Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Dec 19, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #451 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kiss bass goodbye.

yeah, that is the main problem, Im not ordering yet though so if anyone knows of any earbuds with decent bass, suggestions welcome.

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #452 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Origami /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, that is the main problem, Im not ordering yet though so if anyone knows of any earbuds with decent bass, suggestions welcome.

In a few weeks I'm trying to mod mine with: PodFitKit

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #453 of 1,068
Quote:

In a few weeks I'm trying to mod mine with: PodFitKit

Ooooo! Please let us know how that works out! I'm very curious to hear how that'll with the PK1/2's v.s. the donut foam covers.

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #455 of 1,068
Quote:

Kiss bass goodbye.

I myself got my PK2's recently and I can say that the bass on these aren't good as well. But with the donut foams the bass really cranks up, almost to a point that it is too much for my liking. A bit of EQ adjustment and the earphones just sound fine.

Dec 20, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #456 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Yuin PK1s today, here is what I think.

Firstly, I found that with the Tomahawk, they weren't too happy. I've had to set the Tomahawk to high gain, and with a volume at around 12 o'clock, I am enjoying it, but it still isn't WOW. I am not sure if it's my Tomahawk, or the music I am listening to, but I am not to overjoyed. I am also using the 'donut' pads, but I am concerned as to whether the sound gets affected if they are not 100% with the hole in the centre of the bud. I have notice clipping in my right ear-bud which I am not too happy about, these were bought second hand.

It's a great bud, no doubt, but still, I wasn't blown away as I thought I would have expected. They sound very similar to that of my Grado SR80s.

Newsbreak: OH MY GOD! Within Temptation - Jillian - in total ALAC lossless has just come up and WOW, the beginning orchestral choir blew me away. This has led me to understand that my music that is under the lossless quality may not shine.

So, I shall try another, totally different genre'd lossless track: Delta Goodrem - A Little Too Late. Wow, intro guitars are brilliant, and her voice is just amazing. This bud is very balanced, treats each part of the track (lows, mids and highs) with great justice.

Comfort: great, very light, the donut foam pads are nice, the cord has zero microphonics, and is not stubborn or memory prone (doesn't stay shape if rolled up or anything).

Build: they look nice, clean and professional, and seem quite sturdy.

Sound -
Isolation: this is a bud, can't expect to have isolation as great as my UE's, but, they aren't as open as that of my SR80s.
Leakage: there is a slight leakage of noise, will be heard in total silence, I can listen at an enjoyable level without disturbing those around me.
Clarity: as discussed earlier, the clarity of the music really depends on the source itself, if I am listening to Lossy music then I am definitely not going to enjoy it as much as I would Lossless music.
Soundstage: I used The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby to experiment with the soundstage, and I was quite pleased. You can feel the sounds and instruments coming from different areas. They don't feel like 2 speakers playing in my ears, they feel like the Beatles in my head!
Bass: I used a trance/techno song to test this out, but as I mentioned the clipping/crackling on bass, it wasn't very enjoyable. There was a great bass presence, nice, punchy, without harming any other aspect of the track. Very impressive at the output of this earbud!
Overall: Amped, this sounds amazing, however, was a bit concerned as to why, at first, these sonded, to put it bluntly, like crap. Maybe they needed a few minutes to open up, or I just needed to get used to the sound, but I really like these earphones, feel like fullsize cans, but despite their not so attractive looks, and substantial price-tag, they are worth it!

These are the same songs (all lossless except What a Wonderful World) I used to test out my SF5's (Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5 Impressions), I will listen to them all again with the PK1s:

Delta Goodrem - Brave Face
Nice and crisp beats fro the drum, and brilliant vocals. Her voice sounds absolutely amazing, background singers sound awesome as well. Very very clear, her voice reaches some highs and sound absolutely brilliant! No sibilance, again, you can hear the detail in her voice, its amazing!

Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World
Wow, like the previous song, you can really appreciate the artists voice in detail, and for anyone that has heard this song, Louis' voice is wonderful, and all the instruments, especially the piano is very nicely detailed - still feeling that clipping/crackling in my right ear, really not helping me
frown.gif

Sakin - Braveheart Theme (Trance Remix)
Starts off with some violinistic highs which sound great, then bang, into the doof. Nice, not very deep bass, but nicely shaped, and soft. Can't compare the bass of the PK1 with my SF5's, the PK1s tend to keep everything in balance.

Linkin Park - What I've Done
Can definitely feel the sondstage, with the drums being 'far' away. Guitars sound great, again, very laidback, and well rounded sound. Vocals are nice, crisp and natural, not overpowered by the instruments. You can pinpoint instruments, like I can isolate where certein instruments are coming from - very nice

Enya - Only Time
Very natural vocals, wow, amazing. Instruments sound perfect, just amazing. Really cannot word how good the PK1s treat this song, it's mainly vocal, which are just dealt with so well. Wow!

Final Thought:
I am really enjoying these, feel like my SR80s, but without the heftyness, I am only upset at the fault in the right earpiece that results in the crackling/clipping on the bass, and even when the track has loud parts/peaks in the volume. I'd say, if it weren't for this, I'd be very very happy with them!

maybe you ought to give em some time to burn-in
My PK1 got around 100hour mark to sounds great,
btw i've noticed that if PK1 goes unamped, the bass distorts or cripple
but this doesn't happen when they're properly amped

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #457 of 1,068
I am undecided between the PK1 and the PK2.
I have a Cowon D2 (37+37 mw amp) and will use them 50% of the time with an external amp at home, and the other 50%, without an amp while in business trips.
Does the PK1 sound worse than the PK2, when used without an amp, or consume too much battery?

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #458 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by dancekat59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooooo! Please let us know how that works out! I'm very curious to hear how that'll with the PK1/2's v.s. the donut foam covers.

It will be a few weeks.

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #459 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I myself got my PK2's recently and I can say that the bass on these aren't good as well. But with the donut foams the bass really cranks up, almost to a point that it is too much for my liking. A bit of EQ adjustment and the earphones just sound fine.

The foam donuts helped, but still not enough. I am a basshead.

Dec 20, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #460 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by alias71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am undecided between the PK1 and the PK2.
I have a Cowon D2 (37+37 mw amp) and will use them 50% of the time with an external amp at home, and the other 50%, without an amp while in business trips.
Does the PK1 sound worse than the PK2, when used without an amp, or consume too much battery?

PK1 does better than PK2 even unamped,
yes PK1 consumes more battery in my D2, i never had more than 25 hour when using PK1 with D2

Dec 20, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #462 of 1,068
It took a while for me to get mine in Canada, but I e-mailed him and he told me everything would be alright, and lo and behold they showed up one fine day.
smily_headphones1.gif

The whole time, the USPS thing showed the same message, so I'm pretty much convinced that it's total garbage. Don't rely on it at all.

I haven't been able to use my PK2s yet because they're supposed to be a christmas present!
eek.gif

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #464 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by dabblerblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It took a while for me to get mine in Canada, but I e-mailed him and he told me everything would be alright, and lo and behold they showed up one fine day.
smily_headphones1.gif

The whole time, the USPS thing showed the same message, so I'm pretty much convinced that it's total garbage. Don't rely on it at all.

I haven't been able to use my PK2s yet because they're supposed to be a christmas present!
eek.gif

who exactly you emailed mate?

Dec 21, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #465 of 1,068
I emailed him as well.

This him is Fang from Head-Direct. It was on the 13th day of shipping when I emailed him, but it arrived here in Toronto the next day. Takes longer than usual now for some reason. I think even shipping via. EMS from China is even quicker than USPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back