Your undiscovered gems; obscure new music
Aug 2, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #17 of 75
How's this for a graveyard bump? Instead of starting a new thread tho, I'm just using this one.

Not a new artist, but a gem of a discovery...

FRED ASTAIRE.

No joke, I don't know how "Puttin' on the Ritz" and "I Concentrate on You" ended up on my itunes library, but it did. Must have been cowering in my HD somewhere. Anyhow I fired them up when looking for some Ella Fitzgerald and I was blown away. The HP2s love this guy's vocals. I think it's due to his extremely closely miked approach- and he enunciates everything, even while using "slang" for the time.

Another one some folks at the NYC meet got to listen to-

ELVIS PRESLEY.

I don't mean that "A Little Less Conversation" JXL mix crap, I mean the down and dirty "Blue Suede Shoes" and hokey pokey "The Devil in Disguise." I played Elvis through Bozebutton's HE90 system, and it was insane. I think this stuff was remastered on redbook or something, because it sounded so clean and so raw and rockin' - love that 'ol hounddog!

Aug 2, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #18 of 75
A bump for the graveyard bump
smily_headphones1.gif

My little list:
Josh Ritter
Devendra Banhart
Kenna
Vetiver
Joanna Newsom (terrible vocals, but amazing music)
Vashti Bunyan
ESPers
Antony & the Johnsons (best male/female black/white voice ever
tongue.gif
seriously, Antony has an unbelieveable voice)
TENHI!!!!

Lots of different Genres there, but mostly folk/indie.

Aug 2, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #19 of 75
Alright Alright Feel this:

The Mighty Ryeders.
"Help Us Spread The Message"

The album is alright but there is one track called "Evil Vibrations" that De La Soul sampled for "A Rollerskating Jam Called Saturday". Its got some awesome keyboards and haunting vocals that keep bringing that subterranean race of psychics from "Beneath The Planet Of The Apes" to mind. I passed on the last copy on Amazon that was normally priced and now they want $80 for it. I paid $20 for the last cd copy on GEMM from a music store in Australia (Redeye.com.au). Im so happy!

Here's a sample:
http://www.tigersushi.com/site/frame...jsp&RcdId=7030

Im also waiting on a Ruth Copeland cd from Amazon that has some funky stuff on it. Ill post a follow-up thread about that one later.

Aug 2, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #20 of 75
Ghostly international is a highly under-rated label with a ton of great bands on it. My personal favorate is skeletons and the girl faced boys, their new release, "git", is quite good.

But, on the topic of new, undiscovered gems...

DeKotchVa, a indie rock band with a lot of eastern european influence is a wonderfully neglected band. Think what arcade fire would sound like if they were a foursome focusing on ethnic folk music, and you'll get an idea. My personal favorate CD of theirs is una volta.

I don't know if i'd truly consiter them a gem, but eluvium is an often neglected memeber of the temporary residence label (The most famous of their peers are explosions in the sky). His newest album, talk amongst the trees, provides a fascinating soundscape to late nights spent in quiet rooms.

Aug 2, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #21 of 75
Some undiscovered Gems:

Mountain Goats - Sunset Tree
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere
The Editors - The Back Room (a must if your a Joy Division fan)

Cheers,

Pete.

Aug 2, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #22 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
A bump for the graveyard bump
smily_headphones1.gif

My little list:
Josh Ritter
Devendra Banhart
Kenna
Vetiver
Joanna Newsom (terrible vocals, but amazing music)
Vashti Bunyan
ESPers
Antony & the Johnsons (best male/female black/white voice ever
tongue.gif
seriously, Antony has an unbelieveable voice)
TENHI!!!!

"(terrible vocals, but amazing music)"

Blasphemer! I love her voice. It's so unique. No one sounds like that.

Nice list! I'll add Akron/Family, Fursaxa, Bardo Pond, Jack Rose, Jim O'Rourke and Six Organs of Admittance

Aug 2, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #23 of 75
Cocorosie. I'm going to butcher the album title becasue it's french and this is from memory, but I believe it's called "La Maison de Reve." Very unusual but an awesome album. I saw them tour with Bright Eyes and I was actually a little upset when he came on stage.
eek.gif

Aug 2, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #24 of 75
Aug 2, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
"(terrible vocals, but amazing music)"

Blasphemer! I love her voice. It's so unique. No one sounds like that.

biggrin.gif

Yeah, I agree. Her voice takes a little while to warm up to because it's a little too "precious" at first. But I'm really digging it now. And she's also quite attractive IMO, which always helps your music sound better.
wink.gif

She can play the hell out of a harp, too. She's not as innovative as someone like Zeena Perkins, but very impressive.

And no one can resist "The Book of Right On"

Aug 2, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #26 of 75
A few CDs I often mention on here, but nobody seems to have:

James Burton and Ralph Mooney : Corn Pickin N Slick Slidin - A fantastic instrumental album by two legendary studio musicians.

Mark O'connor - New Nashville Cats - A great collaboration of some of the finest Nashville musicians. Stellar recording quality.

Corenlius- Point on Point Wacky Japanese guy who does some interesting 5.1 audio recordings.

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #27 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Cocorosie. I'm going to butcher the album title becasue it's french and this is from memory, but I believe it's called "La Maison de Reve." Very unusual but an awesome album. I saw them tour with Bright Eyes and I was actually a little upset when he came on stage.
eek.gif

Close, it's "La Maison de Mon Reve," literally, the house of my dreams. I like it too, it has a weird vintage-modern feel, kinda creepy female vocals plus beats, assorted instruments and samples.

Edit: I forgot to mention some of the Table of the Elements releases, I've heard a few of them and they're all really neat and very different. Zeena Parkins has 2 releases, neat affected improv harp stuff; I have an awesome silkscreened LP by LaDonna Smith, improv violin/viola; and I can't remember the third artist I've heard, it was another silkscreened LP, probably some more electronic/improv/samples. Beautiful artwork and packaging, even better music.

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #29 of 75
Davey said:
No I haven't, but I just checked around a little and they do sound good. I generally prefer the stuff with vocals, especially when the songs are so strong like on Neon Golden. Is it just that you prefer music without vocals, or is it that you like "purer" electronica? The field you label as indietronica is one of my favorite nowadays, with bands like...

The Notwist
Laika
Stereolab
Manitoba
Múm
Lali Puna
Dntel
Four Tet
Mouse On Mars
The Postal Service
Solex
Broadcast
Hood

Nice musical taste.
Here are a few other to check out.

Mice Parade
Arab Strap
Her Space Holiday
Monade
The High Lamahs
Barcelona

Enjoy!

Do!

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #30 of 75
Here are a few cd's that I have been into lately

Lali Puna - B sides and unreleased cd
Joanna Newsom - The Milk eyed Mender (Amazing vocals imo)
Skeletons and the girl faced boys (Great Album!!)
Brian Eno - Another day on earth
Transglobal Underground - Impossible broadcasting
Spoon - Gimme Fiction
Four tet - Everyting Elastic
Decomposure - At home and uneffected
Astronautalis - Yon and yer Good Ideas
Digitata - Sexually Transmitted Emotions
Kristin Allen Zito - Helium
Caribou - The milk of Human Kindness
Tosca - J.A.C
13 and God - 13 and God

Users who are viewing this thread