Your Thoughts....
Jan 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jepardo

New Head-Fier
I am new to this site, but I've been researching phones for a couple of months.  I want to spend in the $100 to $150 range and have it down to two (unless someone can convince me otherwise).

Which would you choose:  Grado SR80i or Audio-Technica ATH-M50

I will wear these pretty much everywhere (home, office, traveling).  From what I've read the Grados have superb range, but they have massive leakage.  That's what led me to the ATH-M50s.  Their closed-back design lead me to believe they are better about leakage, but I'm not as sold on their sound quality like I am the Grados.  What are your takes?  I'll be wearing these for several hours at work everyday, so comfort also plays a big role.  I listen to just about every genre under the sun ranging from acapella to Otis Redding to Ray LaMontagne to Radiohead.  I want to avoid phones with sharp highs if I can.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 24
ATH-M50 has good amount of bass that serves basshead right. While Grado has very little bass. ATH-M50 has recessed mids while Grado has good mids(not receccsed or forward). Starting from somewhere at upper mids, Grados has bright presentation while ATH-M50 has rather boring sound. Grados has spacious soundstage. When it comes to isolation, ATH-M50 takes the bite. Grado has NO isolation at all. Therefore, ATH-M50 are best for portable :)

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 24
That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I may end up buying the Grados in the near future, but it appears that the M50s are my best option right now given their isolation and portability. I realize that I'm probably sacrificing overall sound quality, but I don't believe the person sitting next to me in the office/plane would appreciate me purchasing the Grados. Thanks for everyone's input.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 24
That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I may end up buying the Grados in the near future, but it appears that the M50s are my best option right now given their isolation and portability. I realize that I'm probably sacrificing overall sound quality, but I don't believe the person sitting next to me in the office/plane would appreciate me purchasing the Grados. Thanks for everyone's input.

Yep! Get those ATH-M50 first, then upgrade to Grados later. Smart choice :) do note that not everyone like Grado sound, before purchase, you might like to audition it or read more reviews :)

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 24
I know you already have your mind set on two headphones, but around your price range is the DT770 80hm headphone by beyer. IMO they are leagues above the m50. The grados are pretty good but just not my kinda sound.

cheers

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 24
I'd say you should go for the beyers. They also scale fairly well if you want to get more into this hobby and get an amp/dac. They are a bit bulky on the other hand

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #12 of 24
My heart is telling me get the DT770s but my wallet is telling me to go for the M50s. The $60-$70 price jump is a bit much I believe for my first set. I have a bad habit of always wanting to change, or wanting an option, so I would rather buy both the M50s and the SR80s to start off instead of placing all of my eggs in one basket (so to speak). Thanks for everyone's insight! You've really made me feel more comfortable with my decision. I'll check back in a couple of weeks to let you know if I have any regrets.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #13 of 24
I think only few people are comfortable with making their first puchase when they have been asking on head-fi. Actually, I think they can be even more confused :D

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #14 of 24
Consider all your environments when choosing a closed or iem. There may be times when you need to hear your surroundings for safety or important interactions of an audible nature. An open will give you that. I'd say to get a hp based on the most usable qualities that work in your lifestyle and then work toward a can for every environment. I have four different types of headphones for those environments I encounter.

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #15 of 24
Consider all your environments when choosing a closed or iem. There may be times when you need to hear your surroundings for safety or important interactions of an audible nature. An open will give you that. I'd say to get a hp based on the most usable qualities that work in your lifestyle and then work toward a can for every environment. I have four different types of headphones for those environments I encounter.

I completely agree. That's another reason why I'd rather get both the HD50s and SR80s. I believe the Grados will be perfect for those evenings when I'm relaxing at home. The HD50s will be better for when I'm at work or on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back