Yuin PK Series Durability
Sep 29, 2009 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

vanfrosty

New Head-Fier
A sad day

My lightly used 2-3 month old PK2s started sputtering in my ear while jogging this morning. When I got home, I plugged it in to another source and confirmed that there is a fault near the plug - When the wire is jiggled, one of the channels cuts in and out.

Looking around this forum, it doesn't seem that this is an uncommon problem, so I'm wondering:

Has anybody had any PK series headphones that have lasted a long time? The strain relief for the plug doesn't look very good - It's very stiff and doesn't seem to support the solder points to prevent tug damage. If I was to get another pair, I would get some of that shrink tubing that has the glue inside and re-cover the connector and a few millimeters of the cable to reinforce things.

and

Does anybody have contact info where I guy in the USA can contact Yuin about having them replaced? I heard in one thread that an email address for a guy named Fang is available somewhere, but I couldn't seem to find it. On that note, has anybody succeeded in getting a warranty replacement on these? if so, where did you initially buy them from (I got mine new on eBay)?

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 10
Oh, and if I can't have them replaced under warranty, I'll have to re-plug the cable, so I'll need to know where a person of discriminating tastes can buy a good quality portable-style 3.5mm plug. All the ones I've found on line have been the standard electronics shop way-too-bulky-style ones. I like the style of the Neutrik L-bend connector (with the rubber strain relief), but a 90 degree connector would be counter-intuitive for my purposes.

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm on my third year with a pair of PK2's. I wear them cycling, so they get sweated on and generally yanked around. Still working well. The cord near the earpiece is stiff from sweat but otherwise they are holding up.

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanfrosty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and if I can't have them replaced under warranty, I'll have to re-plug the cable, so I'll need to know where a person of discriminating tastes can buy a good quality portable-style 3.5mm plug. All the ones I've found on line have been the standard electronics shop way-too-bulky-style ones. I like the style of the Neutrik L-bend connector (with the rubber strain relief), but a 90 degree connector would be counter-intuitive for my purposes.

Then buy the Neutrik straight plug. They are very nice and easy to work with, actually easier than the L-shaped. I see they don't have them on their website, maybe they discontinued them?
The model is NEU NYS231BG, I bought mine from Take Five Audio.

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #7 of 10
Eh, I've had my PK3 for awhile...more than a few months, at least...and it's been holding up just fine so far.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for the model number on that Neutrik straight plug - I didn't realize how compact it was until I pictures of it next to other things. I think I'll buy a couple to have on hand.

I think that I've found Fang's email address - I've sent him a message, so hopefully he'll get back to me soon. Anybody want to place a bet on whether or not they'll replace it? I give not 2 to 1 odds, but my opinion of Yuin will be much improved if they do honor it.

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 10
Had a PK1 and then got an OK1 and gave the PK to my wife. First pair of OK1 started buzzing in left earpiece after about 10 months. Sent in and got a warranty replacement. Going on about 8 months on new ones and they just started a light buzz on quiet pieces at certain frequencies. Notice it a lot on acoustic guitars. Don't notice it too much on everything else but I'm starting to notice it even more so I guess I'm done with the OK1 and Yuin. Too bad, I really like the sound paired with my little Hornet but the buzz is getting too annoying. Any ideas for a comparable replacement nowadays?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back