Your undiscovered gems; obscure new music
Aug 3, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #31 of 75
Mr Do said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
The field you label as indietronica is one of my favorite nowadays, with bands like...

That's a very similar list to what I've been diggin' lately. You should check out Styrofoam too. Many of the artists you list contribute heavily to the album. Based on me loving Styrofoam and reading a bit about it I went out and bought Neon Golden, Scary World Theory, American Analog Set's Golden Years, and brought back out some older Alias stuff.

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #32 of 75
stuckie27 said:
Here are a few cd's that I have been into lately

Wow stuckie...Great list!! I have about half of them and am scribbling down the missing ones for another trip to the cd store..Any you would go for right off the bat? ( Yet another way Head-fi empties your wallet...)

-Nac...

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #33 of 75
NacMacFeegle said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuckie27
Here are a few cd's that I have been into lately

Wow stuckie...Great list!! I have about half of them and am scribbling down the missing ones for another trip to the cd store..Any you would go for right off the bat? ( Yet another way Head-fi empties your wallet...)

-Nac...

I am the music director for a college radio station, and I just kinda picked the cd's that I have really been into lately. I will bold the ones that I believe are quality buys.

Lali Puna - B sides and unreleased cd

Joanna Newsom - The Milk eyed Mender Her cd came out in 2004 and it recieves a great response when played. I really enjoy it, and have shared it with many people.(Amazing vocals imo)

Skeletons and the girl faced boys (Great Album!!)

Brian Eno - Another day on earth Really nice chill album from one of the masters of the electronica genre

Transglobal Underground - Impossible broadcasting These guys have been around long as well and their outlook is of Global porporption. The do some what of an electronic album, kinda like Brian Eno, but the include loads of different element from around the world.

Spoon - Gimme Fiction My favorite "indie" release of this year. Every song is quality, this record will stand the test of time.

Four tet - Everyting Elastic

Decomposure - At home and uneffected Recorded from sounds inside his apartment, and programmed on a computer using little or no external effects. The outcome is amazing Aphex twinish compalation on some tracks, NIN on another, and some electronic indie on some as well. Great album once again this album is solid and does not dissapoint on any track. It is exciting to listen to what Decomposure has in store next. And the profits for this cd go to Amesty International.

Astronautalis - Yon and yer Good Ideas

Digitata - Sexually Transmitted Emotions

Kristin Allen Zito - Helium

Caribou - The milk of Human Kindness From the artist formerly known as Manitoba. An amazing collection of great music. Alot like m83 if you like thier style. I have the CD, a signed Vinyl, and Have seen them in concert. The front man just recieved his master in mathematics btw.

Tosca - J.A.C One of my favorite electronic albums of the year. Great all around, I haven't stopped playing this one.

13 and God - 13 and God

To add to the list

Jorane
Starts
Brazilian Girls
Eisley
Enon
Bright Eyes
Of Montreal
The Decemberist

I am not knocking any of the others but these are amazing in my opinion.

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #34 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I agree. Her voice takes a little while to warm up to because it's a little too "precious" at first. But I'm really digging it now. And she's also quite attractive IMO, which always helps your music sound better.
wink.gif

She can play the hell out of a harp, too. She's not as innovative as someone like Zeena Perkins, but very impressive.

And no one can resist "The Book of Right On"

Who are you guys talking about?? I tried to search Amazon for "Blasphemer" and "The Book Of Right On" and could not find anything???

stuckie27 - Jorane is pretty sweet, different but I'm liking her style

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #35 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamjacksears
Who are you guys talking about?? I tried to search Amazon for "Blasphemer" and "The Book Of Right On" and could not find anything???

jacksears, we were talking about Joanna Newsom. "The Book of Right-On" appears on her full-length release "The Milk-Eyed Mender"

"Blasphemer" is not a song, at least not one that I know. It was a reference to saturnine for calling her vocals "terrible."
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #36 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
jacksears, we were talking about Joanna Newsom. "The Book of Right-On" appears on her full-length release "The Milk-Eyed Mender"

"Blasphemer" is not a song, at least not one that I know. It was a reference to saturnine for calling her vocals "terrible."
tongue.gif

ok.... now I feel like Jacksass
blink.gif

thanks for help
eggosmile.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #38 of 75
Everyone should own Kruder and Dorfmeister - The K&D Sessions. Fantastic album.

Also Morcheeba - Big Calm. Could have been mastered better, but the material is amazing.

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #39 of 75
The band that started all of this in my opinion is Seefeel. Back in th early 90's they combined the guitars of My Bloody Valentine with ambient beats of Aphex Twin. Also, Slowdive had a few electronic songs on there second album Sluvaki back then as well.

Later.
Do!

Aug 5, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #41 of 75
Seefeel -- good!

Aug 5, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #42 of 75
tv on the radio- Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes. very interesting stuff! i suggest staring at the sun

the decemberists-Picaresque. and wonderful listen. goes from sea chanty type songs to ballads to just fun song to listen to. i suggest marniers revenge

bloc party- SILENT ALARM.they are getting more and more know but a great cd to have and just let play. i suggest price of gas and luno.

just my 2 cents

louiscypher

Aug 6, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #43 of 75
Well, you asked for obscure...so these are the only albums I could think of that are completely unlike any other albums I've heard, before or since:

1. Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun (Birdman Records): This is an easy one. The Boredoms have made a ton of albums but this is different than all of them and I can guarantee will never be replicated (mostly due to lineup changes). Imagine punk rock mixed with psychedelic 60's rock, cranked severely up to blissed-out levels and seemingly going on forever, That's the best description I can give you for this album. Oh, and toss in some awesome polyrhythmic drumming and whacked-out electronic manipulations. Did I mention they're Japanese? Too bad this one doesn't even hold a candle to their live show...
biggrin.gif

2. Jim O'Rourke - I'm Happy, And I'm Singing, And A 1,2,3,4 (Mego Records): If you're familiar with Jim O'Rourke, this is completely different than most of his other records. It's three tracks of electronic music, which is in reality acoustic instruments (accordian, string quartet, guitar, etc) used as sound sources and manipulated with computers. All three tracks were live recordings, which I never would have guessed. There's no percussion and a lot of pure tones here, but O'Rourke manages to exhibit emotions ranging from paranoia, to manic energy, to extreme pathos on this record.

3. No-Neck Blues Band - Sticks And Stones Will Break My Bones But Names Will Never Hurt Me (Revenant Records):probably based around folk and free improv as far as I can tell, it's hard for me to describe this record. There are some "rock" elements here, but not many, yet somehow from an ever-changing sea of guitar, bass, flute, sax, violin, percussion, etc, all the instrumentation will coalesce to form unbelievably groovy passages. There's a lot going on in this record, even tho at times the musicians seem to be playing very loosely and casually, and when I listen it's hard to feel like I can fully understand it. But in a good way!

4. Charalambides - Joy Shapes (Kranky Records): Probably one of the creepiest records I've ever heard. Almost entirely consisting of just female vocals and guitars, this is probably the least "user friendly" album here. Which doesn't mean it isn't good, Charalambides manage to very clearly put on record their unique vision, and it remains enticing and listenable to me after a long time, especially late at night. The female vocalists here sound possessed at times, and the guitars can be very echoey and detached. Probably the best description I can muster at the moment.

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #44 of 75
I've just discovered Cuban music so:

Omara Portuondo....La Coleccion Cubana

Actually a compilation of her earlier stuff but out of all my recent purchases I enjoyed this the most. She is described as the Cuban version of Edith Piaf.

Aug 7, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #45 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by louis cypher
the decemberists-Picaresque. and wonderful listen. goes from sea chanty type songs to ballads to just fun song to listen to. i suggest marniers revenge

recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back