Your J-Pop Pearls?
Mar 2, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #16 of 33
What's up fellow T-boarder? Well, you know the saying, different strokes for different folks. Shiina Ringo is actually my favorite artist of all, her voice is definitely a love/hate it thing, but you can't deny that the musicianship in Tokyo Jihen is rock solid. Same with Number Girl, I guess you don't like rougher vocals then, though it's hard to argue that Japan has EVER produced a band that was more intense and rhythmically precise then Number Girl.

Still, I never said that anyone would like any of the music that I listed, some people would be completely turned off by it. It was just a suggestion for those interested in Japanese music as to dispel the myth that all Japan offers musically are Taiko drums and Ayumi Hamasaki. That said, many of the artists that I listed have very rough hewn voices, that's why I stated that their sound was ferocious, they won't be doing any Marvin Gaye covers anytime soon that's for sure.

Catch you later,
Id

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #17 of 33
Hehe, I never thought anyone will mention Ging Nang Boyz at Head-Fi. Don't get me wrong, I love Kimi to boku no..., but it took me some serious effort to get passed the recording.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24
Haha, finally somebody mentions something Japanese other then "crappy" J-Pop music haha! Seriously, there are some absolutely amazing Japanese BANDS out there, but all anyone ever wants to seem to try out are plastic, manufactured idol pop records. Anyone even remotely interested in Japanese music oughtta at least try out Number Girl/Zazen Boys, Shiina Ringo/Tokyo Jihen, Acidman, Blankey Jet City/Sherbets/JUDE, UA/Ajico, Super Junky Monkey, Bleach, Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, Cocco, The Elephant Kashimashi, Bloodthirsty Butchers, Going Steady/Ging Nang Boyz heck even Spitz and Judy and Mary the list just goes on an on - just so that you can get the sense that there's more to Japan then just a bunch of technoed out Kylie Minogue rip offs. There's a lot of damn ferocious rock too!

Man I actually lost my Bleach CD... how I managed to live without Shiri I'll never know.

Catch you later,
Id

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #18 of 33
That record has got the longest name next to Blankey Jet's City's Shiawase no Kane ga Narihibiki Boku ha Tada Kanashii Furi wo suru, I mean seriously... Are they trying to outdo Sufjan Stevens? I agree that the recording for Kimi to boku no... really blows, reminds me of Guitar Wolf back when they would just press rec on a Sony walkman and play away. Still, it's one hell of a listen, and they have got to be the zaniest live band I've ever seen.

Catch you later,
Id

Mar 2, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #19 of 33
Well i kinda hoped this thread would go in a different direction a little bit but it seems there are mostly 2 stereotypes of listeners
confused.gif

The cheesy singer fans and the (indie)rock fans
confused.gif

I dont really get it because there is soo much good non-cheesy non-indie music of any genre right between those 2 stereotypes released in japan.
No offence on indie bands but for me indiebands are mostly a local "live" thing and i dont listen to much indie except on concerts. I like a good quality production and 95% of indie rockbands and even 50-70% of majorlabel rockbands just dont deliver that.

Idsynchrono_24: Most of those Bands are exactly what i didnt want to hear in this thread because these are wellknown to most people who are a little more serious than the usual anime fanboy since years.

Also i didnt mean to find out about someone who found the smallest rarest indie band that played in front of 10 people once in their lifetime and has a liferecording of that event and wants to praise them as the hottest thing
biggrin.gif

I'm more interested in good songwriting and a good production
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #21 of 33
Hmm, i.e. female singer-songwriters?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
Well i kinda hoped this thread would go in a different direction a little bit but it seems there are mostly 2 stereotypes of listeners
confused.gif

The cheesy singer fans and the (indie)rock fans
confused.gif

I dont really get it because there is soo much good non-cheesy non-indie music of any genre right between those 2 stereotypes released in japan.
No offence on indie bands but for me indiebands are mostly a local "live" thing and i dont listen to much indie except on concerts. I like a good quality production and 95% of indie rockbands and even 50-70% of majorlabel rockbands just dont deliver that.

Idsynchrono_24: Most of those Bands are exactly what i didnt want to hear in this thread because these are wellknown to most people who are a little more serious than the usual anime fanboy since years.

Also i didnt mean to find out about someone who found the smallest rarest indie band that played in front of 10 people once in their lifetime and has a liferecording of that event and wants to praise them as the hottest thing
biggrin.gif

I'm more interested in good songwriting and a good production
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #22 of 33
I like the Ulfuls.
-Dan

May 1, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachink
My current faves in the pop scene are

MISIA -Amazing voice :O I recommend "Kiss in the Sky"

AMAZING voice, i recommend the MARS & ROSES album

May 2, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachink
anyone into Japanese metal?

Yep...love it
smily_headphones1.gif

For more pop style music these come into mind
Reset
Love Pshydelico (very western style)
Mr Children
Southern All Stars
Hysteric Blue
Spitz

These are the only pop groups i can think of at the moment that arnt your typical anime singers.
Its actually quite hard to think of some bands that arnt your typical jpop cause theres just so much similarities between bands and singers but also diversity in j-music imo.

Also i know you dont want to but i have to list some visual kei bands
smily_headphones1.gif
. J-music isnt J-music without VK :p.
Syndrome
Sally
Jils
Neil

May 2, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #25 of 33
But, but... I like Ayumi Hamasaki.
tongue.gif

Is Globe acceptable? Please say it's OK, since I just got the Globe Decade box set.
icon10.gif

Somehow, Misia sounded better with a shop's demo DT990 '05 and RSA Raptor than with any of my headphones at home.
frown.gif

May 2, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #28 of 33
I love Hysteric Blue they're one of my favorite j-pop groups

too bad they're not a group anymore.....

Jan 25, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by pezzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep...love it
smily_headphones1.gif

For more pop style music these come into mind
Reset
Love Pshydelico (very western style)
Mr Children
Southern All Stars
Hysteric Blue
Spitz

These are the only pop groups i can think of at the moment that arnt your typical anime singers.
Its actually quite hard to think of some bands that arnt your typical jpop cause theres just so much similarities between bands and singers but also diversity in j-music imo.

Also i know you dont want to but i have to list some visual kei bands
smily_headphones1.gif
. J-music isnt J-music without VK :p.
Syndrome
Sally
Jils
Neil

Im a fan of Southern All Stars too
anyone seen their last concert? these guys just made a huge comeback!
I hope to see them live.

I hope all these old threads will still continue to live...
(yes, im aware im bumping old threads ... but these kinds of threads should be kept up top!)

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #30 of 33
Anyone into X Japan here?

The jpop singers I like won't be permitted by the OP. =[

Users who are viewing this thread

Back