your most "used " album
Sep 12, 2007 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

superpiper

100+ Head-Fier
Before you lot say, "oh no not another list"

I have wondered into this forum looking for suggestions for new music (as some of you might) but lists such as "best ever!" "Unmissable!" are subjective and soon become tiresome.

May i suggest we each identify what our SINGLE most played/used/listened to album of our lives is, with a brief description of what it is, and why it is played so much.??

Your Particular most played album is not a subjective (ie an opinion) choice or chosen by whim so is not open to iterpretation. its simply a fact.

This also eliminates the hard (impossible) thinking one has to do in choosing "your favorite album"

But in describing why it is that is spends so much time between your ears
should give people a good idea of how the album might "taste" to them.

(and be fun to boot)

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 45
I'll start:

Artist: Marrilion
Album : Clutching at straws:
Genre : Prog Rock

Opinion:

I first listened to this album when my brother brought it home on a tape (1990?) i have had it on tape, LP, cd,mp3 and must have listened to it 100's of times. Even now its #1 on my ipod playlist

The songwring is fantastic, you can feel the pain both personel and public that fish feels during his writing and singing of the words. It feels too personel at times, almost like touching an open wound.
The Music is top noch, vibrant energetic and catchy.

It's an album i have never bored of and probably never will.

True genius

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 45
Sting - The Dream Of The Blue Turtles

This album changed my tastes drastically. Previously I listened to pretty much only 80's hair bands and some metal.

Sting's approach to composition combined with the jazz elements opened up a whole new world of sound for me.

I listened to this and the follow up album endlessly.

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 45
Jeff Buckley - Grace

I'm sure there are people who would call this their favorite album, and I can understand why. There's something in it for everyone. When Jeff's voice soars, you can feel the raw emotion in it. Very different from his recorded "live" performances as well, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on the listener.

It's also arguably the album where Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" was immortalized.

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 45
heya, a new angle!

for some of us 'most used by decade' would probably be easier to tell (i don't mean decade of publication, but of 'use'). anyway, mine is...

the waterboys: this is the sea

this is not an album, it's a spiritual experience, raw passion and power transcending the 80's instrumentation that haunts early waterboys' albums up to but excluding fisherman's blues.

mike scott, the waterboys' heart and soul, is the well-shaded gentleman in my avatar pic.

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 45
Oasis - 'What's the story (Morning Glory)'

I was a soldier in the britpop war, fighting for Oasis
wink.gif
I was listening to this album all the time and for some years it difined who I was.

Funny thing though, today i much prefer blur/Damon Albarn to Oasis/Gallagher stuff, so 'Morning Glory' will not continue to be the most used album I own, thats for sure.

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 45
GnR - Use Your Illusion II - so well used i have had to buy it twice now.

hard to explain why, i just always fall back onto it and zone out and reminisce(sic?)

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 45
The first six entries in this thread are all albums that I'd rate very highly so OP must be onto something here. For me to contribute, though, I have to guess because it could be one of twenty or thirty albums. What they have in common is that they "keep coming back", suddenly becoming very nearly as popular in my life as they were when first issued. On balance I'm going to nominate

Kate Bush, Never For Ever

I rate it below The Dreaming because it has less "snob appeal", but there's not a track on it that I would skip (not even "The Wedding List"!). This was her first "perfect" album and it's number 10 on my list of favourite ever albums.

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #13 of 45
Roger Waters - Amused to Death.

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Queen - A Night at the Opera

I can't even being to guess how many times I listened to that album (and still do). I just love it. It's that simple.

The guitar work on Death on Two Legs is just brilliant!

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 45
Michael Jackson - Off the Wall

I grew up with Michael. It came out the year before I was born. My formative years were spent grooving to "Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough", "Rock With You" and "Off the Wall".

Michael makes music that makes me incredibly happy. Maybe happy isn't the word but when I hear his music, well I just get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. Perhaps this is because it was also my dad's favourite album and because everytime I hear any music off of it, I smile and know that his spirit is with me always...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back