Your first music purchase?
Oct 2, 2002 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

timoteus

500+ Head-Fier
What was the first LP or CD that you remember purchasing.

For me it was Sly & The Family Stone - Greatest Hits. It's so old it doesn't even have a date on it. My best guess is that I bought it in 1973.

I got it at a local TV repair and music store that just closed it's doors after being in business for 50 years. I got to go through thousands of tubes this summer before they liquidated. Didn't find much but it was fun anyways. What's your story?

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 55
Cd: Madonna: Erotica

Bought it at a music shop on Kings highway in Brooklyn, NY.

Oct 2, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 55
LP: Billy Joel "The Stranger", mid-seventies.

First conscious music purchase with my own money. Played that darn thing on a cheap, POS record player until the grooves were unreadable. Don't know what happend to that album. I have since repurchased it on CD of course, and am considering the SACD version.

Oct 2, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 55
Eagles - Hotel California
Boston - Boston
Aerosmith - Rocks
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle

...one of those, don't exactly remember which anymore, it was a long time ago.

Oct 2, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 55
Don't remeber my first LP but my very first CD i ever got was Olivia Newton John's Greatest Hits back around 1989 or so...by the way, i didn't like the album being that it contained mostly country music from Olivia's early carreer...I had no idea she was a country singer before her pop days...i also got my very first CD player (Sony Walkman) at the same time...

Oct 2, 2002 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 55
Peter Brown- Do you Wanna get Funky With me.

When I saw the cover with the half naked woman with the erect nipples I had to have it.I think I was 10 or 11 and my mother made me throw it away.

Oct 2, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 55
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the Movie Soundtrack.

The soundtrack for TMNT 2 is much better, in case you are curious. It has Ninja Rap, by Vanilla Ice himself. You should check it out.

Oct 2, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #9 of 55
`Ace of Base` tape sometime around '92. Damned if I know what album that was, but it had `All that she wants`
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 55
I think it was a 45, titled Bertha Butt Boogie. I have no idea who did it. My mother hated it. But she didn't make me throw it away. I think she encouraged my second purchase which was some Elton John album, Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy I think, in hope I would lose interest in Bertha Butt.

Oct 2, 2002 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 55
45 rpm single, "Unguarded Moment" by Australian band The Church. Played on white plastic Sanyo record player with matching white plastic speakers and even a microphone for primitive Karaoke! Maybe 1978 or so?

Oct 2, 2002 at 11:11 AM Post #12 of 55
the first CD I bought was Signing Off by UB40, I must've been like 9 or 10 years old. dunno where I got the idea to get UB40 actually... anyway, my parents stereo wouldn't read it, but my mom returned it and brought back Promises And Lies (was twice as expensive, but mom covered it...love my mom!). thought it was fantastic then, learned all the lyrics, performed C'est La Vie playback (y'know, pretending to sing it, lol). later discovered their 80s material tho, which was much better...but ****, I loved that CD!

Oct 2, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 55
Stockhausen: Gesang der Jugend/Kontakte on DGG. First music ever heard (vinyl) and first CD bought after I'd destroyed my mother's copy. Yes, she's a musician, but the only reason she possessed something so strange was because the salesman had told her the recording consisted of electronic manipulations of Jewish cantors (hint: it doesn't).

That record influenced me tons as an audiocentric child. I used to take my brother's hoary TEAC two-track to school, remove the erase head and make loops of the school harpsichord and the goat in the field and everything else. I'd manually speed and slow the tape and record fractions of seconds in imitation of Karlheinz S's processing.

My biggest travel regret: Not taking a DAT machine to Berlin after the wall came down and massive construction began. Christ, the demolition sounded beautiful in that endless expanse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back