Your thoughts on "new" but previously worn cans...
Feb 23, 2010 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Ear Damage

100+ Head-Fier
As you all well know most reputable e-tailers have a gracious return policy but with strict guidelines on the returning condition of the cans. However, when I pay the "new" price I expect the only thing that touched my cans was the latex covered hand of inspector #5! Maybe I'm anally retentive, but I do not want Billy Bob's dried up sweat on the ear cushions touching my skin. What are your thoughts?

a pic of double taping, the first one was cut already
4382403265_df0c43955c_o.jpg

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 32
I would not purchase items from a store that resells returned merchandise as new.
Where did you purchase your phone?

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are they supposed to do? throw them away if they are returned? as long as they work properly and look new, clean them. scratches, dents, etc. are another story...

They aren't supposed to throw them away. They're supposed to sell them as B-Stock or "Opened" items so that the buyer is aware that they are not getting a brand new sealed item.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 32
I'm exactly the same. When I buy 'new' I want to receive 100% untouched brand new merchandise.
I pay for new and therefore want new. Picky? Perhaps. But that's me... I'm a unique snowflake.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 32
i have no problem buying previously opened and used gear, provided they list it as such!

it is a rather tacky practice to sell used gear as new. it is dishonest, and the ONLY reason a company would do it, would be to purposely deceive customers - there is no other logic behind the practice

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have no problem buying previously opened and used gear, provided they list it as such!

it is a rather tacky practice to sell used gear as new. it is dishonest, and the ONLY reason a company would do it, would be to purposely deceive customers - there is no other logic behind the practice

Agree on all points. Doesn't even have to be a deep discount if the item's still 99% new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobLikesBrunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stop it with your blatant materialism.

Audiophiles are probably the least likely demographic to shave their heads and don simple robes
smile_phones.gif

Except, of course, for participants in this thread.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 32
I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD595's from Amazon. When I opened the box up i noticed the miniplug connector was already connected instead of being in its designated position inside the packaging. Upon further inspection I noticed that there was a small amount of lint on the ear pads, the box was re-taped and the little tab had already been pulled a few times. Even though the phones still had a really new smell to them, i was pretty pissed to learn that I bought returned goods at full price. I think the reason they sent used headphones was because I ordered them with Next Day Shipping. They probably sent me the only pair that was capable of making it to me on time. Since the phones sound so good im willing to let this incident go. However, I just ordered a Cowon S9 from the store only with 2 day shipping. If i see the smallest sign of a previous return, its going straight back.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony6225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a lot of words

If you ordered from Amazon, I think you should go ahead and send an email to their customer service. Just be friendly and tell them how you feel regarding that. Amazon's CS is spectacular from my experiences. At worst, they'll just say thanks for your comments or not reply. On the other hand, you may end up with a gift card or something.

And actually, not just Amazon either. If you order anything new from anyone and it is obvious it's been opened/used before, contact the seller, even if you don't want to go through the trouble of sending it back.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 32
How do you know the item was a return? How do you know that the factory didn't accidentally leave out the manuals for a series of production, then cut the tape to put manuals in? How do you know the retailer didn't open the box to ensure that everything was inside? What if the retailer plugged the cans in for a minute - unworn - to make sure he wasn't selling a dud pair that would be returned?

As for wearing headphones someone else has used, you're being too sensitive.

My headphones have probably been worn by a couple hundred people by now. I put them out at meets for everyone to try. I give them a quick wipe afterwards and everything has been fine. Everyone has treated my gear well and I don't have any skin lesions or anything picked up from other people.

Don't worry about it.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gknix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone mentioned above, they should at least mention it.

However, being picky myself, if I get over the fact that it still works 100%...and it looks/smells like brand new...forget it! It's just. These are all just mental barriers in our head that prevents us from achieving the perfection status of a new pair of headphones..

See, I love buying used, because I know that I'm getting a good deal... New equipment rarely makes sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back