YULONG D200 Impression : ES9016 Balanced DAC + Class A Single End Headphone Amp + Balanced Pre-amp
May 3, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #46 of 312
In your opinion Andy, is the price difference between DA8 and D200 worth it in terms of performance? (No safe answer please :))

There is no straight answer, the most I can tell you is if my budget allowed, I'll not hesitate to pay for the difference.

I'll illustrate the "value" represented by the price difference with the following scenario:

If you are fairly new to the hobby, or if you want to try things out and explore your direction in this hobby, go for D200 because you sure can have a good start in this hobby with D200, and let you try a lot of options at good quality benchmark.

If you know what you are looking for, wanted something to feel your need, and put quality ahead of C/P, then go for DA8, it delivers, and you can keep it for a very long time, even in system compromise of several flagship headphones.

If you are budget minded, always prefer bang for the buck, will study a menu carefully when you enter a new restaurant looking for the best deal of the night, then you won't regret to take the D200 anytime.

If you appreciate quality, look into how things are delivered instead of comparing features and specification, will consider the catch of day instead of the "regulars" in a restaurant, then you should give DA8 a try, it might not be everyone's choice, but you'll happy with your pick after you spend time with it.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 3, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #47 of 312
Funnily enough, I'm expecting exactly what you said - hence buying it even with the D8/A8. Running my T1's & denons etc balanced out the back I know will be special with yulong house sound, albeit maybe more neutral than the DA8. I am absolutely expecting a bargain. As I said, times are a changing and it's an amazing time to be a head-fi addict. 
You guys do know it's on special at Grant Fidelity? $629 with free post. 

$629 with free post? I make a trip to China, spend hours to find my way to Yulong's office, and hand carry the box all the way through the long custom queue, and now you can have the D200 hassle free across the ocean at $80 extra only?

I thought I was clever ... :mad:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 3, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #49 of 312
There is no straight answer, the most I can tell you is if my budget allowed, I'll not hesitate to pay for the difference.

I'll to illustrate the "value" represented by the price difference with the following scanerio:

If you are fairly new to the hobby, or if you want to try things out and explore your direction in this hobby, go for D200 because you sure can have a good start in this hobby with D200, and let you try a lot of options at good quality benchmark.

If you know what you are looking for, wanted something to feel your need, and put quality ahead of C/P, then go for DA8, it delivers, and you can keep it for a very long time, even in system compromise of several flat ship headphones.

If you are budget minded, always prefer bang for the buck, will study a menu carefully when you enter a new restaurant looking for the best deal of the night, then you won't regret to take the D200 anytime.

If you appreciate quality, look into how things are delivered instead of comparing features and specification, will consider the catch of day instead of the "regulars" in a restaurant, then you should give DA8 a try, it might not be everyone's choice, but you'll happy with your pick after you spend time with it.

Very well said and thank you for your reply (and restaurant analogy.) :) 

I will keep this in mind for my next purchase.

May 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #50 of 312
  Are you sure they are in UK? Prices are in dollars...
http://www.kidultdiagnostic.com/contact_us.html

Yes, they are based in China but have a warehouse in the UK.  You can select two shipping options on their site.  One is from china = $700 shipped (and you are liable for duty). The other is $788 via Royal Mail.  Royal mail means it must be located in the UK.  Kulong also provide 12 months warranty, so I assume you would send it back to them within this time if there was a fault.  They also have the Matrix dac/pre/amp in the UK.

You can pm them if you have any questions, like I did

http://www.head-fi.org/u/380220/kidult-online

May 3, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #51 of 312
$629 with free post? I make a trip to China, spend hours to find my way to Yulong's office, and hand carry the box all the way through the long custom queue, and now you can have the D200 hassle free across the ocean at $80 extra only?

I thought I was clever ...
mad.gif

Lol, Don't worry mate, we all think we're clever! 
wink.gif

May 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #52 of 312
Kulong also provide 12 months warranty, so I assume you would send it back to them within this time if there was a fault.  They also have the Matrix dac/pre/amp in the UK.

In EU there are by law 24 months warranty. 
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm

May 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #53 of 312
  Very well said and thank you for your reply (and restaurant analogy.) :) 

I will keep this in mind for my next purchase.

Well said Andy - your funny btw.

Luke, if your getting into it all, I would definitely start with the d200. I Haven't heard it yet but have heard all of yulongs other pieces (minus my still to arrive d8/a8). Anyway I have a pretty good guess at it's level of performance and value. In head-fi, the journey is the best bit, as opposed to jumping straight to the destination. I was super impressed by the d100 after owning $2500 Antelope zodiac DAC & amp. Of course the zodiac was better (not but a lot though) but Yulong's was different in a really specially way. He is buy far my favourite designer. To give you an idea, I owned $4000usd of Audio-gd's flagship system. The latest model Ref 7.1 ( the one just before Master7) & the Master 5 amp (just before the Master 9). A true 'hi-end' system by any account. 
When Grant Fidelity announced Yulongs new sabre dac D18 and amp A18, I just had to try it. To put it mildly I was blown away that these tiny 'in comparison' units, sitting next to the behemoth AGD flagship, was putting out the sound it did. It was very different, really musical yet quite neutral - the sound sig has been explained a lot. Either way I sold the AGD stack as I favoured the Yulong stack. Yes my sound signature preference had a lot to do with it as it does with every one, but regardless, I think that says a lot with what Yulong can do. Hence I'm peeing myself waiting to see what he really can do with no holds barred massive d8/a8. 
So what I'm trying to say is don't jump straight to the top with the DA8. I would definitely enjoy his 'apparently stunning" D200 and use the balanced out for your headphones. I can build you an adapter cable if you want. This is the kind of performance 8 years ago people would pay exorbitant money for so your not starting in the gutter thats for sure. Once you've enjoyed the hell out of it, sell it or keep it and then go for the top. Then You'll really appreciate the refinements that will have been made to make the DA8 a true hi-end DAC. 
Just my opinion, but with a designer so special and who offers such value, you'll enjoy the journey for sure.

May 4, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #54 of 312
  Well said Andy - your funny btw.

Luke, if your getting into it all, I would definitely start with the d200. I Haven't heard it yet but have heard all of yulongs other pieces (minus my still to arrive d8/a8). Anyway I have a pretty good guess at it's level of performance and value. In head-fi, the journey is the best bit, as opposed to jumping straight to the destination. I was super impressed by the d100 after owning $2500 Antelope zodiac DAC & amp. Of course the zodiac was better (not but a lot though) but Yulong's was different in a really specially way. He is buy far my favourite designer. To give you an idea, I owned $4000usd of Audio-gd's flagship system. The latest model Ref 7.1 ( the one just before Master7) & the Master 5 amp (just before the Master 9). A true 'hi-end' system by any account. 
When Grant Fidelity announced Yulongs new sabre dac D18 and amp A18, I just had to try it. To put it mildly I was blown away that these tiny 'in comparison' units, sitting next to the behemoth AGD flagship, was putting out the sound it did. It was very different, really musical yet quite neutral - the sound sig has been explained a lot. Either way I sold the AGD stack as I favoured the Yulong stack. Yes my sound signature preference had a lot to do with it as it does with every one, but regardless, I think that says a lot with what Yulong can do. Hence I'm peeing myself waiting to see what he really can do with no holds barred massive d8/a8. 
So what I'm trying to say is don't jump straight to the top with the DA8. I would definitely enjoy his 'apparently stunning" D200 and use the balanced out for your headphones. I can build you an adapter cable if you want. This is the kind of performance 8 years ago people would pay exorbitant money for so your not starting in the gutter thats for sure. Once you've enjoyed the hell out of it, sell it or keep it and then go for the top. Then You'll really appreciate the refinements that will have been made to make the DA8 a true hi-end DAC. 
Just my opinion, but with a designer so special and who offers such value, you'll enjoy the journey for sure.

That's a very logical and helpful post! Appreciate your suggestion and the reasoning behind. I am not in hurry to purchase as I will be receiving my Theorem 720 today, hence I will need time to enjoy this first. I am also interested in Oppo's forthcoming HA-1 which will be IMO a direct competition of DA8. I am not into buying and selling stuff, however D200 is high on my list. I will wait for  your review of D200 even if is still couple of months from now. :)

May 4, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #55 of 312
  That's a very logical and helpful post! Appreciate your suggestion and the reasoning behind. I am not in hurry to purchase as I will be receiving my Theorem 720 today, hence I will need time to enjoy this first. I am also interested in Oppo's forthcoming HA-1 which will be IMO a direct competition of DA8. I am not into buying and selling stuff, however D200 is high on my list. I will wait for  your review of D200 even if is still couple of months from now. :)

Oh no! Don't tell me Oppo have a new hi-end unit coming out! Damn it.     I bought the balanced BDP-105 dual sabre 9018 DAC/AMP/Pre amp/Source, USB to coax converter & not to mention one of the best bluray/dvd/cd players available. As a dac alone it was worth the money. With all those very valuable extras, it was killer value. I'm going to be so friggin broke! Correction - I am so friggin broke! 

May 4, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #56 of 312
  Oh no! Don't tell me Oppo have a new hi-end unit coming out! Damn it.     I bought the balanced BDP-105 dual sabre 9018 DAC/AMP/Pre amp/Source, USB to coax converter & not to mention one of the best bluray/dvd/cd players available. As a dac alone it was worth the money. With all those very valuable extras, it was killer value. I'm going to be so friggin broke! Correction - I am so friggin broke! 

Yes they have (not sure if you can consider it high end though with the gears you have). In fact is will probably released within this month to the tune of 1299USD (or something like that.) And as per those who have beta tested it, it performs well. Better save up some more bucks! :)

May 4, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #58 of 312
Oh dear, thats nice. Like a supercharged nfb-28. Will be quite a while till I could afford it though.
frown.gif

May 4, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #60 of 312
  It's only my humble opinion but I think the DA8 is better

Have you heard them both? I'd love to know the difference. 

I haven't heard the oppo but it will have one hell of a fight on it's hands to beat the DA8. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back