Jan 26, 2014 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Viper2005

500+ Head-Fier
Features: 

● THD + N of less than 0.0005% 
● USB support 32bit, 384KHZ PCM signal
● DSD direct decoding
● 2 filter modes are available, 
● eliminate jitter control switch filters, phase jitter control switch, you can adjust the combination of different styles of sound. 
● High-bandwidth DPLL is locked automatically adjustable volume settings
● balanced / unbalanced balanced preamp output
● preamp output tape drive, you can use a balanced headphone amplifier headphone amplifier
● You can turn off, turn off the preamp output, as a pure decoding
● CPI uses a single-ended headphone amplifier. 
● amp output short circuit protection, power, switching operation delay protection. 
● LCD liquid crystal display, brightness is reduced to 80% .5 seconds without operation when convenient operation 
● Operation setting automatically. 
● 100V-240V universal voltage range

D200 almost the same function as DA8, the performance is extremely close, only in the use of materials and DA8 some difference, so that only half the price DA8.

More info here: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.erji.net%2Fread.php%3Ftid%3D1598140&act=url

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 64
Just checked, looks like D200 + A28 will be very slightly cheaper then DA8, right? 

I budget is tight, D200 + A28 might be more versatile solution as you can almost throw any cans to this combo without second thought for power consideration. 

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 26, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 64
Seems like another nice option.. maybe it will compete on the geek pulse, emotiva dc-1, bifrost uber level

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 64
How is it a downgrade from the DA8? Or is it a DA8 minus the ESS Sabre chip and instead uses something cheaper?

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 64
How is it a downgrade from the DA8? Or is it a DA8 minus the ESS Sabre chip and instead uses something cheaper?

It uses the Sabre 9016 chip vs 9018 in the DA8. Also the D200 uses some cheaper components inside than the DA8, which is why it's cheaper. The THD+N is 0.0005% vs 0.0003% of the DA8 (both extremely low). Seems like there are only two filters on the D200 (sharp and slow for PCM I'm guessing) so it's missing the other 3 DSD filters that DA8 has.

According to that site right now Yulong is still tuning the USB input. He got three versions using different USB implementations to test and see which is best (one XMOS, two others). All other parts of the D200 is finalized.

Seems to me like a downsized DA8 with a cheaper DAC chip, some cheaper components, and certain less-used features of the DA8 removed. DA8 is still better but this should come close, which would make it a much better valued buy at half the price. We have to wait and see to know how it sounds.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 64
Wow, looks like this will be another benchmark for price/performance.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 64
  Wow, looks like this will be another benchmark for price/performance.

Indeed!

By looking at the internal shots, it seems that the output stage of the D200 uses only 4 chips vs the 6 for the DA8, and the dedicated DAC chip clock/crystal seems a bit smaller on the D200. Also the USB implementation on the D200 is surface mounted instead of the plug-in card on the DA8

Another interesting thing that Yulong mentioned is that as he is still in the process of testing the USB implementations for the D200, he doesn't know if one of the three new implementations could be better than the DA8's board. If that does turn out to be the case, the DA8's USB can be upgraded (not sure if he meant for future production runs or if he'll also offer it as an upgrade card, since the DA8's USB card should be user-replaceable). Source comment here: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.erji.net%2Fread.php%3Ftid%3D1598140%26fpage%3D0%26toread%3D%26page%3D3&act=url

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 64
I own a Yulong D18 and I am happy with it but I am starting to wonder if China based companies like Yulong and Audio gd have the same business model as they both seem to feel compelled to come out with the product of the month. It is hard to keep up with all the upgrades and model changes from these companies. They both turn out products that represent great value but who has the time for all that engineering and design work? We are led to believe that each company has one master designer but I am starting to wonder if they both really have teams of designers working in some back room sweat shop and they just push food under the door until they come out with another model or upgrade. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 64
  I own a Yulong D18 and I am happy with it but I am starting to wonder if China based companies like Yulong and Audio gd have the same business model as they both seem to feel compelled to come out with the product of the month. It is hard to keep up with all the upgrades and model changes from these companies. They both turn out products that represent great value but who has the time for all that engineering and design work? We are led to believe that each company has one master designer but I am starting to wonder if they both really have teams of designers working in some back room sweat shop and they just push food under the door until they come out with another model or upgrade. 

Well they push something under the door...

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 64

Most DAC solutions come with a schematic that alot of manufacturers simply follow, but adjust it with better parts. X-Sabre for example is the textbook ESS9018 solution, nothing really special except for a solid block of aluminum.

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #13 of 64

I agree that Yulong is on the hardworking side, but the DA8 and A28 more or less is their product of 2013, they only posted an "update" on their forum on the D200 work in progress, this is not a product launch and the official release date is yet to determined.

I believe Yulong is merely following Chinese custom to get as many things closed up before Chinese New Year as possible, that's why he put up an update on this product in respond to numerous customer inquiries.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 3, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 64
  Most DAC solutions come with a schematic that alot of manufacturers simply follow, but adjust it with better parts. X-Sabre for example is the textbook ESS9018 solution, nothing really special except for a solid block of aluminum.

I agree but Audio gd would be the exact opposite since their designs are really unique (although they combine solutions from other companies which I guess they license). They are into the most overkill I have ever seen in power supply design. Still their products are great value (I have owned some). Yulong is more conventional in his approach but still he keeps them rolling out the door with new designs. Hard to believe that one designer could do all that and still find time to sleep. Although I do agree that Yulong is basing his designs on the manufacturers reference. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 64

At least for the D200 it wasn't a whole new design it was more an update to the previous like how the D100 MKII improved upon the original D100. This DAC is like a culmination of the previous success (D100) paired with new hardware from the DA8. Since the D100 MKII has been discontinued for a while now, I think he may have wanted to fill in the gap left in the mid-fi range by building upon a previous DAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back