Yulong Crystal DAC
Nov 2, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #62 of 135
Haha!

I found it yesterday as well.
Digitalmind said it was smudged with photoshop, as to hide the origin and bump up the price.
Appears to be the excact same DAC.

Nov 2, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #63 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by lesserpanda
I see there are 2 choices of chips for Crystal DAC.

One is CS4397KSZ and the other one is CS43122

Any comment on both of the chips? Which is the strength and weakness of each?

Fan said that Version 5 uses the 4397, the other one was a different one.

Nov 2, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #64 of 135
LOL, they smudged the circuit board as well.

FYI, a friend of mine looked at the DAC and took a look at the data sheet for the chip they are using as well. The CS4397 has very good specs for 24bit, but not as good for 16bit. CD's are 16bit. Not sure how much of an issue this is, but keep it in mind.
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #65 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
LOL, they smudged the circuit board as well.

FYI, a friend of mine looked at the DAC and took a look at the data sheet for the chip they are using as well. The CS4397 has very good specs for 24bit, but not as good for 16bit. CD's are 16bit. Not sure how much of an issue this is, but keep it in mind.
wink.gif

It's 16bit specs are indeed worse than it's 24bit specs but still on par with other dac chips (atleast, the other dac chips that I know). In my experience the rest of the schematic will have a larger impact on the sound quality than the DAC chip.

Well, I just sold some stuff so I'm good to buy a dac.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #66 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crystal-CS4397KS...QQcmdZViewItem

Is this the same DAC ? obviously, it looks like the seller erased off the YuLong lettering on faceplate and audio-SZ mark on PCB using a graphic tool...

FYI: This seller JAAUDIO on ebay is the seller of that OTL tube amp quoted as using high quality parts IE. "Wima caps and ALPs pot"... However upon closer inspection the pot was found to be NOT a parts number of any ALPs pot but a well known Asian imitation discussed here at lenth on HeadFi by the DIYers...

Nov 11, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #68 of 135
Hi all,
this may or may not be relevant but as I'm a valve/bottlehead, heat and it's dissipation is something I'm really critical about.

I have a Bada PH12 hybrid h/amp after throwing away the supplied power cord, shunting the pot and changing two pairs of critical signal caps, I now have a really excellant h/amp BUT there is something I don't like at all - it gets really hot and heat is not good for operating parameters or longevity of component life. So, I have to drill out the PCB and the top and bottom plates, thereby creating a conduction current which will considerably lower the operating temperature.

Looking at this DAC, I see there are 4 x heatsinks - where is the heat going to be dissipated? As far as I can see nowhere and this is about the only area that needs to be changed with Chinese made gear - all equipment that creates any kind of heat should have a way of convecting away the heat - just a thought.

Stuart

Nov 11, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #69 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen
FYI: This seller JAAUDIO on ebay is the seller of that OTL tube amp quoted as using high quality parts IE. "Wima caps and ALPs pot"... However upon closer inspection the pot was found to be NOT a parts number of any ALPs pot but a well known Asian imitation discussed here at lenth on HeadFi by the DIYers...

Yea, thats the same guy that I bought my amp through. His english is pretty limited so it was hard to get a reading on his demener *sp.
-greg

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #70 of 135
I have ordered the Yulong DAC now from Fan Chengzhe and wired him the money. If everything works out I'll receive it within 2 weeks.

Crossing fingers
lambda.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #71 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have ordered the Yulong DAC now from Fan Chengzhe and wired him the money. If everything works out I'll receive it within 2 weeks.

Crossing fingers
lambda.gif

i have received the payment,and i will arrange the delivery as soon as possible.

Nov 17, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #72 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengzhe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have received the payment,and i will arrange the delivery as soon as possible.

Hello Fan, I didn't know you were a member. Good to have you here.

Nov 17, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #73 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Stuart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,
this may or may not be relevant but as I'm a valve/bottlehead, heat and it's dissipation is something I'm really critical about.

I have a Bada PH12 hybrid h/amp after throwing away the supplied power cord, shunting the pot and changing two pairs of critical signal caps, I now have a really excellant h/amp BUT there is something I don't like at all - it gets really hot and heat is not good for operating parameters or longevity of component life. So, I have to drill out the PCB and the top and bottom plates, thereby creating a conduction current which will considerably lower the operating temperature.

Looking at this DAC, I see there are 4 x heatsinks - where is the heat going to be dissipated? As far as I can see nowhere and this is about the only area that needs to be changed with Chinese made gear - all equipment that creates any kind of heat should have a way of convecting away the heat - just a thought.

Stuart

Stuart, modern transistors can easally take up to 80 celsius, so 50 celsius is not an issue here!

Pm me about modding the bada, please. cheers.

Nov 18, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #74 of 135
Hi Tourmaline,
that maybe true about transistors but not about caps or resistors - the higher the temp. the more the values will drift and certainly shortens the usable life of components.

I have a dream - to build a vertical tube amp. with the PSU/mains tx seperate from the delicate signal circitry and connected by an umbilical. A friend built a little EL84 SE using seperate really cheap Maplin boxes - it both looked and sounded marvellous.

Building virtically with o/put tubes right at the top and using shaped plates to both sheild the comps. from RFI/airborne vibrations and to channel convection air currents would definately lower the operating temps dramatically - and it would'nt look bad either.

I will PM with the mods I have done but for general info - the Mundorf/Audiophiler caps are great - if you want a cross between the clarity of Dynamicaps and that wondeful 'liquid' quality of PIOs - try these. They are not expensive and I can't see the point of paying a lot more for the silver or gold/silver types.

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back