YOUR favourite high-end headphones to get lost in the music and forget about equipment???
Mar 5, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #17 of 31
Audio GD ref9/Goldpoint headphone PRO/JVC DX 1000. They are the least "analytical" headphone in my possession beside the koss Porta Pro. Warm, lush, organic with expansive soundstage and never sounds headphoney thin. Never feels claustrophobic even for 8h stints like most closed headphones do. The bit of extra isolation and laid back presentation also helps to get lost in the music. Also the filtering of fine detail also help. You get rid of all the crap but the essential stuff is still there.

LCD-2 would also be a good option if it wasn´t for the weight and occasional soundstage issues. A lot more detailed but still presented in a nice maner.
ED 8 have a bit to much of a clamping force and is again not quite as forgiving on crap recordings like the DX 1000.

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #18 of 31
The K1000 is amazingly economical in this sense. Even with the cheapest used amplifier gets you around the world. :) I do nothing but get lost in music when I put the K1000s on.

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #20 of 31
I would also have to say the la7000. Its has a balanced presentation while still keeping a personality and musicality. They may be better cans that will oust it in just one genre, but for a all around can, I dont think there is better.

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #21 of 31

Quote:
I would also have to say the la7000. Its has a balanced presentation while still keeping a personality and musicality. They may be better cans that will oust it in just one genre, but for a all around can, I dont think there is better.

Well said. I also find it extremely comfortable with the latest J$ pads. Stock pads were decent, Lawton modded pads I didn't care for so much, but J$ pads really nail it for me. That being said I can see how someone with a smaller head (mine is huge) might find them to fit too loosely and therefore not be as comfortable.

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #22 of 31
Omega 2, and going from memory, I would also say the HE90.

However, getting lost in the music is as much a function of being in the right mindset as it is listening to the right gear. No gear is perfect and more to the point no recording is perfect, and even with the right gear there are still times when I'm simply analyzing the music, or even wishing that it was off altogether. Then at other times I've gotten lost with the DT770, a cheap TV, or a generic car stereo.

When I first got into the hobby and good sound was still exciting and new I lost the ability to enjoy music on bad systems, but over time it came back. Now bad gear is just bad gear and good gear is just good gear. When you're in the right state for music your mind fills in where the gear lacks, and when you're in the wrong mindset no amount of quality gear will help you.

Still, on most days the main rig gets a lot less playtime than it should, mainly because listening to it is an EVENT and it more or less totally transports you right into the recording. That's pretty emotionally exhausting actually, and it's also how I know the rig is good.

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #23 of 31
Amazing post Catscratch...
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 31
My three 'get lost in' cans- and in no particular order:
HE Audio Jades
AKG K 1000
Audeaze LCD-2

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #25 of 31
Well, catscratch is not one of the many audiophiles that listen to their equipment rather than their music. One of the most intelligent responses I have ever read on Head-Fi.

If it isn't all about the music, why bother to listen?

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #26 of 31

Quote:
Well, catscratch is not one of the many audiophiles that listen to their equipment rather than their music. One of the most intelligent responses I have ever read on Head-Fi.

If it isn't all about the music, why bother to listen?

Atm I'm listening to some boogie woogie piano with my oldest set of HD600's fron the headphone output socket of a 5 disk CD changer and I'm loving it.

No doubt it would sound better if I fired up the mongrel and used any of a half dozen of my other cans.

But when it's all said and done, even though I'm aware of the shortcomings of the equipment, It still takes me away at times and I have to stop and listen and drink the sound in.

It's good to be critical enough to analyse and recognise what you are experiencing sonically with the equipment you have, but then let go - and let the music flow........ Unless you like listening to peaks and troughs in your setup's sound spectrum with the aid of pink noise.....

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #27 of 31
LCD-2s with my amp and source are the first cans that makes me listen to a whole record and doenst get me interested in just trying another song to see what the sound is like on that guitar, etc.

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #30 of 31
My D7000s have a relaxing sound signature that makes everything sound so engaging.  I like the crisp attack of my sr80s (I know, I'm blaspheming by mentioning a headphone that costs less than my immortal soul on Summit-Fi) and the analytical sound of a good pair of 600 series Sennheisers, but the D7000s are just much more immersing and rich. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back