32
Has anyone tried out the DA9 with the HD800 (in particular in balanced mode)?

Not the HD800 but the HD800S and it sounded great.

Oct 1, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #28 of 32
Curiosity got the best of me. I ended up adding a Violectric HAP V181 amp to the DA9. I think I've found, at least my intermediate term endgame system. The V181 adds a bit more punch and dynamics to the DA9, which I already loved.

Was wondering what volume level I should be at on the DA9, using it as "Pure DAC"? I currently have it set at about 75% power. (IE -25DBs) Should I max it or am I good where I am?

Oct 1, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #29 of 32
I think it's fine either way. The DA9 volume control is extremely good, so you aren't losing anything by attenuating a bit. But if you can run full scale and not have any issues with distortion or lack of volume adjustment range on the Violectric, then that's an option as well.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #30 of 32
Hi guys
Has any one experience DA9 with HD800S?
Do you thinking DA9 On the scale of its quality ifi pro ?
I'm really confused :wink:

Thanks a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back