Your Thoughts: The Best Elvis Costello Album?
May 2, 2005 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought this might be an interesting thread to create. With most artists, there is a fairly clear consensus as to what their best album is, with maybe one or two others that a few might choose instead. Amongst fans of Mr. McManus however, there seems to be much disagreement as to which is the best, or even which would be in places 2-3-4 and 5.
The thought was triggered when I went to the store to purchase the newly (Tuesday) released remastered, "King of America" and had a discussion about this very topic with another of his fans. And by the way, the Rhino, expanded, remastered re-releases are really well worth grabbing up.
At any rate which of his works would you personally rate as best? And, yes, I understand if you insist on listing a couple, or even a few you cant choose between. I have the same problem myself.

JC

Team Moth, Team Raptor, Team PS-1, and now, Team Ramen

May 2, 2005 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 16
Armed Forces and Get Happy are 2 of my personal favorites.This Years Model and Imperial Bedroom are also very good.Its a tough call.

May 2, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 16
it's tough, because six of his first seven studio albums are arguably masterpieces ("almost blue" just doesn't do it for me). what's great is that he's got an album for every phase of my life so far.

in high school, my favorites were undoubtedly My Aim is True and This Year's Model.

in college, it became Get Happy!! and Blood and Chocolate.

after college, it was Imperial Bedroom.

now, i think the edge goes to Trust, because i think it's got the best elements of all the aforementioned albums while still being "unified," the production is excellent and there's not a weak track on it.

i'd probably give a close second to Imperial Bedroom and This Year's Model.

May 2, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 16
Boy that's a tough one.

I would say best song writing would be a tie between 'this years model" and "imperial bedroom"

Best angry Elvis would be "armed forces"

Most tuneful would be "get happy"

If I had to make a desert island one album only pick it would be "armed forces" though. It's my most played EC album...... Though according to my ipod, I have been playing "spike" a lot. An under appreciated album by the way

May 2, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 16
It's a toss up between My Aim Is True and This Year's Model. Both of them have passed the test of time with me. I know that Markl is a big EC fan as well, and it's interesting to see that he's also picked This Year's Model. My guess is that it has something to do with your point of exposure, and for me, that was from day one. I've got all (or nearly all) of his studio albulms and some concert bootlegs as well. He's done a lot of great things, but I still remember when that voice and style first hit me!

His name is MacManus, by the way, not McManus. From my understanding, the Mac's were Scotish and the Mc's were Irish, but I could be wrong about that. In any case, he has never invited me to any parties. Maybe he's not much of a host...

May 2, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 16
P.S. The Rhino 2CD versions of all these albums are the best he's ever sounded on CD...

May 2, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 16
Close call, but another vote for "Armed Forces" -- EC's full-frontal assault. Came out when I was young and angry myself. I do still listen to all the others mentioned previously; even "Trust" gets a semi-regular spin -- lots of fun, that one.

Cool thread, Nightfall.

May 3, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 16
Imperial Bedroom.

However, My Aim Is True, This Year's Model, Armed Forces, and Get Happy are also essential, so the question is moot.

May 3, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
P.S. The Rhino 2CD versions of all these albums are the best he's ever sounded on CD...

Seconded. They sound great, and with the additional tracks, are a required purchase for fans.

JC

May 3, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #13 of 16
I've got to go with the original and best - My Aim is True. Though I must admit, I've got a fondness for a couple of others - Imperial Bedroom has become a favorite, and I use it as one of my reference CD's. Of course, Punch the Clock takes me back to my carefree college days...nothing does it quite like "Everyday I Write the Book". Well, there is always "The Mystery Dance"
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm reminded of seeing him in concert at MSU in East Lansing back around about 1989 or so. He was solo...NO ATTRACTIONS!! I thought it was going to suck, but he is so talented that he carried it off without a hitch. Turned out to be one of the best shows I've ever seen.

May 3, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I've got to go with the original and best - My Aim is True. Though I must admit, I've got a fondness for a couple of others - Imperial Bedroom has become a favorite, and I use it as one of my reference CD's. Of course, Punch the Clock takes me back to my carefree college days...nothing does it quite like "Everyday I Write the Book". Well, there is always "The Mystery Dance"
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm reminded of seeing him in concert at MSU in East Lansing back around about 1989 or so. He was solo...NO ATTRACTIONS!! I thought it was going to suck, but he is so talented that he carried it off without a hitch. Turned out to be one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Boy it's a small world. I went to MSU(i'm from Flint) and went to that same show I think. EC truly rocked the house that night. My brother who had not really heard him before went with me and was converted. I think he spent about $80 on his music the next day.

May 3, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 16
I think "This Year's Model," but I also love "King of America." I think it's his most underrated album. You almost never hear it mentioned in these discussions, but it blows me away every time I hear it--musically, lyrically, emotionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back