Your J-Pop Pearls?
Jan 26, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #32 of 33
A male singer that deserve more audience is Naotaro Moriyama (森山直太朗). He is one of the rare breed who doesn't engage in corny R&B. He sings with a silky high voice, and his writing are often melodically pleasing but rhythmically unconventional.

I find it strange that he's only released two full-lengths to date, instead he puts out strings of singles and EPs. Woe to the collector, and this possibly accounts for his relative obscurity outside Japan.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

No Albums older than 1996

Dude timeless came out like the other year... *walks to shelf to check* It came out last year lmao. Whatever. Don't get me wrong, I still love Yoshika. Too bad she probably won't be on the new m-flo album because of the new baby.

-m-flo pre "loves" stuff is great, especially if you like Yoshika(weird because she picked up during the "loves" era). Not knocking the new stuff, but the new stuff is more pop than R&B or hip hop. I think I like both equally. Listen to Intergalactic Collection, or disc 2 of inside WORKS BEST II

-i'm in love with Yui's music right now. She's my Japanese Michelle Branch. I wish she had some stage presence though. If you like her, you might like Rie Fu also. Rie Fu actually says m. branch is one of her influences. More mellow and acoustic than Yui. She's only got FROM ME TO YOU, but she should have a new record this summer.

-I was a fan of ZONE, so of course I'm into Maria and Takayo Ookoshi(sp?).

-If you're into dancehall or reggae(I never was into it), you'll probably like Minmi. I like Imagine a lot, but the tracks I like on there are on her WORKS BEST disc, so I just got that.

I've gotten into a lot of Japanese house and everything related recently. DJ Kawasaki, Daishi Dance, Makai, Jafrosax, etc. I know Clazziquai is really Korean, but since they're on avex, I feel they deserve mentioning. I'd say both their albums, and both their remix albums are all flawless. I don't feel a need to skip over any tracks. I'm really looking forward to what they do with m-flo.

I know you said no pop idols, but Utada is still a great artist, and deserves the acclaim she gets unlike those such as in my avatar lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back