Your three favourite Female Vocalists
Jun 9, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #31 of 85
- Otep from OTEP. (death grunts were never that cute)

- Heather Findlay from Mostly Autumn. (warm warm)

- Tarja Turunen from Nightwish.

Well in no particular order, but people like Norah Jones and Joss Stone sure do have great voices as well.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #32 of 85
Jun 9, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #33 of 85
Female voices I USED to like, but have fallen out of favor-

1)Natalie Merchant. Used to think she had the most original evocative voices evar. I was back in high school then and 10,000 Maniacs rocked my world. But now she just sounds croaky.

2)Sade. DAMN she was smooth. But now I listen to her and my eyes glaze over.

3)Lisa Stansfield. The rebirth of Philly Soul? Somewhere along the way she became middle of the road and that WASN'T a good thing. Bring back those techno beats!

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #34 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by pframe
Don't know Toni Halliday. Otherwise, I think those are ALL outstanding picks, dude!

Thanks. And if you don't know Toni Halliday, you really should check out the band Curve. A while back there was even a "Curve appreciation thread" (OK, I started it). Curve sounds a little bit like Garbage, except of course that [a] Halliday has a better voice, Curve is much harder/edgier, and [c] Curve came before Garbage. Now, I like Garbage a lot, but I still tend to think of them as "Curve lite".

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #35 of 85
Patti Cathcart (of Tuck & Patti)
Ella Fitzgerald
Aimee Mann
Bonnie Rait (her guitar playing outweighs her vocal abilities, and thats probably the main attraction... IMHO)

**edit**
I never really cared for female vocalists too much, till I got my MS2... that was the real eye opener. My MDR-CD870 sounds dull and flat, DT770 lacks lower throat resonance, and the MDRV6 bright and piercing. While the MS2 is smooth and vibrant.

Garrett

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #36 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
Thanks. And if you don't know Toni Halliday, you really should check out the band Curve. A while back there was even a "Curve appreciation thread" (OK, I started it). Curve sounds a little bit like Garbage, except of course that [a] Halliday has a better voice, Curve is much harder/edgier, and [c] Curve came before Garbage. Now, I like Garbage a lot, but I still tend to think of them as "Curve lite".

very_evil_smiley.gif

Will check them out. Have a favorite CD to get a Curve newbie started?

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #37 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by pframe
Will check them out. Have a favorite CD to get a Curve newbie started?

If you can stomach a double, they have a very nice compilation double CD called The Way of Curve which covers most of their career. Highly recommended.

biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #38 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
If you can stomach a double, they have a very nice compilation double CD called The Way of Curve which covers most of their career. Highly recommended.

biggrin.gif

Added to the wish list. Thanks for the rec, SunByrne.

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #39 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I never really cared for female vocalists too much, till I got my MS2... that was the real eye opener. My MDR-CD870 sounds dull and flat, DT770 lacks lower throat resonance, and the MDRV6 bright and piercing. While the MS2 is smooth and vibrant.

Totally agree Garrett!!!
biggrin.gif
I got my MS-2i's a couple days ago and they are just TREMENDOUS for female vocals, I had to raid my girlfriends CD collection to find some cause all I have is rock! I've been fighting with her ever since on who gets to listen to what albumn first!
biggrin.gif

That being said I think my current favorites right now are Ella Fitzgerald, Janis Joplin, Norah Jones, and Alanis Morissette. There were a couple other gals that I liked, but I forget who they were. I think I'm going to have to go and look up this Diana Krall, I've been just been reading about her and I think I should check it out.

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #41 of 85
Sarah Vaughn
Eva Cassiday
Michael Jackson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back