Your nomination for best VALUE headphones around....
Oct 3, 2008 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
So, what do you think in your minds are the best value headphones around?

I'll start off by nominating the Audio Technica AD700's

+ Can it's soundstage be beaten really?
+ Needs no amp (significantly adding to it's value for money as you don't have to factor in an amp)
+ Good for all kinds of music, however yes, it is bass light but that I've found this is highly dependent on the source.
+ Great for mixed use (music + gaming)

- All this for $100-120

crazy tbh.

Remember to factor in an amp when 'valueing' stuff as well, as amps don't magically appear in your collection for free! :p

As a note, I've tried a lot of other headphones but I'm too poor to own them
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 49
This probably wouldn't count, but I paid under $100 for my brand new K501 after it was discontinued. It simply outclassed all other headphones under $100, period.
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 49
The best value for me, of all of the headphones that I've owned, would have to be:

R10
HE90
K1000

Honorable mention:
PS-1
HP-2
Qualia 010
L3000

Think I'm crazy? Consider this:

a) Each of these (top 3) headphones has appreciated significantly in value since I purchased them years ago. Were I so inclined, I could sell any one of them and make a substantial profit. Same is true of the PS-1 and HP-2, and I'd probably make some money on the Qualia 010 and L3000 as well, although not nearly as much as with the top 3 listed.

b) Each of these (top 3) headphones represents a true "end of the journey" in terms of any desire I might have to "upgrade". Thus, had I simply bought these 3 headphones from day one, there would have been no need for anything else.

Had I done this, I would have had what I regard as the 3 "best of class" headphones ever produced (dynamic, electrostatic, and the K1000 being in a class all by itself as 'ear speakers'), then enjoyed them for years on end, and eventually sell them at a profit (even after adjusting for inflation). No time wasted on inferior sound; no hassles or financial losses from entering and existing the upgrade market countless times; no stressing about, "if only I had X, Y or Z" because you would have all 3 from day one.

But of course that was then. Although I don't expect the market prices of these sorts of headphones to drop any day soon, I wouldn't expect them to rise that much further at this point either. No matter how good/desirable a pair of rare and discontinued headphones may be, there is a practical constraint on their market value, that being referent prices in the speaker world.

So I'm fairly sure, for example, that while a pair of R10's could at one point be purchased new for under $3k and may now sell for $6k, they will not likely sell for $9k or $12k any day soon, and probably not ever. That's what I meant by my "that was then" comment. In other words, I'm not suggesting that someone should run out and buy an R10, HE90, and K1000 today and expect them to keep appreciating substantially.

Yet, I do think there is a point in all of this. If you're new to the hobby and you can get out to a Head-Fi meet (especially the national meet), and do as much listening as possible, and walk away from the experience with a better understanding of what is possible. Then ask lots of targeted questions on the forum such that people will be in a position to understand what you're looking for (your sonic preferences, musical tastes, open or closed, full size or IEM, budget constraints, etc.), and then do more auditioning if possible, and as much reading as you can about the products that seem interesting to you.

All of those things are likely to help lead you down a more direct, and ultimately less expensive path, in terms of getting what you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, it most likely won't be the R10, HE90 or K1000. But wherever you stop along the upgrade path, the fewer things you buy and sell along the way, the better (at least for most people, although some people have a lot of fun with the "buy it to try it" approach and there's nothing wrong with that either if you can afford it).

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 49
koss portapro... its not quite audiophile grade but it does what it does in any given situation. portable, easy on the wallet upgrade/replacement with a decent SQ improvement over stock phones/buds, pretty resilient and it wont glaringly show all the holes in less than stellar bitrates. darned comfortable too.

at its price point, best value for the price paid provided you're coming from stock.

regards,
asmd.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 49
Koss A250

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ Wmcmanus: But can't you say that for any electrostatic headphone for example, Stax, that their value doesn't drop much at all with time?

I can't say that I like the sound of any Stax headphones nearly as much as the HE90, nor can I say that their value increases substantially over time. So, no I can't say that about any Stax headphones that I know of. They all sound pretty good to me (especially the Omega II and 4070) but not anywhere near HE90, and why would I want something that goes down in value a little as opposed to going up in value a lot? Plus, no Stax headphones that I know of, other than the Omega II, would ever represent an "end of the journey" for me, so I'd still eventually have to sell and upgrade and thus would not be immune from that loss. Just my opinion.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 49
denon ah d1001! They cost less and, imho, out perform the hd-555s which are the only others ive heard from the list.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 49
DT 880'5s. Yea, they're not the cheapest can around, but the sound they are capable of producing used to make me think,"man, I WILL pay twice of the going price to hear my music so amazingly good again!" of course an amp is needed to get the best out of the DT880's, but imo getting amp is nothing when considering how beautiful music can be through these headphones.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 49
Alessandro Ms1

+ Easily available everywhere for the same price
+ Comfort is superb IMO, light, low clamping force
+ Sound quality is not much worser than my sr-225, and they cost a half
+ Don't need amplification

- They're quite genre-specific
- Lack soundstage

even in spite of those drawbacks...they're still the best value for money under 200/250$

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 49
[size=xx-small]My top two[/size]

Koss Sportapro/Portapro/KSC35/KSC75...
Etymotic ER4P/S/B

Assuming the term "value" implies a very high performance-to-price ratio, and that you are keeping them (not factoring in resale, and/or Wayne's logic not withstanding).

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 49
MY vote is for the 880 '05. I dont even amp them, and they sound amazing compared to my AD700.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 49
Yup; I'd vote for the MS-1 as well.

Mine only cost me $400.

.......after I had the MS-1 for a while; I just HAD to spring for MS2i!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back