Your opinion on the OPA2132 dual op amp
Sep 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Albinoni

500+ Head-Fier
I might be buying a CMOY headphone amp that uses the OPA2132 dual op amp chip from Burr Brown/TI. Whats your view or opinion on this chip and how would you compare it to the 2227 chip. Is this a nice sounding Op amp.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 6
If you're a bass head then the 2227 is for you. Otherwise, in a cmoy design, the differences are faint.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're a bass head then the 2227 is for you. Otherwise, in a cmoy design, the differences are faint.

I dont mind a bit of bass but not too overpowering, rather have balanced clean sound.

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 6
OPA2132 is a low-noise, low-distortion opamp with a high slew-rate (fast).
It has a wide bandwidth, high voltage gain and an operating voltage range of 5-36vdc.
It is unity-gain stable and is also stable with greatly varying loads. .

It sounds good in a variety of audio circuit applications, with no overemphasis or exaggeration of any part of the audio spectrum.

IMO, a very good overall DIY audio circuit workhorse. I would consider it to be better balanced and a bit more neutral over the audio frequency band than the OPA2227, which has a slightly warmer signature to the bass and mid-bass.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 6
the big differnces come from how the output and load interact
Vsupply and headphone load impedance and sensitivity can impose requirements that simple single op amp circuits don't do well - certainly not older DIP op amps

so until you state what cans are to be used with what supply V its hard to tell if opa2132 or something esle is more appropriate

its often the case that generic op amps running from low battery Voltages are worse than just using the (purpose designed low V, high current output op amp) output of an iPod

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the big differnces come from how the output and load interact
Vsupply and headphone load impedance and sensitivity can impose requirements that simple single op amp circuits don't do well - certainly not older DIP op amps

so until you state what cans are to be used with what supply V its hard to tell if opa2132 or something esle is more appropriate

its often the case that generic op amps running from low battery Voltages are worse than just using the (purpose designed low V, high current output op amp) output of an iPod

The cans that I will be using will mainly be AKG's and Audio Technica, I prob wont use the PX100's as I rarely use these headphones. Also might and planning to get a pair of Ultimate ears Super Fi 4.

If your talking about Ipod as in Apple Ipod than NO, my players are Creative Zen, Cowon and Sansa Fuze, sorry I am not an Ipod person, thats just my own personal taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back