Your greatest audio experience..
Sep 16, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #16 of 106
--- Sitting in my father's Mercedes 300CE coupe circa 1991 when I was kid listening to Slayer's "Seasons In The Abyss" at full volume while he played golf.
--- Sifting through Megadeth, Metallica, Manowar, Maiden on my Panasonic walkman during the summers and winters between 1988-1992 in SW Florida.

None of my present day high-end gear can compete with that.

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #17 of 106
Most of the time there are other influences for that experience I think. Meaning I’ve had it many times in life, yet more intense than the typical audiophile spine tingling?

I once did a mountain temple climb where you start out early in the AM and arrive at a lower Hindu temple where a priest has been preparing; then pray then drink holy-water. The ions of the water are regrouped due to the Sanskrit harmonics spoken by the priest into the water which then due to their affinity regroup your own bodie’s water ions. The new vibrational frequency changes your mental state.

This same technique is mainly used in India with milk. At that point you keep climbing up the mountain and witness both the elderly and children struggling to make it, if not at all. Finally after seven or eight temples of the same process you then attempt the climb down while in the unique state. The 300 foot jagged cliffs your looking down off of add to the experience as well as all you can see are the top of clouds. :)

For about ten years I believed the water had some style of tea or something which induced the state. I’ve actually shook hands with priests after a long ceremony to have the same feeling later transferred to me. That’s when I realized the story of the holy water is just the vibrational form. These ideas are simply us living in a higher vibrational state, giving us a clarity of thought?

These ideas predate modern scientific descriptions by about 2000 years, yet maybe someday this phenomenon can be factually substantiated?

At this point it’s along the lines of subjective nonsense? Hah.
It becomes nonsense the moment you try to explain it with pseudo science. People feel something or don't, for reasons. That certainly does happen and I have no reason to expect that you don't remember feeling the way you describe. But the ions in the water... and some "vibrational" impact on the mental state... that's not coming as a result from your experience of climbing staires and drinking water. Also not from some dudes 2000 years ago who had no clue what ions were. And it's most certainly not coming from science.

I remember Benveniste experiments on water, and the saga of replication attempts after that. And also that other guy freezing samples while playing different songs. he got his 15mn of glory too. and of course the homeopathy industry is always somewhere in the shadow of those guys. Either pulling the strings, or all too happy to give a voice to someone providing an excuse for their very existence.

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #18 of 106
It becomes nonsense the moment you try to explain it with pseudo science. People feel something or don't, for reasons. That certainly does happen and I have no reason to expect that you don't remember feeling the way you describe. But the ions in the water... and some "vibrational" impact on the mental state... that's not coming as a result from your experience of climbing staires and drinking water. Also not from some dudes 2000 years ago who had no clue what ions were. And it's most certainly not coming from science.

I remember Benveniste experiments on water, and the saga of replication attempts after that. And also that other guy freezing samples while playing different songs. he got his 15mn of glory too. and of course the homeopathy industry is always somewhere in the shadow of those guys. Either pulling the strings, or all too happy to give a voice to someone providing an excuse for their very existence.
We are simply talking about subjective emotional experiences here? I’m not trying to prove anything, or disprove anything.

Cheers.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #19 of 106
When I was a kid, I smoked a whole lot of dope then put on Dark Side of the Moon...

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #20 of 106
We are simply talking about subjective emotional experiences here? I’m not trying to prove anything, or disprove anything.

Cheers.
That experience you had is one thing. Your explanation for it is an other entirely. I'm only challenging the latter of course.

When I was a kid, I smoked a whole lot of dope then put on Dark Side of the Moon...

Sep 17, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #21 of 106
Wilson Watt/Puppy 7s driven by a pair of Nagra VPA tube amps with Levinson Reference components as the front end. Bliss. 😌

Sep 19, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #22 of 106
I can think of four that stick out:

First time I heard my step-father’s new stereo.
First time I tried a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones (this was when headphones were not very common).
First time I heard a CD (using aforementioned stereo and headphones).
First time I measured my room response and smoothed out the bass among other things (I had a massive elevation in bass due to room modes from about 20 hz to 60 hz).

All really big qualitative leaps in terms of fidelity.
:)

Sep 19, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #23 of 106
I think if I had to pick my ultimate sound experience, it wouldn't be recorded music. It would be the immolation scene from Gotterdammerung. It was astounding to be sitting in one of the best seats in the hall with a 110 piece orchestra arrayed out in front of me and a choir, an incredible bass and a world class Brunnhilde on the stage behind the pit. The directionality of the sound was incredible, I could pick out the location of every sound. There was a fullness from the hall reverberation. The voices cut through perfectly. At the end, as the music softened they did something in the orchestra to change the acoustic and make it softer and more distant sounding. I've never experienced anything like that on record.

Sep 19, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #24 of 106
When I stopped listening to the shills, the idiots that spend hundreds on cables because they can hear a difference, all the other claims that fly in the face of physics and electrical engineering in general, and returned to buying cheap audio gear that measures well.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #25 of 106
I think if I had to pick my ultimate sound experience, it wouldn't be recorded music. It would be the immolation scene from Gotterdammerung. It was astounding to be sitting in one of the best seats in the hall with a 110 piece orchestra arrayed out in front of me and a choir, an incredible bass and a world class Brunnhilde on the stage behind the pit. The directionality of the sound was incredible, I could pick out the location of every sound. There was a fullness from the hall reverberation. The voices cut through perfectly. At the end, as the music softened they did something in the orchestra to change the acoustic and make it softer and more distant sounding. I've never experienced anything like that on record.
I can't agree more.

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #26 of 106
I spent the summer of 1979 at my grandparents home and they had a old component stereo with a 8-track player. It went largely ignored until one day I found a pair of headphones under the couch. The headphones had a short in the wires and you could only hear out of one earcup. I kept messing with the wires until I got both sides to work. I own thousands of dollars worth of headphones and sound equipment and I have never experienced what that old stereo and those headphones did. The 8-track was titled "Soul Hits of the Seventies" and had various artist on it. I will never forget listening to Barry White's "Cant Get Enough of Your Love". It truly felt like being in the room with the musicians. Unfortunately, I could no longer get the headphone to work after that day. Many a day I have wished I could go back in time with my Susvaras.

Jun 8, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #27 of 106
I lived through the 70s but I listened to the wrong music. I listened to art rock, but I should have been listening to soul, funk and disco.

Jun 11, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #28 of 106
Funny enough, the last time I saw Parsifal I closed my eyes and pretended I'm listening to hifi. The results were not encouraging: there was no soundstage to speak of, the bass was indistinct and muddy and the singers' voices were coarse and actually hurt my ears. Perhaps my seat was not the best in local opera house but then again it probably was far from the worst.

I wonder how things would sound in Bayreuth where the orchestra is completely hidden from the audience. I actually logged in the Bayreuth online ticket shop a couple of weeks ago when they started selling tickets. I resisted the urge to buy actual tickets for fear of not being able to travel because of Covid. But next year I'll be ready.

Jun 11, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #29 of 106
I’ve seen the Ring in Seattle and San Francisco. Seattle had a cowl over the orchestra simulating the Bayreuth sound. Both were amazing experiences.

Jun 12, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #30 of 106
I listen music and buy hifi since 1973,my first system at 13 age.
In 2011 i had a special system,all Audio tekne products,pre and amp tube,triode tube,11 watt with superpermalloy transformer,and one way speaker with box in carbon block and supertweeter ALE dep 1750
Was an incredible and very natural sound

Attachments

• foto_12.JPG
    foto_12.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 0
  • foto_08.JPG
    foto_08.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
  • foto_04.JPG
    foto_04.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread