Your three favourite Female Vocalists
Jun 12, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #61 of 85
Margo Timmins (Cowboy Junkies)
Natalie Merchant (Jahn, I totally see your "evocative -> croak" journey, but I still enjoy her music)
Alison Krauss

Tons of great recommendations in this thread! Too bad we'll all be running the same ebay searches for a while.
biggrin.gif

I really like the Bic Runga MP3's I've heard and looking forward to hearing some CD's. Just before I got into headfi I received a Diana Krall CD as a thank-you from the local NPR fund drive. My wife and I promptly labelled it "Diana Krapp" and gave it to one of her girlfriends. Now I find myself very curious about the Live in Paris CD! Unfortunately I'll have returned the loaner MS-2 by then...

Jun 12, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #62 of 85
Collide rule!

on that note i thought i'd put picture of mine as i doubt many will know them

Simone Simons
simone1.jpg

Candice Night
Candice_Night_7_02_5.jpg

Sabine Edelsbacher
1092031122.jpg

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:39 AM Post #64 of 85
Katie Melua
Ella Fitzgerald
Norah Jones

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #65 of 85
beth gibbons
aimee mann
diana krall

as you can see, my musical tastes are quite varied..
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #66 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Bunny, Amazon has a diff cover- is there more than one EMI CD of this recording? I don't want to get a badly recorded copy-

jahn,

dont worry - (for classical music) i've found that more often than not, the differences between original and remastered versions are subtle at best and completely inaudible at worst.
eek.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #67 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
I think the the performances are probably the same. I don't know why the companies are always changing the covers, maybe to confuse people into purchasing the same works more than once? The trick is to check all of the dates and to then try and get the best remaster of the original. My copy which is a lot older, doesn't have the inset of the original album nor a picture of Callas on it; but it still is amazing.

Here's what a reviewer at Amazon has to say:

In some territories, the copyright on the de Sabata "Tosca" has expired. Naxos, for example, has reissued it (a vinyl transfer) at a bargain basement price. EMI launched the Historic series to compete with Naxos.

The EMI Historic "Tosca" uses the same remaster as the GROC edition.

Jeffery

Jun 13, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #68 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferyK
In some territories, the copyright on the de Sabata "Tosca" has expired. Naxos, for example, has reissued it (a vinyl transfer) at a bargain basement price. EMI launched the Historic series to compete with Naxos.

The EMI Historic "Tosca" uses the same remaster as the GROC edition.

Jeffery

I can't resist, i just bought this Tosca recording. I'm ready for my operatic close-up!

Jun 13, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #69 of 85
Maria Callas
Margo Timmins
Alison Krauss

Very close runners-up:
Maria McKee
Aimee Mann
Norah Jones

The second three I like very much, but perhaps more on their styling rather than any technical proficiency. I guess.... I dunno. I like it in a big way when I hear them sing.

Jun 13, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #70 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu
Bjork
KaRIN (Collide)
The girl from Evanescense

Anyone with similar taste, please tell me
blink.gif

That's Amy Lee BTW...
Almost every one listed on this thread is pretty awesome and worth a sample listen if you haven't heard of them

Jun 13, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #71 of 85
Diana Krall
Norah Jones
Jane Monheit..... I'm seeing her live on august 8th. 2 rows back, front and center. Not ideal for acoustics, but I wouldn't want to miss the view.

Jun 13, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #72 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I can't resist, i just bought this Tosca recording. I'm ready for my operatic close-up!

I don't think there is a DEFINITIVE "Tosca" recording, but the first Callas studio "Tosca" is definitely worth picking up at EMI's budget price.

EMI has reissued a couple of the early Callas complete recordings in this series, and they're all worth hearing, IMHO, especially the "Lucia."

Jeffery

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #73 of 85
In Order...

Maria Mckee

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #74 of 85
In Order...

Maria Mckee
Heather Nova
Kate Bush

and an honourable mention to my wife's Fave... Tori Amos

Oh and I'm not even gonna try and justify my choices..
tongue.gif

Erm.. sorry it appears i kind of post and a half-ed.. strangeness abounds
confused.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #75 of 85
Here are mine:

1. Diana Krall
2. Jane Monheit
3. Norah Jones

Rounding out the top 10:

4. Karen Carpenter
5. Eva Cassidy
6. Loreena McKennitt