Your three favourite Female Vocalists
Jun 9, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #16 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Pop - Karen Carpenter. Yep I know she's middle of the road but she's just so great.

What is so "middle of the road" about the most angelic, warm, and comforting female voice ever?
icon10.gif

I have a very soft spot for the late Karen Carpenter because her voice is my earliest memory of music. My mom was obsessed with The Carpenters so she would play their music all the time during my infancy. I'm not exactly sure how old I was since my cognitive functioning was not fully developed, but her voice more than anything else reminds me of home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman
Harriet Wheeler (The Sundays)

Oh hell yes. My number one. I keep waiting for them to make a triumphant return but it's been a while now and my hope is quickly fading.

I will add Dusty Springfield as my number three.

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #18 of 85
This is a tough one for me as I have a soft spot for female vocals...

A current favorite is definitely Rachael Yamagata. I heard her on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic a year and a half ago when her EP came out, and I just love her voice. I'm not sure words can describe it... so rich and full of texture.

Another favorite would be Tori Amos. She gets a lot of press because she's a little, how shall we say... off. And she's got chops with the piano for sure. But I think her vocal work doesn't get the credit it deserves. And I'm a huge fan of her use of breathing.

And I have to round the list of three out with Dominique Durand of Ivy and Paco. I just melt when I hear her voice. Hell, I'd pay to hear her read the phone book. I recently went on a road trip of about 7 hours solo and started with Realistic and worked right through In the Clear and almost could have started right back at the beginning.

Honorable Mention:
Beth Gibbons (Portishead) - Nothing needs to be said here.
Amy Lee (Evanescence) - I know... say what you want about their music or style, but the girl's got pipes.
Fiona Apple - A voice beyond her years.
Lori Carson - A hauntingly beautiful voice.
Maria Taylor - My favorite half of Azure Ray.
Nina Nastasia - Again, words can't describe it...
Patty Griffin - One of the most versatile voices I've ever heard... from delicate and fragile to raw and powerful.
Poe - I always thought it was just interesting 'til I saw her live and my opinion quickly went from interesting to amazing.
Sarah McLachlan - Good on her own... AMAZING when Camille Henderson's backing her up.

I told you I had a bit of a soft spot for them all!!! Sorry for rambling... but that was as short as I could make it!

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #19 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
And I'm a huge fan of her use of breathing.

Yeah, it is all about the breathing.
biggrin.gif

I never used to like red heads, but I have to admit that after seeing Tori Amos live that has definately changed.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #20 of 85
This is my thread! I love female voices
600smile.gif
!

Here is my top-three:
- Celine Dion
- Maria Carey
- Whitney Houston

(but the list is very long
biggrin.gif
)

I've never listened to Diana Krall, that seems to be liked a lot... I will look for some CDs
280smile.gif
!

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #21 of 85
Only three? OK, what I'll do is not list people others have already said, because Tori would be on the list...

Kate Bush
Toni Halliday (Curve)
Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins)

and just missing the cut would be Sinead O'Connor (really, listen to the vocals on The Lion and the Cobra and Tracey Thorn (Everything but the Girl), and maybe... no, no, I'll stop.

tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #22 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
Only three? OK, what I'll do is not list people others have already said, because Tori would be on the list...

Kate Bush
Toni Halliday (Curve)
Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins)

and just missing the cut would be Sinead O'Connor (really, listen to the vocals on The Lion and the Cobra and Tracey Thorn (Everything but the Girl), and maybe... no, no, I'll stop.

tongue.gif

Don't know Toni Halliday. Otherwise, I think those are ALL outstanding picks, dude!

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #23 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne

like the ultimate band thread, three is just a guideline to keep people from amassing names. Even I used 4
icon10.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #24 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by kazoom
This is my thread! I love female voices
600smile.gif
!

Here is my top-three:
- Celine Dion
- Maria Carey
- Whitney Houston

Kazoom, it's funny that those are your top three, because when I first saw this topic I thought about replying like this: "I like all of the female vocalists: Whitney, Mariah, and Celine.
icon10.gif
"

Instead, I'll narrow down my options by choosing pop singers with new albums out: Mariah, Kelly Clarkson, and Joss Stone.

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #25 of 85
1) Bic Runga - lovely voice and lovely songs. Lovely
biggrin.gif

2) Julianne Reagan (All About Eve) - especially the early stuff from before 'Scarlet And Other Stories'), for example 'Martha's Harbour', 'Wild Hearted Woman', 'Another Door' etc. Although I still haven't forgiven her for doing a cover of a Cliff Richard song
biggrin.gif
!

3) Suzanne Vega

Honourable mentions for:

Janis Joplin
Norah Jones
Wendy James (anyone else remember Transvision Vamp?)
Sheryl Crow

Speaking of Janis Joplin, I only have one album, '18 Essential Songs' - would it be worth getting some other albums? For example, Amazon.co.uk has the box set 'Janis' that I've often heard people talking about. Are there other albums that I should look for?

Jun 9, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #26 of 85
Karen Carpenter
Eva Cassidy
Rie Fu

Carpenter fans should check out young Japanese singer/songwriter Rie Fu (whom I've pimped here a number of times before, but she's definitely worth pimping again
600smile.gif
). She's got a soothing yet powerful quality to her voice that evokes a bit of Karen Carpenter. I hear she sings a mean rendition of "Close To You" that brings tears to your eyes; but, unfortunately, she hasn't recorded any Carpenter songs to date. Here's something she has recorded though:

http://exe.psychoaktive.ws/01%20Life...20a%20Boat.mp3

Other female vocalists I like:

Norah Jones
Wax (Korean master...er mistress of the ballad)
Annie Lennox
O'Riordan of The Cranberries
Ute Lemper

Jun 9, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #27 of 85
Vocalists as opposed to song writers?

- Blossom Dearie
- Kim Deal
- Kate Bush

[It's tough to decide.]

Jun 9, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #28 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert
Kazoom, it's funny that those are your top three, because when I first saw this topic I thought about replying like this: "I like all of the female vocalists: Whitney, Mariah, and Celine.
icon10.gif
"

Yes Rempert, those are three angels
280smile.gif
!

About Norah Jones, when I first listened to her last cd with my normal speakers I found it boring... but with headphones it's all another thing! It's amazing
tongue.gif
!

Guys, you're writing a lot of names that I don't know... I must make me a culture
icon10.gif
!

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #29 of 85
  1. Harriet Wheeler (from "The Sundays")
  2. Suzanne Vega
  3. Dolores O'Riordan (from "The Cranberries". Some people hate her voice, but not me!)

Beth Gibbons from the "Portishead" albums has a beautiful voice but I've only heard one of her own albums. The same goes with Beth Hirsch; her voice sounds absolutely gorgeous on the "Moon Safari" album by Air, but I've yet to hear her own work. So many others too, but those three above are the best I could think of!

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #30 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
  1. Harriet Wheeler (from "The Sundays")
  2. Suzanne Vega
  3. Dolores O'Riordan (from "The Cranberries". Some people hate her voice, but not me!)

Good choices
smily_headphones1.gif
. I was thinking about putting Dolores on my 'honourable mentions' list, but for some reason didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back