Yuin PK3
Feb 25, 2010 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Scott549

100+ Head-Fier
I just spend a few minutes in my office during a break listening to my Yuin PK3's. They really sound good. It has occurred to me that a lot of people could save a lot of money by just getting the PK3's and foregoing the headphone habit. I've tried several IEMs in the $200 range and none of them have been clearly better than the PK3's.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, it comes down to personal tastes, doesn't it? I had the PK3 for about 6 months, but eventually sold them because, while they did sound pretty good, they were too mid-heavy for my tastes. When I bought my MS1i, they are clearly better sounding to me (at only $100) over the PK3. And although I dislike the Sennheiser fullsize phones for being too laidback for me, I like the Senn MX760 earbuds better than the PK3.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 7
Nice review Scott,
I have been reading good reviews on them, specially on soundstage and mids...even better than the JVC HA-FX66.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 7
I don't know about that - it has a lot to do with personal preferences. I've owned the PK3 twice now and sold them both times because they just plain didn't sound better than other earbuds. The first time I sold them for the MX760, same as kmhaynes. I got tired of the Senns and bought them again only to sell them for the PAA-1 buds that came with my Amp3.

And I don't think they compare to most IEMs above $50. Just my opinion. Earphones like the PR1 Pro and RE0 clearly leave the PK3 in the dust when it comes to detail and definition.

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 7
I agree there's a lot of personal taste involved. It depends on the particular use too. I have the Grado SR60s and they are better than the Yuins but not as portable. My favorite IEMs are the Klipsch X5 -- they are obviously far better when isolation is necessary.

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 7
Yuin PK3s are wonderful earbuds. Unamped, I found the treble detail and extension a bit lacking, but when I amped them with my MiniBox E+, the treble came to life. With the MiniBox they appear to have some kind of great synergy. I preferred the sound of that combo to my UE Super.fi 5 Pro whether amped or unamped and enjoyed the sound even more than my PK1s. Too bad I burned my PK3s by plugging my MiniBox into line-in on my soundcard.
frown.gif
I really miss them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back