Your top twenty sitcoms of all time...
Feb 16, 2005 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
My top twenty are (in no particular order)

Fawlty Towers
Only Fools and Horses
The Office
Rising Damp
The rise and fall of Reginald Perrin
Porridge
Dad's Army
Rab C Nesbitt
One Foot In The Grave
Please Sir
Robin's Nest
The Liver Birds
Shelly
Blackadder
Steptoe and Son
George and Mildred
Butterflies
Love Thy Neighbour
Till death us do part
On the Buses

They're all British sitcoms

Some of the US sitcoms I like include:

Bilko (Phil Silvers)
Everyone loves Raymond
Cheers
Frasier
TAXI
Home Improvement
M*A*S*H

I couldn't think of any other US sitcoms
confused.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 76
can't think of twenty atm . . . but:

Married . . . with children (all-time fav, watched it since I was a really young)
Everybody likes raymond
seinfeld (started watching)
friends

I'll add when I can thinks of some names (there are a lot in my head). My favs were the older ones from the '90s.

Pink, the tooltime show is called Home Improvement

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
The one that has "tooltime" and the next door neighbour who talks over the fence but you never see his face (can't remember the name of the show)

Home Improvement

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 76
All In The Family (US adapt. of Til Death Do Us Part)
Seinfeld (first half of run, later seasons were god awful)
Cheers
Everybody Loves Raymond
Married With Children
Three's Company
Odd Couple
The Honeymooners
Happy Days (atleast until Ron Howard left)
The Jeffersons
Sanford & Son (US adaptation of Steptoe & Son)
King Of Queens
Roseanne (last few years stunk, though)
and then my favorite two of all-time:

Friends and Will & Grace (NOT
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Home Improvement

That's the one!! The funniest part is seeing the neighbours hat but not his face...... was his face ever revealed??

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
All In The Family (US adapt. of Til Death Do Us Part)
Seinfeld (first half of run, later seasons were god awful)
Cheers
Everybody Loves Raymond
Married With Children
Three's Company
Odd Couple
The Honeymooners
Happy Days (atleast until Ron Howard left)
The Jeffersons
Sanford & Son (US adaptation of Steptoe & Son)
King Of Queens
Roseanne (last few years stunk, though)
and then my favorite two of all-time:

Friends and Will & Grace (NOT
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

I totally agree re: friends and Will and Grace the humour is sooo predictable and sooo repetitive, funny the first time you see it but very "sameish" and stale episode after episode.

I'm starting to like King of queens, if they lost that unfunny wife and concentrated on the day to day life of a UPS delivery man it would make it a better show IMO.... the men in the show are quite funny (specially the dad who lives in the basement)

Another US one I have just remembered is Third Rock From The Sun...... quite funny in parts..... the lead character has got such a funny face
tongue.gif

I watched a double episode of "Joey" yesterday expecting it to be pretty good...... I was very disappointed, it's just an extension of friends with the same repetitive catchphrases being bandied about at random with the same canned laughter.... that could be a good show if new blood was introduced into the writing dept. As it stands, it's Friends without the rest of the cast, very disappointing.

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 76
Quote:

That's the one!! The funniest part is seeing the neighbours hat but not his face...... was his face ever revealed??

I don't believe Wilson's face was ever revealed. Unfortunately, the actor who played Wilson has passed on.
rolleyes.gif

Second Three' Company (US adaptation of UK's "Man About The House")....John Ritter is a comic genius.

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 76
Quote:

I totally agree re: friends and Will and Grace the humour is sooo predictable and sooo repetitive, funny the first time you see it but very "sameish" and stale episode after episode.

I'm starting to like King of queens, if they lost that unfunny wife and concentrated on the day to day life of a UPS delivery man it would make it a better show IMO.... the men in the show are quite funny (specially the dad who lives in the basement)

Another US one I have just remembered is Third Rock From The Sun...... quite funny in parts..... the lead character has got such a funny face
tongue.gif

I can't watch a single episode of either Friends or Will & Grace. Year after year of the same sex jokes that weren't funny the first time.

I like the wife on King Of Queens. She offsets his immaturity very good, and she has a nasty, sharp wit. The dad (Jerry Stiller, also George's father on Seinfeld) is very funny, too. It has a good supporting cast as well.

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
I don't believe Wilson's face was ever revealed. Unfortunately, the actor who played Wilson has passed on.
rolleyes.gif

Second Three' Company (US adaptation of UK's "Man About The House")....John Ritter is a comic genius.

Ritter was great. I actually enjoyed the newer sitcom "Eight Simple Rules" because of him. Since he passed, the show just isn't funny. John carried it.

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 76
1. Seinfeld (nothing even comes close)
2. Saved By the Bell (the original series, not all that other crap)
3. McGuyver
4. Airwolf
5. A-Team
6. Knight Rider
7. Fresh Prince of Bell-Air

The rest (without a lot of thought) in no particular order:

Martin
Family Matters (TGIF in general was great, this is my favorite)
Home Improvement
The Brady Bunch
Married with Children
Night Court
Doogie Howser, MD
That 70's show
Full house

As I'm putting this together, I realize that I don't know the definiton of sitcom. I'm thinking that Airwolf, A-Team, etc don't really count because they're more action than sitcom? Anyway, they were on weekly and I watched them whenever I had the chance.

edit: How can I forget? PERFECT STRANGERS!

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 76
Quote:

I can't watch a single episode of either Friends or Will & Grace. Year after year of the same sex jokes that weren't funny the first time.

the woman in Will and Grace (Grace) doesn't have an ounce of humour in her body...... she just doesn't look funny or act it.... hard to pinpoint what it is about her but she can't deliver comedy IMO...... she's be better in a serious drama, her persona does not lend itself to comedy.

Quote:

I like the wife on King Of Queens. She offsets his immaturity very good, and she has a nasty, sharp wit. The dad (Jerry Stiller, also George's father on Seinfeld) is very funny, too. It has a good supporting cast as well.

She's more pallatable than the Will and Grace woman and, yes, she has an acerbic wit and keeps Doug on the straight and narrow....... I'd just like to see a bit more of Doug and the boys "unleashed" maybe going on a weekend bender to "Atlantic city" and getting red eyed and totally mashed ....... doing things they will "never" be forgiven for
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 76
Eh, I highly doubt I've even watched 20 different sitcoms, but here are the ones I remember liking (in order of preference):

- Perfect Strangers
- Family Matters
- Married W/ Children
- Saved by the Bell
- Seinfeld
- Full House
edit: and King of Queens gets an honorable mention, because the wife is hot!

Quote:

jefemeister said...

As I'm putting this together, I realize that I don't know the definiton of sitcom. I'm thinking that Airwolf, A-Team, etc don't really count because they're more action than sitcom?

Yeah, I loved McGuyver and those shows, but they're not sitcoms.

Feb 16, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 76
In no particular order

Coupling (UK)
Frasier
Father of the pride
Scrubs
Two and a half men
King Of Queens
Seinfeld
Fresh Prince of Bell-Air
Full house
My wife and kids
Boston Legal

Feb 16, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 76
Oddly enough, a good chunk of mine are British as well (long long time since I've seen some of them, though):
Yes, Minister
Yes, Prime Minister
To the Manor Born
Butterflies
Red Dwarf

American (long time since I've seen any of these either; don't watch much TV these days):
Family Ties
Night Court
I Dream of Jeannie
M*A*S*H

Hmmm... I'm running low here. Never could stand "Married With Children", although I'm always vaguely disturbed by the fact that Ed O'Neill (the father) turns out to be a really good actor, in other venues.

Feb 16, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 76
Hello, anybody home?????
Didn't we forget anything?
How about: M*A*S*H ????
Edit: Doh!!! Dixie Flatline beat me to it. I always take too long writing posts.

Now that was a great show. Only ever got to watch the localized german version but even that was great.
For the Germans here: "Ein Herz und eine Seele" was also a great sitcom.

"Malcolm in the middle" is very funny, too. My favorite current sitcom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back