Your three favourite Female Vocalists
Jun 8, 2005 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

Enverxis

Headphoneus Supremus
on the topic of Diana Krall and Jane Monheit in the other thread i decided to post this.

Who are your three female vocalists (from any genre)

mine - Candice Night (Blackmore's Night), Diana Krall and 3rd place would be a toss between Simone Simons (Epica) and Sabine Edelsbacher (Edenbridge) honestly couldnt choose.

Jun 8, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 85
Harriet Wheeler (The Sundays)
Karen Peris (The Innocence Mission)
Martina McBride

Jun 8, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 85
83.jpg

1)La Divina
2)La Divina
3)La Divina

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
83.jpg

1)La Divina
2)La Divina
3)La Divina

Since I don't know what either of them looks like, and don't speak Italian, is that a photo of Diana Krall or is it Jane Monheit?
600smile.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by pframe
Since I don't know what either of them looks like, and don't speak Italian, is that a photo of Diana Krall or is it Jane Monheit?
600smile.gif

It is "the divine" Maria Callas, late 1950's era photo.

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 85
Sarah Vaughan
Ewa Podles
Gladys Knight

DarkAngel -- Kidding. I figured some younger headfiers wouldn't recognize Miss Callas (great photo!).

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 85
1. Tori Amos
2. Liesje Sadonius
3. Alison Goldfrapp

Honourable mention go to Lou Rhodes and Alice Russell [for her amazing vox on QSO's first album].
cool.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 85
Jazz - Ella Fitzgerald. Yep I know she's middle of the road but she's just so great.

Pop - Karen Carpenter. Yep I know she's middle of the road but she's just so great.

Hmm I'm starting to see a trend...

Jun 9, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 85
Quote:

1)La Divina
2)La Divina
3)La Divina

DarkAngel, what are one or two essential Maria Callas recordings you would suggest?

Jun 9, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
DarkAngel, what are one or two essential Maria Callas recordings you would suggest?

I don't listen to full operas but instead get Callas aria collections, there are many collections out there plus good supply of used Cds at Amazon. EMI has been very good about remastering her catalog for best sound possible.

Most of her best work is in mono from 1950s but with solo vocal not too much of liability. I think the La Divina 3CD set is one of the very best and good place to start:

La Divina

Each CD from set also available seperately, and of course used is cheaper. If you belong to yourmusic.com they have a few good collections also, I probably have 30+ sets now.

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #15 of 85
Quote:

I don't listen to full operas but instead get Callas aria collections, there are many collections out there plus good supply of used Cds at Amazon. EMI has been very good about remastering her catalog for best sound possible.

Most of her best work is in mono from 1950s but with solo vocal not too much of liability. I think the La Divina 3CD set is one of the very best and good place to start:

La Divina

Each CD from set also available seperately, and of course used is cheaper. If you belong to yourmusic.com they have a few good collections also, I probably have 30+ sets now.

Great, thanks a lot. I'll try getting it off ebay, which has some single CDs from this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back