Your nomination for best VALUE headphones around....
Oct 3, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Agree with Cool Torpedo, if you enjoy the Sennheiser sound, their top tier HD580/600/650 phones are great value in the greater scheme of things. However, people may feel the same way about certain Grado, Allesandro, AKG or Koss headphones. Again it boils down to the dreaded "personal taste". For me though, it would be my HD650. Hope to hear the HD600 sometime.

That's the point, "the great scheme of things". While some cheaper phones are undoubtedly great values, for the price of the HD600 (or HD580 if you get them) you're getting a close approach to high-end performance that would cost you a lot more on other brands. In fact I don't think (but maybe the DX-1000 if discontinued) the other phones Sherwood mentioned will reach used higher price tags than they have while in production. We'll see.

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the point, "the great scheme of things". While some cheaper phones are undoubtedly great values, for the price of the HD600 (or HD580 if you get them) you're getting a close approach to high-end performance that would cost you a lot more on other brands. In fact I don't think (but maybe the DX-1000 if discontinued) the other phones Sherwood mentioned will reach used higher price tags than they have while in production. We'll see.

I'm pretty sure the Ed. 9 will, but you're likely right about the O2, the more I think about it. Stax tend to depreciate, and many of the previous statement models have not increased in price. If anything, the Mk. 1s might end up being worth more than the o2.

Of course, this relies on the 'phones being utterly discontinued, and not replaced. That's usually a safer bet with ridiculously expensive 'phones.

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #35 of 49
sr80s get you so close for their price to the grado sound, that if you like it, there are few contestants.

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #37 of 49
Gotta back up the HD580. $150 for sound like this is incredible.

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best value for me, of all of the headphones that I've owned, would have to be:

R10
HE90
K1000

Honorable mention:
PS-1
HP-2
Qualia 010
L3000

Think I'm crazy? Consider this:

a) Each of these (top 3) headphones has appreciated significantly in value since I purchased them years ago. Were I so inclined, I could sell any one of them and make a substantial profit. Same is true of the PS-1 and HP-2, and I'd probably make some money on the Qualia 010 and L3000 as well, although not nearly as much as with the top 3 listed.

b) Each of these (top 3) headphones represents a true "end of the journey" in terms of any desire I might have to "upgrade". Thus, had I simply bought these 3 headphones from day one, there would have been no need for anything else.

Had I done this, I would have had what I regard as the 3 "best of class" headphones ever produced (dynamic, electrostatic, and the K1000 being in a class all by itself as 'ear speakers'), then enjoyed them for years on end, and eventually sell them at a profit (even after adjusting for inflation). No time wasted on inferior sound; no hassles or financial losses from entering and existing the upgrade market countless times; no stressing about, "if only I had X, Y or Z" because you would have all 3 from day one.

But of course that was then. Although I don't expect the market prices of these sorts of headphones to drop any day soon, I wouldn't expect them to rise that much further at this point either. No matter how good/desirable a pair of rare and discontinued headphones may be, there is a practical constraint on their market value, that being referent prices in the speaker world.

So I'm fairly sure, for example, that while a pair of R10's could at one point be purchased new for under $3k and may now sell for $6k, they will not likely sell for $9k or $12k any day soon, and probably not ever. That's what I meant by my "that was then" comment. In other words, I'm not suggesting that someone should run out and buy an R10, HE90, and K1000 today and expect them to keep appreciating substantially.

Yet, I do think there is a point in all of this. If you're new to the hobby and you can get out to a Head-Fi meet (especially the national meet), and do as much listening as possible, and walk away from the experience with a better understanding of what is possible. Then ask lots of targeted questions on the forum such that people will be in a position to understand what you're looking for (your sonic preferences, musical tastes, open or closed, full size or IEM, budget constraints, etc.), and then do more auditioning if possible, and as much reading as you can about the products that seem interesting to you.

All of those things are likely to help lead you down a more direct, and ultimately less expensive path, in terms of getting what you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, it most likely won't be the R10, HE90 or K1000. But wherever you stop along the upgrade path, the fewer things you buy and sell along the way, the better (at least for most people, although some people have a lot of fun with the "buy it to try it" approach and there's nothing wrong with that either if you can afford it).

You must have a great job. You have the best dynamic headphones ever created.

My pick would be the DT48 a or e model.

I'd rate these as ultra hi end, on par with the K1000, Q10, and other legends. Detail on par with the K1000, Q10. Maybe even better. Tonal accuracy and neutrality is amazing. Midrange comparable to the K1000, HP-2. Uncle Erik feels the midrange is better overall, but lacks the range with certain genres. Soundstage is the most coherent I heard. Clarity is incredible. Makes my SA5000 sound veiled. Seperation that desimates the 880s. And arguably the best for accustics. They make my other headphones seem like toys. All this for 300-400 new, or 75.00-200.00 used. The cheapest entry price to play with the big boys is a grand. The K1000. Considering the 48s cost less then half that used, their value for what you get is amazing.

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #41 of 49
I guess Sony MDR-82EX that comes with Sony NWZ-A8xx DAP is a candidate too, although I don't use it, you can't beat something that is free (at least when you want the DAP anyway).

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #43 of 49
got the ksc-75 for US$25, best bang

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #44 of 49
Stax SR-007

Imo you can't beat its performance for the money. Top notch sound and build quality!
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back