Yuin PK1 similar to Head-Direct RE0?
Oct 6, 2009 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

archigius

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of Head-Direct RE0 and i use them amped with a Meier Audio Corda 2Move and my Cowon D2.
I really love them and their sound signature!!!
I had Creative ep630, Sennheiser CX300, JVC Marshmallows, Soundmagic PL30, Philips SHE9850, Shure e2c, SE420, SE530; i like RE0 (amped) more than all these.

Now i'm asking myself: has Yuin PK1 a similar sound signature to RE0?
And how about details? RE0 has plenty of details without being boring or too flat; may the PK1 be compared with this?

Oct 6, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 9
The PK1 is likely not even close.

How dynamic and effortless does the RE0 sound with the 2Move amp?

That was a very big curiosity I had with the RE0 I had. I ran it unamped and with a small FiiO E5 amp, but it always sounded small and weak. What was output always seemed like it required a lot of effort to do so, and it lacked the sense of effortlessness and dynamic range. I've always been curious how it performs with a more robust amp and if a robust amp is actually helpful.

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 9
I also tried RE0 with a Fiio E5, but with the 2Move is much better. It's more dynamic, clear and has much more soundstage, it think almost double.
It really sounds very very good, i can compare their sound quality with my old SE530.
Another thing i have to say is that i use them with Shure black foams mounted on the inner plastic of Comply foam; this improves isolation and bass response.

Why PK1 is not even close to RE0? What are the differences in sound signature/detail?

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 9
I haven't used the PK1 personally. I've only used the PK2 and OK1, although I know they're both different from the PK1. There's also a plenty good Yuin comparison thread here comparing all of them too.

The PK1 is a bass heavy "fun" bud. I think it's well balanced but geared in a fun way. The RE0 is not the same as this and more even, balanced, natural, and bass light. Presentation should be totally different.

It's good to hear that the RE0 scales well to wattage. I've had a hunch about it really needing a lot of juice to function properly. For me, it felt weak even with the E5. Then again, when I had that sense with the ER4S too and very noticeably with the OK1. The E5 is not much of a powerhouse. I too own the 2Move and enjoy the bottomless pool of energy it provides. I much prefer to be limited by the speaker then by the amp. I've always been wanting to give the RE0 a second try in a better light.

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 9
I used to have the PK3, and I know the PK1 is probably a much better phone, but one thing to consider is that the PK1 is an earbud, and it just won't have the impact that an IEM like the RE0 has. It will probably be a bit more laid back than the RE0 -- granted, I haven't heard the PK1 -- just an observation I've made with a good number of earbuds vs IEMs.

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 9
Laid back? No. That isn't really what the Yuin buds do. The PK1 is known to be a pretty robust bud with a big can sound. Even my OK1 is quite large in presence even for being a brighter geared design. I agree that a bud can have issues of presence and "size," but the Yuin buds don't really fall short in this area. I haven't used the PK3, so I'm not sure how they compare in the product line up. The PK2 wasn't a massive sound but it had excellent clarity and energy in note. The PK1 is commented to be bigger in sound and bass and more robust than that. There are numerous comments stating that the PK1 sounds much like a full sized can. Using the OK1 amped, it tend to agree that a bud just because of design doesn't necessarily fall short.

An IEM just because it's an IEM doesn't mean it massive in presentation either. Some are laid back, lack energy, and sound small. It's all a matter of design.

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PK1 is a bass heavy "fun" bud. I think it's well balanced but geared in a fun way. The RE0 is not the same as this and more even, balanced, natural, and bass light. Presentation should be totally different.

As i said, i usually add some bass to RE0 via equalization, not so much and not always.
If PK1 has 2-3 decibels more in the bass, this is not a problem.
But a thing i don't like are rolled of hights. I had SE530 and i always had to equalize them a lot.
Now a friend of mine lent me a Sennheiser HD650...great can, but hights are too weak for my taste, they lack sparkle.
Insted, hights on RE0 are perfect IMHO.

So if PK1 has rolled of hights, it's not for me.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 9
Maybe look at the OK1 instead. It's a little on the bright side, but the midrange and top end are awesome. They also don't lack on the low end and offers good range and energy, just a little lower in output versus the mid and high range. If you want sparkle, they've got them.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 9
The Pk1 has a lot more bass than you would think looking at it. I also find it to be very detailed. I agree that the Yuins that i have heard (Pk1 and Pk2) definitely have a very big sound at times it is easy to forget that you are listening to a bud.

However they definitely require a good amp in order to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back