Your thoughts on interconnects.
Jul 24, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 26
My take on IC's is that it should be shielded and well made. All that exotic stuff is just marketing hype. I have a hard time telling each one apart. I suggest making one yourself or having a DIYer make one for you. Its way cheaper. The $25 Magwires is also on top of my list.

Aug 3, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
My take on IC's is that it should be shielded and well made. All that exotic stuff is just marketing hype. I have a hard time telling each one apart. I suggest making one yourself or having a DIYer make one for you. Its way cheaper. The $25 Magwires is also on top of my list.

You finally see the light.
I remember you were constantly arguing with me saying interconnects make a huge difference :p

Aug 3, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #18 of 26
I have tried several different interconnects and I believe that they can make a significant difference in sound quality. I have been very pleased with Ted's Earcandy Cables. They're not cheap but they're not "exotically" expensive. They are definitely made to last. Check them out, I doubt that you would be disappointed...

http://www.thecablepro.com/
plainface.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctn
You finally see the light.
I remember you were constantly arguing with me saying interconnects make a huge difference :p

Yep
tongue.gif
. I remember arguing with you about the 590s and audigy's but never on the interconnects.... although I might be mistaken
biggrin.gif
I have always been on the "I think I can hear some difference, but im not entirely sure" side when it comes to interconnects.

Edit: I remember now, we were arguing about speakers vs. headphones for PC gaming
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Yep
tongue.gif
. I remember arguing with you about the 590s and audigy's but never on the interconnects.... although I might be mistaken
biggrin.gif
I have always been on the "I think I can hear some difference, but im not entirely sure" side when it comes to interconnects.

Edit: I remember now, we were arguing about speakers vs. headphones for PC gaming
biggrin.gif

Yeah that too hehe. I might of confused you with someone else hehe.
At least now another person agrees with me
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
A trio of friends and myself did a little electrical experiment on that. The results were astonishing. First we ran a fifteen foot length of kite string. attached to two tin cans. Pulled taunt and then talked through. GOOD results. Than we did the same thing only useing one gage copper wire brad. Pulled taunt and then talked through. BAD results and a couple of backachs. So that would suggest cheap thin interconnect cables would work well.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

and tortie, the magwires* brought nothing to my system, nor took anything away - truly, the sign of a great interconnect!

* i use the magwire nakeds, and contrary to what you may think, i did not buy them because of their name.
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 5, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #23 of 26
I lastly had chance to hear for a week 4 IC (including the new Grover SR ) other then my 1' choice ( the Jenving supra dac IC ).
Those were around 100-150$ .

All had some strenghts but also showed some limits .

I'd invest some more $ only in some very detailed IC , given the fact Jenving 150$ 0.75mt costed 150$ and the others aren't really up to them for naturality , transparency and (amazingly high level of ) details .. and they don't sound sibiling around any frqs.
(what i can hear)

Aug 5, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #24 of 26
interconnects make big difference IMO. they do change the sound of your system so i think its a good idea to get decent or good ICs for any system.

FYI i like my headphile xrs cables a lot. they are cheaper yet sound better than the dimarzio m-path and zu gede IMO, maybe its because of the silver...

Aug 5, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #25 of 26
I think interconnects do make a difference, but also, one same interconnect doesn't always make the same difference with all components. Different components with different damping factors and other technical features get affected differently by the resistance/capacitance/inductance of one same interconnect. Of course, this applies to the components on both ends of the interconnect. Overall synergy is the key.

Aug 10, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #26 of 26
The difference between radioshack and reasonably priced IC's is noticeable.
From then on to spot differences, numerous small modifications are needed right across the board before difference is apparent between very high end cables.
Anyone investing 500$ inc ables alone must have atleast a 20-30K setup to even think of getting such cables.
Until then, the cables in mid-fi are quite sufficient for a great listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back