Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
Jul 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #77 of 388
Yeah you nailed it! I just got a pair of PX100-IIs and they are very similar but with a slightly different presentation (open back but smaller drivers; the soundstage is "smaller" in terms of raw size/relative sense of distance, but feels like it has more air/empty space). I am totally becoming a Sennheiser fanboy, they just do it right somehow...Sometimes I like a more clear-feeling sound, and I reach for my Buyers, but the Senns just sound so smooth and natural without feeling boring or dull, they definitely get the most ear time for me, the PX100-II especially as of late, mostly because they are so darn easy to just throw in my bag or pocket, and just as easy to throw on and off when I have a spare minute for a rock out session. They also have an insane genre bandwidth, they seem to do both classical and metal better than the HD439...
I second the HD439's, I love em to death for those times when all you want is a nice, laidback and comfy listening time with nice and seductive mids, extensive but calm bass, and lovely clear treble packaged in a somewhat spacious (Soundstage-wise) package

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #78 of 388
Yeah you nailed it! I just got a pair of PX100-IIs and they are very similar but with a slightly different presentation (open back but smaller drivers; the soundstage is "smaller" in terms of raw size/relative sense of distance, but feels like it has more air/empty space). I am totally becoming a Sennheiser fanboy, they just do it right somehow...Sometimes I like a more clear-feeling sound, and I reach for my Buyers, but the Senns just sound so smooth and natural without feeling boring or dull, they definitely get the most ear time for me, the PX100-II especially as of late, mostly because they are so darn easy to just throw in my bag or pocket, and just as easy to throw on and off when I have a spare minute for a rock out session. They also have an insane genre bandwidth, they seem to do both classical and metal better than the HD439...

Have you modded either of them? If you do, then that is when they really shine!

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #79 of 388
Grado sr80/225i
ad900x

my life would be incomplete without them

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #81 of 388
No, I am afraid of boosting the HD439 bass too much, it's perfect for me quantity-wise just like it is. If anything, I might just get leather pads for them to increase isolation a tad, although I have the HD25 now for when I really need that.

I've tried two mods with the PX100-II so far: cutting out the foam center, which didn't change the sound much, maybe brought the mids out just a touch but really I didn't hear anything I can vouch for, and PX200 pads, which made the sound overly warm and let the midbass/lower mids creep up on everything else, giving them a muffled/muddied sound. I'm using them now with MDR-G57 earpads, which are slightly thinner than stock and, IMO, let the mids come out just a touch more (they're also super cheap for 5 pairs on Amazon :p )

Quote:
Have you modded either of them? If you do, then that is when they really shine!

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #84 of 388
haha, yup. AD900 (now own the ad900x) and MS2i are the ones I've kept through all my purchases, preferred them to a lot of high end cans I've tried too. Absolute bargains.

if I could have a 3rd id take my ps500 too... There's just something magical about the ad900x with strings and female vocals...

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #85 of 388
Hello, first the hd598, but the cushions wear out(flatten fast and it's a cheap plasticbuild, and i bought for for 'dj'-work....just scratching the a&H xone 53's and i was amazed by the build-quality and the use of real metal, so it really pushes around your head and a great/rich/full sound .....:) and that for 150 euro's .....

greetings richard from holland 

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #89 of 388
My sennheiser HD 439 with an amp,
Crossfade LP's
Soul sl99(in ear)

I've kind of beaten off the path of "highs aren't perfectly balanced what a piece of sh*z!" And kind of gone the way of "wow these cans are really fun to listen to!" The hd 439 and crossfade just give me the goosebumps and are super fun to enjoy the music through! Now I still get high bitrate files and don't buy just for looks but I like people to see me wearing headphones so they get into them too! I just like having fun with my music now, too much technicality for me kind of ruined the "let's put on my headphones and get lost in the music" feeling I used to have due to thoughts of "geez hear that bass, it's way too punchy or wow these headphones suck because the mids are too recessed" I obviously won't stand overly exaggerated/all over the place (harsh highs still hurt my ears!) Or crackly noise from 24kbps tracks (yes I had those from my limewire days as a middle schooler) but I've taken on a whole new perspective of what I feel sounds right. Me.

To me lots of bass is fun and I like to dance to it, like hard style, and I get emotional during certain dubstep songs because the frequencies make me tingle.

Sure I haven't been exposed to super high five rigs but I don't really want to. What I have is good enough.* **

*These statements state the singular opinion of the poster and therefore do not apply to anyone else. All hate should not be directed to anyone other than the poster's subconscious mind and his/her brain.

**Statements not endorsed by any audiophile, only by the ears of a serious music listener and composer of instrumental pieces.

Edited to fix spelling and grammatical errors.

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #90 of 388
Quote:
Akg k240 sextetts

Damn, I saw this thread and was ready to post my vintage AKG K240 Sextetts as my 2nd favorite HP's and 14min before I throw it down someone else just did.  Man I love these HP's. Bought when I was in High School with every thing I had saved delivering newspapers.  With help from the vintage HP thread  I have these up and running.  At 600 Ohms they really need a decent amp.  Man they are musical and fun, I love these old HP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back