Your opinion on Grado SR325is vs. RS1i?
Feb 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #16 of 21
is there a model in the line that will be a good addition?

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
Given what you have, start with the MS2 or MS Pro.  It makes more sense to go with Grado's cousin Alessandro than back down the Grado product ladder.

Where do I get those?

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #19 of 21
You can buy them from Alessandro - http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones

Personally if I was adding onto an RS series (note that I have not heard the RS series, I've heard all of the Prestige Models and the GS), I'd get the GS-1000. It's certainly "different" in both presentation and signature (it has this nifty thing called "soundstage"), while still being a Grado. It's also more comfortable than all of the on-ear Grado cans. From what I understand about the RS line, and from experience with the Prestige/GS, there is no benefit at all to going "down" the Grado line; it's like dropping from an HD 598 to an HD 518 - there's no point to that. It isn't like HD 650 v HD 595. 

If you really want to screw around with a cheaper model, try the comfy pads on what you have now, and then imagine it worse than that. And with the SR-325, add in some extra harshness (I apologize to any 325 fans, but they're probably the harshest headphone I've ever heard, that's still "good"). 

Quote:
Where do I get those?

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #20 of 21
I got the RS1i because I really loved the sound when I heard it at a meet. It makes sense not to go down the line. I have the HD650 & HD598. The HD650 is far better so the HD598 doesn't get much use.

Is the PS500 good? So the GS1000 is a good choice for another Grado flavor?

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #21 of 21

No idea about the PS series, been curious about them myself (if you do get one of them, let us know how it turns out - I've read that the PS-1000 is very heavy, but never found numbers; I recall the GS-1000 being comfortable). I think the GS-1000 is probably the best bet here; it's a departure from conventional "Grado sound" due to being circumaural and having bigger driver housings, while still sounding like a Grado. I will qualify that I think it's overpriced ($1000 is just nutty imho), but I do very much like how it sounds (cost aside and basically standing by itself - when you start to consider the plethora of other options though, it just doesn't make sense (at least to me)). 

Dug up some reviews you might find helpful:
http://www.headfonia.com/grado-rs1-and-alessandro-ms-pro/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/153453/rs-1-vs-ms-pro-a-comparative-review

From this, the MS-Pro (which is less expensive than the GS-1000) might be "different enough" for you, but I don't know (I've never heard an Alessandro).

Quote:
I got the RS1i because I really loved the sound when I heard it at a meet. It makes sense not to go down the line. I have the HD650 & HD598. The HD650 is far better so the HD598 doesn't get much use.
Is the PS500 good? So the GS1000 is a good choice for another Grado flavor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back