YOUR musical genre
Oct 31, 2002 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

LobsterSan

MOT: kuboTEN
I was just curious as to what the dominant musical genre on head-fi was. Choose the ONE musical category you feel you identify most with. I feel like there are a lot of classical music buffs out there. We shall see which genre dominates the lives of heaphonophiles.

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to a poll conducted by markl specifically on hip-hop:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ght=genre+poll

I found it interesting there was only 1 hip-hop fanatic amongst us.

Oct 31, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 22
I'm a rocker, can't help it. theres moments for Jazz too tho, and soundtracks ofcourse.

Oct 31, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 22
Since I intern in the electronic music industry, that is what most of my music consists of. But aside from that, i listen to just about everything except rap, country, and very hard techno.

Nov 1, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 22
another electronic fan here. mostly of the psy/goa trance and various "harder/noiser" styles

and of course Carnatic (an indian classical style. mostly practiced in the southern parts of india.) - I spent 7-8yrs learning how to sing this properly
smily_headphones1.gif
(i'm still not very good)

Nov 1, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by bioxeed
another electronic fan here. mostly of the psy/goa trance and various "harder/noiser" styles

and of course Carnatic (an indian classical style. mostly practiced in the southern parts of india.) - I spent 7-8yrs learning how to sing this properly
smily_headphones1.gif
(i'm still not very good)

I'm the third electronic vote so far (or, I guess, the first
smily_headphones1.gif
). I'm more into IDM and ambient... a little minimalist never hurt me either.

That's cool that you are learning carcatic music. I have a friend who sings it fairly well, and she really impressed me with it. The modes that are used in carnatic music are pretty interesting. Do you use one of those droning box thingies? That is also pretty cool...

Nov 1, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
I'm the third electronic vote so far (or, I guess, the first
smily_headphones1.gif
). I'm more into IDM and ambient... a little minimalist never hurt me either.

That's cool that you are learning carcatic music. I have a friend who sings it fairly well, and she really impressed me with it. The modes that are used in carnatic music are pretty interesting. Do you use one of those droning box thingies? That is also pretty cool...

I used to learn when i was in school. stopped when i went to uni
frown.gif
still practice when i can. I have one of those little electronic droning boxes. not one of the older ones you had to keep going manually. the old ones are alot better imo. last a very long time (my teacher had a 20yr old one that worked great - still has i think). only prob is that your hands get tired after a while.. hehe

Nov 1, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 22
hmm...i'm very much into hip hop, but i also absolutely love all types of music, so i voted "hybrid." genres or labels don't mean anything to me. all i care about is if the music is good (and shouldn't everyone
biggrin.gif
?). very interesting link to the poll post lobster. however, i couldn't belive that people actually voted for "I actively dislike hip-hop and feel it may even be a negative influence on youth. Death to hip-hop!" i hate to say it (and i don't want to start any flames either
tongue.gif
), but i think these people have an ignorant view and knowledge of hip hop. OTOH, i was also delighted and surprised to find this in that post:

Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
also, has anybody ever heard razhel (spelling?) ? the guy who does the scratching/turntable with his mouth? everyone i know seems to have this great live mp3 of him and it still kills me everytime i hear him sing that song and do the beats to it at the same time..

i'm really surprised that someone else on this board knows of Rahzel. i beatbox also, and his style is pretty much mine. i can also somewhat do that singing and beatboxing at the same time. everyone must hear that track!!! all of you download: Rahzel - "if your mother only knew." definitely check out his beatboxing stuff also.

Nov 1, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by kin3tix

i'm really surprised that someone else on this board knows of Rahzel. i beatbox also, and his style is pretty much mine. i can also somewhat do that singing and beatboxing at the same time. everyone must hear that track!!! all of you download: Rahzel - "if your mother only knew." definitely check out his beatboxing stuff also.

You sound like my old roommate kinetix. He brought a Rahziel CD home one day and i was like... hey, that sounds like you! (he would walk around all day making weird noises with his mouth and he would draw strange looks in lab).

I distinctly remeber that "if your mother only knew" track... partly because of the lyrics
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 22
Spilt up the rock column! I voted hip-hop though in truth I listen to far more early 90's rock...

-classic rock-
-punk/emo-
-pop-
-heavy metal/death metal/nu-metal/rock-rap-
-hard rock/alternative rock/grunge-

Biggie.

Nov 1, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

i'm really surprised that someone else on this board knows of Rahzel

i'm not even a hip hop fan, and i've heard of him. so i'm guessing he's pretty well known.

i think the categories are all a bit too broad. btw, what genre does goth fall under?

i've never been too fond of musical classifications...

Nov 1, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 22
I've dropped everything to listen to LTJ Bukem lately.

Guess that puts me in "Electronic" (for dnb.)

Oh, I also listen to hip hop, trance, new age, and classical.

Nov 1, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 22
kinetix: rahzel is pretty neat, though i can't really listen to it for too long. i bet he'd be really cool live (although you'd probably get that effect by beat-boxing in the mirror)

i realize these categories are very broad, but i did this purposefully because i didn't want to put like 20 categories up and have the voting too spread out. i originally had planned separate categories for classic rock, goth, IDM, death metal, indie rock, and so on, but it seemed like it would spread the poll too thin. i guess i should addendum this and make it, your BROAD musical genre.

i would put goth in pop/rock. rock is really a huge category that has so many different niches, so it doesn't really surprise me that it is winning, i guess. i wish there were some way to make sub-categories.

no country fans? i guess country folk don't care about headphones too much...

Nov 1, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #15 of 22
This is a tough one, but...

Classical

I base this answer soley on the number of albums I have in each genre mentioned.

Pop/Rock would be second.

Country, bluegrass third.

Maybe I should have chosen Hybrid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back