Your headphone/speaker listening environment?
Feb 9, 2007 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Advil

1000+ Head-Fier
Lately I've noticed that the environment in which you listen to music really has an effect on your experience. With headphones it obviously doesn't affect sound quality, but just your overall feeling while listening. For instance I hate when my desk is cluttered and messy when I listen. It makes me just feel cramped and uptight. I like my desk to be clean and my room to be fairly clean at least. As for lighting, I've only really sat down and listened with moderate to dim lighting, I've never tried having the windows open on a sunny day or and bright lighting. Although I would really like to try the former, or those daylight-ish bulbs you can buy.

So overall, I like a cozy yet spacious environment, with dim lighting. This is what makes me feel relaxed and concentrated on the music and nothing else. Although I haven't tried much else just yet. I'll try the lights off, or various brightness settings on my halogen lamp and such.

What about you?

Feb 9, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 16
yeah I'm getting to that conclusion too. Plus I can't concentrate on music during day time because I'm always thinking someone will interrupt me. It may sound weird but that's the way it is.

In terms of ambience I like it dark too... just letting the tubes light the room.
wink.gif

Oh, and no matter what I do I can't concentrate on music when I'm in front of my PC. Even with my eyes closed it's different sitting in front of the PC and sitting at another desk. That's why I try to listen to music away from my PC (using the cellphone to control it)

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 16
I agree, first noticed it with wine.
icon10.gif
The people I was with and my mood affected how well I liked or disliked the wine. Since I have thought that the environment you find yourself in as well as how you feel can make for a great session or a miserable one.
blink.gif

Thus do not make any decission on gear untill you are sure it truly was the gear nor what has been going on around you.

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoVibe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus I can't concentrate on music during day time because I'm always thinking someone will interrupt me. It may sound weird but that's the way it is.

The power coming out of the outlet at night is probably cleaner as well.

I tend to listen during late nights....very dim lighting or maybe completely in the dark with rather low volume.

Clothing optional, of course.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tend to listen during late nights....very dim lighting or maybe completely in the dark with rather low volume.

Clothing optional, of course.
biggrin.gif

I'm going to unsubscribe this thread right now!
rs1smile.gif

My reason for night listening is silence: I live in a busy street with lots of traffic and the fact that it is pretty steep makes cars even noisier...
Never noticed anything about better power at night. Then again, the installation on this house doesn't even have 'ground' so...
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 16
I was just thinking about listening environment as I was listing to Stereolab in a room lit only by tubes and my computer screen and decided to search Head-Fi to see if there were any threads about it.

I like listening in my comfy bed late at night. Pitch black or dim lighting is always good. You can just disappear into the music and let your imagination go wild. Also, anyone recommend any specific lamps or lighting to set the right listening mood?

Feb 12, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 16
I like it lying down with the lights just bright enough to see the ashtray for a mammoth doobie.

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like to listen with the lights dimmed, but I always end up falling asleep!

That happened to me for a while when I was tired and should go to sleep but couldn't before I listened to something. Somehow it didn't seem right. The result was falling asleep many times. Now I only listen to music when I'm not that tired, otherwise I'll just go to sleep.

However, this led to a very stange sort of listening experience... somewhere between sleeping and being awake... and when that happens things sound a lot sweeter... It's very strange but things sound different when you "kind-of-wake-up" than they did before you "kind-of-fell-asleep"
basshead.gif

Don't ask me to explain this better because I can't.
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 16
Late at night, dark, in bed, with only the blue LED of the darkvoice lighting the room, and everything has to be silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back