Your Recent Music Discoveries?
Mar 24, 2009 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Dublo7

1000+ Head-Fier
One of my joys in life is finding new music. I'm always on the hunt for good music and great albums.

So this is a thread for bands/artists you've recently discovered and have fallen in love with.

For me, it's going to be Johnny Cash (the American recordings, mainly) and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. I listened to Murder Ballads for the first time last night, and I can't even begin to describe how good this album is.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 22
Some what recently (alright, like 6 months ago) I discovered Jonas Hellborg and Shawn Lane. Over those months I have bought 7 Hellborg albums, and found a copy of Lane's Powers of Ten (very rare, usually on ebay around $50+). Thinking of ordering 2-3 more Hellborg cds off bardo records pretty soon, actually.

I also first listened to Michael lee Firkins recently. Very talented guitarist, extremely smooth on the fretboard. Can make it sound like he's playing a slide guitar just by the way he uses the whammy-bar and his picking style.

Finally a few weeks ago I first gave Ratatat a good listen. I had heard their song Seventeen Years a few years ago (actually I heard it on a skateboard video; skate more), but never really looked into them. Not a bad "band"; the music is very simple, and very expected, but it's also really fun to listen to. Haven't had a chance to pick up any of their albums yet but I intend on getting the self titled album and Classics as soon as possible.

Been a good few months
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 22
Drone ambient/drone doom, in particular artists like Nadja, Oren Ambarchi, Aidan Baker, etc. (Earth might be included here) Less abrasive than more black metal oriented acts like Sunn O))) etc., but more guitar oriented then their more purely ambient cousins.

Also, acts like William Baskinski and Eliane Radigue, more experimental artists focusing on creating repetitive, droning structures for calm listening.

Listen.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drone ambient/drone doom, in particular artists like Nadja, Oren Ambarchi, Aidan Baker, etc. (Earth might be included here) Less abrasive than more black metal oriented acts like Sunn O))) etc., but more guitar oriented then their more purely ambient cousins.

Also, acts like William Baskinski and Eliane Radigue, more experimental artists focusing on creating repetitive, droning structures for calm listening.

Listen.

This. I like. Try some stuff from Mono (a japanese band).

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 22
I have been getting into Nick Cave as well. Most of the other new stuff I have gotten into is debut albums and the such.

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 22
Ed Palermo Big Band - Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance

phenomenal album, and I can't wait for the new one coming in May! I'm very determined to catch a show by these guys this year. It would be amazing to see a show combining EPBB with Zappa Plays Zappa. I saw ZPZ for my birthday show in Burlington last year and I've never seen a better show. If only I could catch one of the rare shows with Vai, Keneally, Bozzio, and NM Brock...

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #9 of 22
Over the past three months, I have developed a profound obsession to Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds. Yeah they have been around for ages but I am listening to them like never before. It is a personal quest for me now to collect ALL Nick Cave/Seeds CDs and I am close to 70% completion. No one can put up emotions, rage, love and lament (and occasionally profanity) into songs like Nick Cave did.

OTOH, a very suprising discovery is Alison Krauss - few years ago I could not imagine myself listening to country/bluegrass stuffs.....I was from British Shoegazer/Indie, Metal & Industrial fan base. But other than Nick Cave, I found myself spinning Alison Krauss on daily basis!
tongue_smile.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #10 of 22
Welcome to the Nick Cave fold, new recruits.
smile.gif

Been a big fan since Murder Ballads came out though I must admit that from Nocturama and onwards his output has failed to enthuse me significantly.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #12 of 22
Believe it or not...Muse. I knew the band existed, but never took the time to listen to them until recently and...wow! The H.A.A.R.P. live concert dvd is the best live show I have seen in a long time.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #13 of 22
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

I'm not a huge fan of the banjo but I have to admit he's excellent. I was really drawn to them after hearing bassist Victor Wooten though, who is amazing.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 22
I recently discovered that music is gobbling up way too much of my disposable income. Does that count?
biggrin.gif

Not so much a discovery as expanded interest in: Brad Mehldau. I started with this two albums with Pat Metheny which are both quite good, and recently wandered into his trio and solo work. His album Places is terrific if you like jazz piano.

--Jerome

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 22
...And on the subject of Nick Cave, just received mail from Mute Mailorder;
First four Nick Cave albums are being reissued as remastered collectors editions. CD+DVD. The DVD features the albums in 5.1 + extras and documentary on each album.
Release is April 23rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back