YOUR IDEAL HEADPHONE: What is yours if you could take one and tailor it to you?
Feb 19, 2014 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

grizzlybeast

My name is grizzlybeast and I'm an audioholic.

WHAT DOES YOUR IDEAL HEADPHONE LOOK AND SOUND LIKE?

I have been been around the corner and back. Not all the way up to Summit -FI but around enough for me to know that my ideal hp doesn't really exist right now or I haven't heard it. 

What is your ideal headphone if you can take one and customize it?

1. Has to exist now or at the time you post.
2. Try not to change too many things about it so that it still is the same headphone.
3. Try and say what genres you think it would be good for.
4. Or even if you could change somethings about one that is close to perfect for you

Example is the first post.
popcorn.gif

WHEN YOU SEE AN IDEA YOU LIKE THEN GIVE IT A THUMBS UP Who knows we may not have any power or say in the developement of headphones but something may catch wind even if its a drop in the bucket.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 97
Mine would be:

SENNHEISER HD650 BLACK
1. same build
2. bigger softer pads
3. gloss black with red accents on the chord and red plug
4. deeper bass extension at the same quantity but more control
5. slightly faster and more open but at the same impedance and scalability
6. EVERYTHING ELSE THE SAME

Genre master & ROCK king!

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 97
M-Audio Q40 with better highs extension (this thing starts rolling off steadily past 14kHz -_-:wink: and larger soundstaging (width in particular) and improved imaging.

Alternatively Shure SRH1540 with a touch more midbass presence + very slight boost at the highs

Alternatively Ultrasone Signature DJ without recessed mids (mids should be at the same level in average as the highs are in average)

Alternatively Fostex TH-900 with a lot more isolation and cheaper price. xD 

Genre: anything EDM.

But maybe I will get this in the newly launched Sennheiser HD8 DJ, I'm about to order one. AFAIK there's no "perfect" headphone for my taste either, have to compromise in some aspects and take the one that gets closest.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 97
My favourite headphone is the Stax SR507 of all I've heard. The bigger Stax's, Orpheous, high end Planars, I've heard them and you could argue are technically superior. But just on personal preference, I love Lambdas, and the 507 is the king lambda.

Change it? Give it the old style headband and be done.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 97
  Mine would be:

SENNHEISER HD650 BLACK
1. same build
2. bigger softer pads
3. gloss black with red accents on the chord and red plug
4. deeper bass extension at the same quantity but more control
5. slightly faster and more open but at the same impedance and scalability
6. EVERYTHING ELSE THE SAME

Genre master & ROCK king!

Sounds to me like you described the way my ears perceive the HD800.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 97
Sennheiser HD590 

-same build and pads
-updated sound (not that the sound is lacking)
-thicker cable
-still in production

or

Shure SRH1540
-better isolation

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 97

Sounds to me like you described the way my ears perceive the HD800.

I think the soundstage of the hd800 may be too big for me and the highs too bright. Only  reasons I shy away from it. I am dying to hear it though and colorware can make colors I want. 

^that is two for the 1540... I really wanted to buy that one but have other priorities. Maybe i will one day.

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 97
My Ideal headphone wouldn't be a headphone at all...it would beam the music straight into my brain.  Kinda exactly like when a tune keeps playing in your brain, and you hate this tune - but actually you love it, or else it wouldn't be playing.
biggrin.gif

This new 'headphone' will enable me to actually choose to stop this tune in my head! 
L3000.gif

And yes, it will sound like an improved HD650...that reminds me of a funny story, I was so excited about purchasing the D7000s, that I had a dream I had bought it.  In my dream it sounded exactly like my Cayin HA-01 paired with my HD650 and in my dream, I was so ecstatic with my upgrade.  Even though it sounded exactly the same as something I actually own in real life!!! 
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 97
  My Ideal headphone wouldn't be a headphone at all...it would beam the music straight into my brain.  Kinda exactly like when a tune keeps playing in your brain, and you hate this tune - but actually you love it, or else it wouldn't be playing.
biggrin.gif

This new 'headphone' will enable me to actually choose to stop this tune in my head! 
L3000.gif

And yes, it will sound like an improved HD650...that reminds me of a funny story, I was so excited about purchasing the D7000s, that I had a dream I had bought it.  In my dream it sounded exactly like my Cayin HA-01 paired with my HD650 and in my dream, I was so ecstatic with my upgrade.  Even though it sounded exactly the same as something I actually own in real life!!! 
confused_face_2.gif

I am jealous of your dreaming abilities... I wish I could listen to music in my dreams
floatsmile.png

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #13 of 97
  I think the soundstage of the hd800 may be too big for me and the highs too bright. Only  reasons I shy away from it. I am dying to hear it though and colorware can make colors I want. 

^that is two for the 1540... I really wanted to buy that one but have other priorities. Maybe i will one day.

I hope you do get it. I've packed up a couple of my headphones due to how great it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back