Your Top 5 Representative Albums of a Genre
Oct 31, 2009 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Justin Uthadude

500+ Head-Fier
I am finding out that the better my headphones and equipment gets, the more I like other types of music that I didn’t used to listen to. In other words, my musical world is expanding as my wallet is shrinking. (I may not be alone)

I am asking members of the Head-Fi music forum community to help me out with a list of what you think are 5 representative albums of some genre you know well; not necessarily your all-time favorites, but what would be a good selection of albums to introduce a new person to that type of music. I want to listen to more music, but don’t want to be turned off by picking crap on my first foray.

Or to put it another way: name that genre in 5 albums or less

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 8
Classic Progressive Rock:

crimson_king.jpg
Selling_England-1a.jpg
[http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/...a21430bd03.jpg
3049267258_a21430bd03.jpg
Jethro-Tull-Thick-As-A-Brick-431161.jpg
octopus.jpg

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Yes - Close To The Edge
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
Gentle Giant - Octopus

(Pink Floyd is not Progressive Rock to me.....they are album rock or art rock)

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 8
Classic reggae:

Various Artists - The Harder They Come (Soundtrack)
Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey
Black Uhuru - Red
Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
The Wailers - Burnin'

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks so far guys.

Terriblepaulz – I didn’t know about The Harder They Come soundtrack. It’s full of Jimmy Cliff. Just ordered it.

David – I grew up on this stuff. Is that what’s on the cover of your copy of Octopus?

Dublo7 – Opeth and Porcupine Tree are kinda ‘like some of it/don’t like some of it’ for me. Which one of the other 3 would you suggest I buy first?

I don’t want to sound lazy or rude, but this is like having a personal shopper =^)

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks so far guys.

Terriblepaulz – I didn’t know about The Harder They Come soundtrack. It’s full of Jimmy Cliff. Just ordered it.

David – I grew up on this stuff. Is that what’s on the cover of your copy of Octopus?

Dublo7 – Opeth and Porcupine Tree are kinda ‘like some of it/don’t like some of it’ for me. Which one of the other 3 would you suggest I buy first?

I don’t want to sound lazy or rude, but this is like having a personal shopper =^)

Definately The Mars Volta. If you can, also get the album De-Loused in the Comatorium. Enjoy
dt880smile.png

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 8
Excellent idea this post! I'm also taking benefit of this !
biggrin.gif

Thank you!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back