Your IEM journey so far: What cured your upgrade-itis ?
Feb 13, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #17 of 29
Fischer Audio DBA-02.

The only logical upgrade to that is the JH-13 IMHO.

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #18 of 29
not so serious about music era (ages 0-21):
sony earbuds
iphone earbuds
more sony earbuds
CX 300 mk ii (broke after a while), bass quantity was revolutionary
sony z700s, crap, hurt my ears (probably fake as well)
iphone ear buds, very dissatisfied
koss portapros, heart my portapros, they died tho.

last year, i found head-fi (ages 22-current (23)):
grado 325is, loved these, hurt my ears after a long listen tho
fiio E7
earsonic sm3s, love these, still use them ~4-6 hrs a day
koss portapros 25th anni. ed. (for keepsakes)
cowon j3
hd650s, my current #1 full-sized headphones
fiio E9

the near future:
westone um56s
m50s
pico slim (?)

the distant future:
proper desktop amp (?)
custom IEMs (?)

soon after:
bankruptcy

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #19 of 29
Shure e3->triple-fi 10 then won a pair of Shure 420s.........eventually got JH13's but there was a fit issue that took four months to remedy, but it was only a fit remedy.....long story but finally five months after settling I have sent them back to try to fix the final problem that was driving me nuts.  Now i am waiting with the 420's and they are really horrible, my ears are so accustom to the JH13 sound.  The sq of the 13's is just wonderfully addictive and if i can ever get them right i could almost sell all my other phones and still survive.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #20 of 29
Full-Size
Sennheiser HD555

Portables
HD228 & ES7 (use both)

Earbuds
MX760 and MX580 (use both)

IEM
Skullcandy Smokin' buds (never used them more than twice) -> JVC Air Cushions/ Marshmallows -> RE0 / PL50 -> CK10 (now lost) -> Honestly i have no idea (I do have the NE700X but theyre somewhat uncomfortable)

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #21 of 29
Full Size - Shure SRH840

Earphones - Earsonics SM3 and Shure SE420 (w/ PtoS adapter)

I think I see customs in the future sometime, but probably not anytime too soon yet =O

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #22 of 29
There is no cure for upgrade-itis. Consult your doctor if any of the following occur: dizziness, ear-numbness, loss of friends due to refusal to remove headphones long enough to communicate, death...

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #23 of 29

Quote:
There is no cure for upgrade-itis. Consult your doctor if any of the following occur: dizziness, ear-numbness, loss of friends due to refusal to remove headphones long enough to communicate, death...

x2.. the only cure for upgrad-itis is when you become deaf 
happy_face1.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #25 of 29
What cured my upgrade-itis?

Plunking down $1000 on a whim for my soon-to-be custome Westone ES5s 
smily_headphones1.gif

...Also the fact that I just realized I have a tuition bill due this week, DOH! 
redface.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #26 of 29
there is no cure... only the next IEM... I think it ends with a collection of high end IEMs and at least 2 or 3 custom IEMs... I'm no where near that yet though... I'm still on universals...

lets see though... Stock headphones (usually sony... what ever came with walkmen/discmen) > Sony on head > Sony on ear clips > sony in ear hooks > iPod stock buds (for a short while) > Koss Sparkplugs (would have been SO much better without that blasted mute button!) > $40 sony earbuds > ATH-EC7 > ATH-CK7 > UE SuperFi 4 > Sennheiser IE6 (on reserve) > Panasonic HJE900 (current)

Do not want to think of my next one... I'll just stick with my HJE900s for the time being. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #27 of 29
Stock buds (Creative) > Audio Technica in-ears > Koss in-ears w/ foam tips > Sony Fontopia > Sony clip-ons > ATH in-ears again > CrossRoads MylarOne X3 > CrossRoads Bijou 3
Then I went away for exchange, and for six good months I loved nothing but my Bijou 3. 
I came back, continued loving them for another six months. Then I started an internship at a mag, and pitched the idea of an article on headphones... and my research was my undoing.

Shortly after that internship began, this happened:
Westone UM1 > Senn IE8
They were accompanied by a GoVibe Martini, and then a Linearossa W1. Both have been sold. 

I though the IE8 would be the end...but after 10 months' ownership, I can honestly say I see some of its shortcomings. When I bought my UM1, I thought the IE8 was the best I'd ever heard, overtaking even the W3 that I demo'd prior to owning the UM1. I now know that the colouration of the IE8 can be its undoing as well, and I am thinking it is time to return to more "neutral" roots (for headphones, I've gone through MS-1, Shure 440, DT231, DT880 and HD25-1. Thankfully still holding on to the last 2)...one day, I will own a JH13 or 16.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #28 of 29
The Shure SE530 kept me happy  for a couple of years, but the fit wasn't perfect.
though the sound was lively, it was also kind of brash, eventually I bit the bullet
and got customs, JH16's.....
They sound close to right to me, non-fatiguing, but with plenty of balls, ...and they
were a perfect fit, first time! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back