YOUR musical genre
Nov 1, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #16 of 22
Rock seems to have become a very misused term, especially when it's hybridized with pop, as you presented it. Pop music can be any genre -- right now it's definitely not rock. Take disco, for example. Pop, but definitely not rock. If you had to put it in a real category, it'd probably be closest to electronic.

You could also make a case for R&B (real R&B, that is) being closer in genre to rock or jazz than to rap or the all-inclusive hip-hop. I feel the only reason it's often grouped that way is because the muscians tend(ed) to be black. Of course, most of what's now termed R&B is not R&B anyway. [Edit: All Music has a page on R&B that illustrates what I mean.]

I wonder if there's a musical genre evolution tree sort of thing out there anywhere. It'd be interesting to look at and probably help with categorizing things.

kerely

Nov 1, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #17 of 22
Ah, see, this is what I'm talking about: click the 'genealogic tree' link from the What is Progressive Rock? page. That has a detailed evolution of progressive rock. I wonder if there's something similar for music as a whole, or at least for the jazz/blues/rock evolution.

[Edit: Ah, here's more. All Music has lots of 'music maps' that, however, are not loading right now. But here are some rock music maps if they'll load for anyone.]

kerely

Nov 1, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 22
I thought lots of people know about Rahzel. I mean, he has been in music videos...
rolleyes.gif

Biggie.

Nov 1, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #20 of 22
Hi *Mr.* Lobster (That's what the *San* stands for, right?
tongue.gif
)
As much as I hate classifications, you just can't put POP and DEATH METAL under the same musical genre... it's like asking the same person to like both Brittney Spears and Cradle of Filth... I just don't think there is such match under the sun... even *regular/classic*(as opposed to *extreme/progressive/alternative*) rock is miles away from pop...
life is hard enough for having to chose only *one* genre
wink.gif
but for a Heavy Metal - Prog. rock - Jazz/Rock Fusion - Classical Head having to put his vote under *POP* - well, it almost physically hurts... Aghhhhhhhhh...
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #22 of 22
Blues a little more than Jazz. Symphonic, not opera, some country and some older rock like 60's & 70's Acid Rock and Country Rock like Skynyrd also get in there.

Mostly Blues, Jazz and BUFFETT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back